PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch tether... USE IT PLEASE!!!

roadtrip se
06-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Having just finished up one of the finest AOTH Donzi Rallies I have ever enjoyed and getting ready for yet another as a first timer, the infamous Lake George, I thought it was time to start a quick safety reminder thread.

We had a close call this year at AOTH when a runner had their throttle handle come apart in some rough water. I heard, second hand, that this captain had a tough time getting the boat under control after the incident and was not wearing a kill switch tether.

I had a similar experience on the St Clair River a few years back when a seat slider system gave way at 70+ and I found myself in the back seat staring at the sky. The kill switch worked flawlessly as I came off plane as opposed to hurtling down the River.

You just never know what might happen on an otherwise perfect day at the speeds we run.

Please use your tethers for your safety, if not for your own skin, for the others in the boat and those boating on the water near you. If you don't have one, please install one and use it! This should just be an automatic part of your time behind the wheel. And for goodness sake, if you don't ever use the thing any other time, find a way to hook it up if you are going to run in a rally with me and my friends.

While I am on the safety soap box, I was quite impressed with the numbers of people sporting new life vests at the AOTH, especially for as fast as the average speeds were for the entire rally.

Soap box back to the closet and public service announcement completed...

chappy
06-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Agreed. My boat is mild, I'm lucky to see low 60's. Still wear lanyard on my wrist or leg. For everyone's safety on or near the water.:boat:

Rich

Cuda
06-03-2007, 11:18 AM
I always wear it around my ankle in the 22, if we are going to run above idle speed. I hook it in my belt loop on my Formula.

Ranman
06-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Something I noticed since I do always wear mine in the 18 is that my 27PC does not appear to have one... Do they not come on the cruisers?

TheFees
06-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I have a 1987 18 2+3 and a few years back my tether safety cut off switch stopped working. I can pull the clip, and it keeps running. I guess the obvious is to check with the switch itself, is their any other reasons why this "system" doesn't work any more?

Cuda
06-03-2007, 04:36 PM
I have a 1987 18 2+3 and a few years back my tether safety cut off switch stopped working. I can pull the clip, and it keeps running. I guess the obvious is to check with the switch itself, is their any other reasons why this "system" doesn't work any more?
My Minx did the same thing.

Carl C
06-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Life jacket on if conditions dictate

Port tab down a bit

Drive down

Tether on

Hang on!

jl1962
06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Had one added this Spring. An ounce of prevention.....:wink:

Team Jefe
06-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Agreed My old friend. I always use mine. At speed in big water, its just too easy to get tossed out..or even down away from the helm

synack
06-04-2007, 08:42 AM
In some states, like Illinois, you're required by law to wear it if your boat has it.

Don't break the law! :)

Rootsy
06-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Always used the tether with the 16 at any planing speed... the 18 will get one, it's in the box on the shelf iwth the rest of the parts and the wiring harness is wired for it... it's a NO BRAINER... that and life jackets...

fegettes
06-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Yes, very much agree.

I need to remember to run my Blower every time, before starting. I usually remember, just not all of the time.

Steve

Formula Jr
06-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Seeing someone not put their lanyard on tells you something about them.

They are not players...

We have been really good about all these gatherings. There have been no major accidents. That is something to celibrate! And I'm sure that is due to some "Captain's Calls."

Diesel Dog
06-04-2007, 07:24 PM
This is an actual emergency room photo of a fisherman who lost control of his high-speed bass boat in West Virginia Warden's believe that he was traveling at a speed of approximately 75 mph at the time of the accident. He was unable to negotiate a curve in the narrow waterway. Unfortunately for him, upon striking the shoreline and being ejected from the boat, he landed back end first on an old fence post.
You can probably picture what happened next, but the attached picture really says it all. The good news is that after about 6 months,this man made a full recovery afte! r suffering a shattered hip, broken leg, several broken ribs, internal injuries and soft tissue damage. Doctors credited his recovery to the fact that the post lodge d itself so tightly that there was little or no blood loss.
Now that's got to hurt

Forrest
06-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Jeezzzz-us . . . :eek!:

chappy
06-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Was that from a boat accident or a motorcycle accident?

Diesel Dog
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Bass Boat!:bonk:

Cuda
06-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I gotta believe it's photoshopped. I don't think they are going to allow pictures in the ER.

BUIZILLA
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
the picture is 110% real...

Carl C
06-07-2007, 08:20 AM
MP's on top of everything! The photo looks real to me but I tend to believe the first story; I don't see how this man could have survived.:eek!:

chappy
06-08-2007, 10:18 PM
MP's on top of everything! The photo looks real to me but I tend to believe the first story; I don't see how this man could have survived.:eek!:
That photo's been around for quite some time, that's the reason for the question in post #16. :idea:

Carl C
06-09-2007, 06:58 AM
I see, but either way the pic looks real to me and I bet the poor guy didn't make it. There used to be a site called "Ogrish" that was devoted to gore. They took it down and I'm glad they did because I'd find myself looking at it out of curiosity even though it was disturbing and some of the man against man brutality I saw there still bothers me and always will.:(

handfulz28
06-11-2007, 01:10 AM
[hijack on]
All I see is a hot nurse in the background...:pimp:
[hijack off]

Carl C
06-11-2007, 06:53 AM
[hijack on]
All I see is a hot nurse in the background...:pimp:
[hijack off]It looks like SHE was photoshopped in!