PDA

View Full Version : 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel engines ???

Formula Jr
06-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I seem to recall that there was an issue with these, something about an internal oil pump going bad or something.
There is one for free, in a free untitled VW Rabbit on my local Graigslist.
could be a fun project to put in a boat for BIO Diesel experiment.....

Any of you car nuts rememebr these?

RedDog
06-11-2007, 06:07 PM
No help but brings back memories...

I worked on a nuclear construction project in 1980. One of the QA guys had a diesel Rabbit. He was a real idiot which could help explain the numerous QA problems at the plant. I don't know the whole story but in efforts to maximize mileage he did some very strange things. Removed / disabled the cold start ignitors. When he was starting it you would see a set of wires leading from the rear hatch to the engine compartment. Sometimes in the winter you would see him with a propane torch underneath the engine warming it up.

He also had a Jag sedan with an oil burning small block Chevy.

He fell for a lot of practical jokes. The guys impersonated the medical department and convinced him to bring a stool sample to work one day. And of course he had to take the "oath" over the phone because HR forgot to administer it when he hired in.

MOP
06-11-2007, 06:24 PM
My boss had one it was a night mare kept over heating cracking heads etc, he was real easy on the peddle the kind of guy you hated being behind!

Phil

Formula Jr
06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Phil, thats what I remembered. Something like that. Thanks for the confirmation. I think I'll pass.

Reddog, that's a very funny story. I can even see him under the damn car with the torch heating the pan. THERE ARE POEPLE LIKE THAT!

:)

Craig S
06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Pathfinder also made a marinized version. fwiw.

wrussellw
06-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Formula
Had one myself. Thought it was the right thing to do at the time. Big mistake. Had a local bridge over the Mississippi with a pretty steep grade on it. If my running start at it got interrupted I would have to turn off the a/c to make it over.

gold-n-rod
06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Reddog, that's a very funny story. I can even see him under the damn car with the torch heating the pan. THERE ARE POEPLE LIKE THAT!

:)

Back in the 80's, I had a co-worker with a diesel Toyota pickup. He was insane about going out 15 minutes before he left work and letting it warm up before driving off (before remote starters were invented). Worse yet, he'd come to work 15 minutes early and let it idle in the lot before shutting it down. Honestly, he'd do the cool down routine EVERY damn time he shut it off. :bonk: Going anywhere with him was a complete pain in the ass.

He also drove like an old woman.

PS: If Toyota offered a diesel Tacoma today, I'd be all over it like stink on ****!!! In fact, I might have two!!! :yes: