PDA

View Full Version : What's this switch for?

BLACKIE
06-02-2007, 10:08 PM
This question is for RedDog or RickR. What is the toggle switch next to the engine hatch cover lower bracket? See attached photo.

I've owned this boat for better than three years and believe it or not today is the first time I noticed this switch.

Any ideas? :confused:

goatee
06-02-2007, 11:44 PM
when you flip it, does your neighbors garage door open?

LKSD
06-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Maybe its for an ejection seat?? :D

How about to kill power to the ignition? or maybe an auto bilge switch?? Just guessing.. Jamie

DonCig
06-03-2007, 09:47 AM
This question is for RedDog or RickR. What is the toggle switch next to the engine hatch cover lower bracket? See attached photo.
I've owned this boat for better than three years and believe it or not today is the first time I noticed this switch.
Any ideas? :confused:

Engine hatch light?

RedDog
06-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Have noticed a light coming on when you switch it :wink:

mrfixxall
06-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Its obvious somthing somebody installed and none of us have any idea...Just trace the wires to see where it goes..

Ejection seat!!! Funny.

RedDog
06-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Its obvious somthing somebody installed and none of us have any idea...Just trace the wires to see where it goes..
Ejection seat!!! Funny.

Oh - some of us have a good idea....

BLACKIE
06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks RedDog, I knew you would know what it was. I suspected that it was a light but no light comes on when it's thrown. The bulb is probably burned out. Where is the light located?:boggled::boggled:

BLACKIE
06-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I tried to trace the wire but it goes into a harness and then ????????

I do like the ejection seat theory though.......

MOP
06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Where is the light located? Obviously under the "Ejection Seat"

RedDog
06-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks RedDog, I knew you would know what it was. I suspected that it was a light but no light comes on when it's thrown. The bulb is probably burned out. Where is the light located?:boggled::boggled:

Dang if I can remember - I thought it was on the bulkhead right in front of the engine and below the switch. Or am I thinking about the one I put in my 22? I didn't install the one you have.

Speaking of mystery switches - have you figured out the one that is just above your right ankle / below your right knee when sitting in the driver's seat :wink::wink::wink:

Or have you not seen that one either???

BLACKIE
06-03-2007, 07:38 PM
OK, I found the switch's purpose. It controls two engine compartment lights that are on each side of the forward bulkhead tucked up above the storage mounts for the anchor light pole. You cannot see them unless you stick your head below the deck level. Funny thing is they don't work unless you have the panel lights on.

You guys got me going tonight so I just had to go out to the garage and play with all the switches until I found the right combination. Took me almost 30 minutes fiddling with the switches until I got them to work.:bonk:

But.......RedDog, you got me with the second switch located by my right ankle. Actually I couldn't find a "switch" but I did find a "button" about a quarter of an inch in diameter right under the floodlight below the panel. Is that what your talking about? What does it do? I could not push it in at all. Maybe this "IS" the ejection seat control?:wink:

RickR
06-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Blackie

I wired the engine compartment lights off the dash light switch so I would not accidently run the battery down.

Your 18 went through a lot of clutches BEFORE I bought her. The button (momentary switch) on the right kick panel bypasses the neutral safety switch so you can start the engine in gear. I never used it, oil pressure on start up is more important than a clutch. And, I never had clutch issues.

The ejection seat works by depressing the lever on the right side of the helm (throttle) :eek!:

Ranman
06-03-2007, 08:22 PM

I want to know why for the last 3 years I have never seen you out on the lake once? Do you ever make it out to Gull, Muscamoot, Strawberry, etc? Do you only boat during the week?

BLACKIE
06-03-2007, 09:23 PM
OK, I think I've got all the switches in order now. Thanks for all your input guys.

Ranman, I haven't been able to get out much the last couple of years because of the work I've been doing and flight instructing on weekends. I retired from Chrysler three years ago and I've been contracting since. I've had five different jobs in the last three years that kept me busy. I'm between contracts right now so I'm planning to get out a little more.

Part of the problem is getting my wife out in the boat. She's kind of scared of it. We used to have a 25' Nova and she was OK in that but this is a little small for her. I'm am very conservative when I drive with her but it makes no difference. I've even let her drive, that helps but she needs more seat time. Smooth water helps but lake St. Clair rarely has smooth water, especially on the weekends. I'm going to try to get her out more this summer and maybe she will get more used to it. Thus, when I go out it's usually by myself in the morning on weekdays. I'm going to try and get her out on the weekends and maybe cruise Metro beach before the lake gets too rough. Maybe we will see you out there one day.

We used to go to gull and muskamoot in the Nova all the time. The water is much shallower now then it was then and I'm leary of going over there without another boat that knows where the deeper water is.

BLACKIE
06-03-2007, 09:34 PM
RickR, I almost forgot to ask, why would you want to start the engine in gear? When you mentioned clutches what did you mean? Clutches in the outdrive. I've found the KC drive to be fairly bulletproof. I've only had to change the drive oil and ujoints since I've had the boat. Did it have clutch problems before you owned it?

PS I had to change the throttle lever because the old one just broke and parts fell out of it last year. The mechanic never metioned a neutral over ride switch so I didn't know I had one. I wonder if it still will work with the new throttle lever?

RickR
06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Blackie
You do not want to start your engine in gear. At the time (early 90s) I rode in a high performance Allison that was set up to start in gear to save the it's dog clutch. I thought it might be a good idea for your 18 because it had gone through a few clutches BEFORE I bought it (wild and crazy running on Lake Michigan).
I never had clutch problems even though we spent a lot of time in the Gulf running hard.
To save the clutch I never (well rarely :wink:) throw the hammer down from idle speed and always tried to chop the throttle when the prop comes out of the water while jumping waves.
My wife is the reason we have a 22 but I cannot blame her. For some reason she always seemed to be on the wet side of the boat, especially when running in cool weather, I always offered to let her drive :wink:
I understand the arguement about SBC/BBC in an 18 Classic. The COG changes with the BBC/King Cobra combo which makes for a low transom while sitting and a higher cruising speed (porpising @ low speeds) BUT most people arguing the merrits of a SBC in an 18 have never ridden in a BBC 18. Top speeds will be similar but for torque and acceleration there is "No Substitute for Cubic Inches". To me, your boat is more FUN than any other I have been on (although GEOO's was awesome)
BTW: Some of the wiring on your 18 was done in the early 90s BEFORE I knew the advantages of heat shring/double wall tubing, color coding of wires, and the corrosive ability of saltwater.
Sorry you had to replace the remote, it must be me :confused:, the remote on my 22 is failing also. must be the seat time :)

RickR and Jamesbon (about the time Jamesbon started his 21GT project ;), last century) discussing the "Meaning of Life" and BBCs @ "The Portifino, and Reddog w/Lil'Dog

BLACKIE
06-04-2007, 08:55 AM
RickR, Thanks for the information on my boat. I really do appreciate your sharing your experiences with the 18'. I especially like the photos of her in her past lives. If you have any more please send them, my email is hrblack@comcast.net. RedDog has sent me several and they are good ones too.

I would like to hear more of the history of my boat too. if you would like to chat sometime email me your phone(s) and I will give you a call in the evening. My number is 586 703-7751. Call anytime if you like.

RedDog
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Is that pick of me and Little Dog at Tellico?

He isn't so little now - about 6-2" and 175#. Had his first day as a college student today.