PDA

View Full Version : what happened on my trip home?

fasttrucker
06-09-2007, 08:45 PM
was coming back today from the cheaspeake inn.Hot spot on the c+d canal here in maryland.Was running with a fast warlock performance boat.When it felt like I ran over a plastic bag or something.Like my prop slipped.Like I spun my prop.I lost 10mph.Everything seems the same but my gps shows 10mph less.I wonder what happened?Anybody????????????

Mr X
06-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Your engine coupler is going bad........

sweet 16 1966
06-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Thats a fun fix- Pulling the outdrive and then possibly the engine.

Cuda
06-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Thats a fun fix- Pulling the outdrive and then possibly the engine.
I've heard of people changing them without pulling the engine, but I damn sure wouldn't try it.

Oh, that's right, neither of my boats has a coupler.:wink:

LKSD
06-10-2007, 12:34 PM
My guess is one of 3 things..

Coupler

Prop hub

Upper gear housing clutch issues

Hopefully it is just a prop hub for your sake, however you should be running a solid hub B1, so the chances of it being that are slim to none.. Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
06-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Good luck. That is some serious power through a B-1 and a heavy boat.

Formula Jr
06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Best guess? Clutch is slipping and/or worn out, or the shift cable is not alowing the clutch to index correctly. This easy to test and look at.

You don't need another prop to test for prop hub slipping. . Just index, (mark with lines) the prop you got, run it hard, sense the slippage, look at indexes to see if they are still lined up. That will rule out prop hub slip.

Good news is a Clutch assembly replace is straight forward.

Carl C
06-10-2007, 05:42 PM
When I spun a prop hub I could only go idle speed.

LKSD
06-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Best guess? Clutch is slipping and/or worn out, or the shift cable is not alowing the clutch to index correctly. This easy to test and look at.

You don't need another prop to test for prop hub slipping. . Just index, (mark with lines) the prop you got, run it hard, sense the slippage, look at indexes to see if they are still lined up. That will rule out prop hub slip.

Good news is a Clutch assembly replace is straight forward.

True, but if he has the steel hub prop it cant spin all the way around inside.. I would have to imagine that with that boat & power he would only have the steel hub.. The rubber/poly hub would probably blow out easily behind that weight & power.

Good point on the cluch.. It is not the grunt work that ripping out an engine to do a coupler is..

Hopefully he will make out ok.. :) Jamie / Lakeside