PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

MOP
06-04-2007, 07:27 PM
I put a new cap/rotor and plugs in, on the first and short run it sounded a bit off. Got up on plane just fine and seemed to have good power, was running easy maybe 3500 when like you flipped a switch a cylinder came to life and everything sounded great. After slowing to a stop and re accelerating had a dropped cylinder, first thought was a bad plug. Back at the ranch pulled the plugs they looked very good with no wet ones, apparently it was dropping one under load. So I sprung for a new set of blue MSD coil wound, the speed shop gave me the longest set they had IE: BB Chevy. Well I ended up with 7 perfect fit and one 6 inches to short, I called MSD they wanted $20+ for one universal wire!!! I am looking for a 36" matching wire if anyone just happens to have one. I have the 30 Inch and a few bucks!

Phil

maddad
06-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Phil, I don't have blue, but I have this 8.5 super conductor and 7 of his SBC buddies. They ran down under the stainless marine manifolds.

RickR
06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
If you need MSD Heli-Coil Blue 8mm I've got you covered.
What end to you need for the cap HEI (Merc) type or early Chevy?
Do you have a spark plug wire crimper or do you want me to put the end on?

MOP
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks to both of you for the quick reply! I have 8 new blues with one short. They are the early HEI L's at the cap and straight boot at the plug pic below. I need a 36" and have a 30" to trade down $!!!!!:bonk:

BigGrizzly
06-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Phil I'm not sure the plug wires are your problem. always look for the change, in your case it is the cap rotor and Plugs. In 40 years of racing I learned one really good thing "don't change plugs just before the final " new plugs have been known to be bad right off. I actually had this happen to the Criterion two years ago. Chased my tail for two hours. even put my ignition on a an engine on dyno, because I didn't believe it was a plug fun ny the first time in my life it was the first and easiest plug.

MOP
06-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Randy you are 100% on that one, it was my first thought and out they came. All looked very good no wet ones but that still does not rule one of them out them out, my wires were 3 years old so it was time and that will leave only the plugs.

Phil

RickR
06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
+1 w/Grizz, I just did a tune up on the Ducati and had a bad NEW plug. Engine would run fine after it was warmed up but loaded up when cold.

Just to be clear, your distributor has male posts (HEI) that the wire end fits over?
36" overall? My closest wire is 43" do you want me to cut it?
Do you want me to assemble it or just send the parts (I have a crimper)?

Email your snail mail address to me and I'll send it to you.

RickSE
06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Phil,
There is a slight chance I may have one at home in one of my scrap boxes if RickR's doesn't work. You can buy the wire in Bulk, 25' rolls (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=msd+plug+wires&N=700+115+4294845085&Ntk=KeywordSearch), but as you said it's not cost effective at this point.

MOP
06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
+1 w/Grizz, I just did a tune up on the Ducati and had a bad NEW plug. Engine would run fine after it was warmed up but loaded up when cold.
Just to be clear, your distributor has male posts (HEI) that the wire end fits over?
36" overall? My closest wire is 43" do you want me to cut it?
Do you want me to assemble it or just send the parts (I have a crimper)?
Email your snail mail address to me and I'll send it to you.

Hi the cap is a regular old style Merc with male ends, Is the 43" all made up if so I can swap it on to #1 and not bother to cut it. I do have to agree with Randy on the plug issue, one could very well not fire right under load. They looked mint when I pulled them so they all had to be firing at "canal" speed!!! If it screws up after the new wires I will chuck another set in, boy do I miss the old Champion plug machine I used to have. If you could not blow the spark out on the machine you knew it would fire in use! I guess the Champion machine kind of dates me LOL!

PM to follow!

Phil

RickR
06-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Wire is not assembled.
Do you want me to assemble it @ 36" overall or send you the parts?

Got your snail mail address/

MOP
06-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Wire is not assembled.
Do you want me to assemble it @ 36" overall or send you the parts?
Got your snail mail address/

Parts are fine I have a plug wire crimper!

Thanks Phil

RickR
06-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Wire is in the mail.
Pass on your 30" wire to someonoe who needs it:smash:

MOP
06-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Wire is in the mail.
Pass on your 30" wire to someonoe who needs it:smash:

Thanks Rick! Will run with one yellow this weekend, probably to find a "bad Plug".

Phil