PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires….Sweet 16…..

dr
06-11-2007, 05:55 AM
I need tires for my trailer….the old ones have dry rot. I have some automotive ones I can put on but I assume (?) trailer tires are especially designed for that application. Should I spend the money or use the ones I already have?
Thanks
David

f_inscreenname
06-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Trailer tires are usually Bi-ass ply. :wink:

Dr. Dan
06-11-2007, 06:58 AM
:bonk:Side walls and Load Range Strength is what Trailer Tires are about... do a search under the Performance Talk Section, and read up!

Don't go half ass, by the right equipt. If you are towing a block to the water...then thats one thing... but! If you intend to Tow! Outfit your Trailer the correct way....

Depending on the environment and Sun exposure... you are going to have to budget for tires... probably every 3 to 5 years. I have 6 Tires... 2 Spares, 4 on the ground... they all get replaced - to fore go the Dry Rot issue.

Doc Trailering Fool :bonk:

ChromeGorilla
06-11-2007, 09:04 AM
When I worked at Michelin, myself and a co worker were discussing (arguing) whether or not you could use light truck tires instead of trailer tires. He had a 26' American Offhore and needed new tires for his trailer. We were able to puchase smaller diameter tires i.e. 14, 15 or 16's pretty darn cheap. Since Michelin does not make trailer tires he was gonna use some truck tires.

Long story short, we talked with a R+D engineer who actually designs new models of tires. In short he said don't ever use truck tires, buy ST tires.

Just my .02 :cool!:

gcarter
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
When I worked at Michelin, myself and a co worker were discussing (arguing) whether or not you could use light truck tires instead of trailer tires. He had a 26' American Offhore and needed new tires for his trailer. We were able to puchase smaller diameter tires i.e. 14, 15 or 16's pretty darn cheap. Since Michelin does not make trailer tires he was gonna use some truck tires.
Long story short, we talked with a R+D engineer who actually designs new models of tires. In short he said don't ever use truck tires, buy ST tires.
Just my .02 :cool!:
Did he say why????

Last Tango
06-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Trailer Boats Magazine will tell you this:
Use ONLY trailer-rated tires. They have many more layers in the tread and side-wall to resist blow-out from over-heating. Regardless of whether you have only two tires under your boat trailer, or four tires, they are smaller than car tires and must carry a heavier weight per tire than automobiles or trucks. They also sit longer between uses and are designed to account for that.
Indeed, radial tires for boat trailers are now widely available and have far superior performance characteristics than the bias-ply tires. Is giving up your boat to a trailer accident worth saving a couple dollars difference for the extra safety of the radials? I have four trailer-rated radials under my boat trailer and after 16 months of frequent and often lengthy trailing, they still look brand new and have even wear across the tread. Set them at the absolute correct psi and you will get the best life and safety from them. Not a good idea to keep ANY tire on ANY vehicle more than four years. Tires are designed with that life in mind. Classic cars and all types of trailers should change their tires every four years regardless of mileage, as well.

Smart and safe, or cheap and stupid?

MOP
06-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I run radial trailer tires and would not run anything else, the difference is more then amazing. I had bias on my 16's trailer when I got it was a bugger to move around the driveway, I replaced them with radials. I could then wheel it around very easily, the tires on my 22's trailer are also radials. To my thinking why run bias they run hotter and do not roll as easy!

Phil

Formula Jr
06-11-2007, 07:45 PM
How far are you going there Dave to the ramp? You want to move the boat around and just to the local ramp or actually tow it to some distance at speed?

dr
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately the trailer/boat is used infrequently….and the round trip is 20 miles…..but MOP makes an excellent point…..maneuverability in the driveway is a significant factor….good point….

And good information from all…thanks..

MOP
06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately the trailer/boat is used infrequently….and the round trip is 20 miles…..but MOP makes an excellent point…..maneuverability in the driveway is a significant factor….good point….
And good information from all…thanks..

The moving around is so different, a guess would be 60-70% easier. That to an old fart like me is signifigant!!!!

Phil

dr
06-12-2007, 11:02 AM
The moving around is so different, a guess would be 60-70% easier. That to an old fart like me is signifigant!!!!
Phil
Me too……At 55 I find myself “re-engineering” things all the time due to my age….IE home projects….used to I would buy cheaper materials even if it meant more labor or effort….not so now days…..