PDA

View Full Version : 496 Must Read!

MOP
06-10-2007, 07:50 AM
MERCRUISER SERVICE BULLETIN 2001-6 "Required 496 MAG HO / 8.1S
HO Push Rod Replacement"
2001-2002 MCM 496 MAG HO sterndrive engines (s/nos OM025976
through OM025985 & s/nos OM061091 through OM061773) and MIE
8.1S HO inboard engines (s/nos OM026663 through OM027049)
Warranty codes: MM72, MX16 & Uniform Failure Observation (UFO) 423
A machining operation was omitted on the intake & exhaust valve push
rods used in the the engines listed. This situation can cause the push
rods to fail due to interference w/ the rocker arm. All intake & exhaust
valve push rods must be replaced w/ new parts that have a machined
taper at each end.
Copy of bulletin was sent to all boat manufacturers. Merc lists
replacement intake valve pushrod set, exhaust valve push rod set,
exhaust manifold to cylinder head gasket, rocker arm cover gasket,
rocker arm.

yeller
06-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks MOP.
When I first got my boat, a mechanic had mentioned to me that he remembered a recall for the pushrods on the 496. I searched everywhere and asked several shops, but could not get any info. It doesn't affect my engine, but it's good to finally know.

Carl C
06-10-2007, 05:48 PM
No recall notice on mine yet. ('05)

zelatore
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Is this a Merc-only issue, or is it a GM thing? i.e. are Volvo and Crusader also about to send out notice? (since we're part of the Genmar family, we don't use Merc in our gas boats)

I've got a ton of Crusader and Volvo 8.1's in the field - if it's a GM issue I'm about to get really, really busy.

I haven't seen anything from either of them, but I've been out of the office for nearly 3 weeks and it could be hiding in the hundreds of emails I'll find when I return Monday.

Please be Merc only....Please be Merc only...:crossfing:

Don

LKSD
06-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Is this a Merc-only issue, or is it a GM thing? i.e. are Volvo and Crusader also about to send out notice? (since we're part of the Genmar family, we don't use Merc in our gas boats)
I've got a ton of Crusader and Volvo 8.1's in the field - if it's a GM issue I'm about to get really, really busy.
I haven't seen anything from either of them, but I've been out of the office for nearly 3 weeks and it could be hiding in the hundreds of emails I'll find when I return Monday.
Please be Merc only....Please be Merc only...:crossfing:
Don

We (collectivley) may be about to get busy.. Usually that is because of GM.. Like the fuel rail pulse dampener clip. That was on GM, Volvo & Merc.. However that was a quick easy recall to do.. The push rods are a bit more indepth..

If some people are going to have to go that far in, some guys may want to upgrade to roller rockers while there :yes: :) Jamie / Lakeside

yeller
06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
We (collectivley) may be about to get busy...I wouldn't expect too much of a rush. I believe this is an old bulletin. I was told of the recall last spring...just couldn't find it posted anywhere.

LKSD
06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
:bonk: I should have read it a little closer, The 06 caught my eye for some reason.. My bad when I re read it it was the earlier engines, not 06.. The bulletin was 06.. :bonk: So yes at this point probably wont see to many of these.. :boat::) Jamie

zelatore
06-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, so far I haven't found any urgent communications from Volvo or Crusader so I think I'm safe. Of course, I've still got a ton of voice mail and email to dig through but nothing that looks like manufacturer stuff.

The recent fuel rail clip campaign was easy enough - this would have been a much bigger job! Let's see, 2 engines per boat, and I'd estimate 40 boats that would have been affected with 8.1's. At least my guys aren't performace boats so they wouldn't be pushing me for upgrades at the same time.

Don