PDA

View Full Version : Rainwater through engine hatch cracks...

techspecial
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Is there a secret way of keeping rainwater from running through the engine cover cracks? Is there supposed to be a seal there that I'm missing? I get a substantial amount every time it rains...It just runs down the back of my cockpit cover and right through the crack. The bilge pump never really pumps the sump dry so in the heat of the summer it gets like a steam bath under the cover and keeps everything damp. Any ideas out there? Thanks, Mike:propeller:

MOP
06-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I got fed up with the hatch design and added drains, the hatch catches a tremendous amount of water. What ever possessed Donzi not to install drains is beyond me! My boat is only left in the water at an event, one year there was a torrent of a rain I watched my bilge pump run its heart out that is when I decided to fix Donzi's mistake! I plugged the the two forward holes and enlarged the two aft ones to accept lightly flared 5/8" tubing, I cut two short lengths of copper tubing the ends then cut two small blocks of Starboard and drilled them for the tubing then stuck it all together with 5200, one goes to its own overboard dump and the other is T-ed into one of my bilge pump hoses after the high point. Just after I did the job we had a monster rain, I grabbed may rain gear and watched the water come out as if it was being pumped. Just for ****s & giggles I put the plug in and went out about an hour later and pulled to see not one drop of water come out. No longer will anything in my bilge get wet from above, also I can now leave my plug in "ALL" the time!

Phil

techspecial
06-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks Phil...I really like that idea...I just happen to have a bunch of tubing around here that I was wondering what to do with. I thought something was missing. My boat stays in the water all the time and I thought that it was leaking under the water line. I vacuumed it dry and we had a little drought and it stayed dry as a bone. Then the rain came and my bilge pump switch stuck and I nearly had a little problem. It's amazing how much water accumulates in a short amount of time!!! Thanks Alot, Mike:)

Tony
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Mike Pankok
'86 Minx #44 260 HP Bone Stock

'86 Bone Stock Minx...sounds like Ciocci's old boat...sweet ride for sure!

Phil, when you say an "overboard dump", what do you mean?
I can envision t-ing into the bilge pump, but where does the overboard dump exit the hull?

Carl C
06-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Wow, Mop, that's a really clever fix. I can see more folks doing that mod. :yes:

MOP
06-09-2007, 08:00 AM
For the one overboard dump I used a 5/8" S/S through hull fitting, like I said I cheated on the stbd side and T-ed into my second bilge pump hose. It is about to rain here when I get a dry break I will shoot a couple of pics.

Phil

vonkamp
06-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Phil,
Brilliant!
Could you post some pic's?

MOP
06-09-2007, 08:11 AM
You will need to pull the engine hatch, the original tiny drain is very close to the corner so care must be taken not to nick the gel coat with the drill chuck. Two ways to avoid nicking the gel is to use a bit extender (which I have 2 and did not use) or bend a couple of small piece of tin to 90 degrees and tape it in place around the corner where the chuck can & will hit. Me who rigged boats for more years then I care to admit to nicked the corner it two places, so don't as I did, thinking I was slick and could do it without:bonk: