PDA

View Full Version : New business

Cuda
06-02-2007, 05:30 PM
I took a class on refinishing tubs, so I could branch out.

I just finished my tub. I recoated the tile and the tub. It came out pretty damn good for my first attempt. I had Debbie drop off flyers at local realtors yesterday. Figure it will save them thousands of dollars compared to replacing an old ugly colored tile.

At least she likes it. :)

RedDog
06-02-2007, 06:29 PM
pretty neat - could you send me a flyer so I get a better idea about this. Maybe you want to travel to Big Orange Country for a little work?

tsfloyd at comcast dot net

Cuda
06-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Here are the two flyers. One for realtors, and one for doors.

gold-n-rod
06-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Looks nice, Joe, but I have some questions.

A lot of funky old tub/shower/surrounds have tile issues such as bad grout, bad caulking, mold, etc. Seems that has to be addressed before a new finish can be applied. Does the finish cover the grout/caulk????? Or is that redone afterward?

Otherwise, it's like putting a new dress on an old whore. :bonk:

Cuda
06-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Looks nice, Joe, but I have some questions.
A lot of funky old tub/shower/surrounds have tile issues such as bad grout, bad caulking, mold, etc. Seems that has to be addressed before a new finish can be applied. Does the finish cover the grout/caulk????? Or is that redone afterward?
Otherwise, it's like putting a new dress on an old whore. :bonk:
You cut out the old caulk. Any place grout is missing in the tile, you can buy a can of white wall grout at Home Depot for $1 to fill in any spots. I had a 4 holes where the old shower door was mounted to the wall with mollys that I filled with Bondo, and a couple of missing grout joints that I also filled at the same time, then I put new caulk around the tub where it meets the tile.

LKSD
06-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Pretty neat! Is it a fiberglass coating? That stuff looks great.. :) Jamie

Cuda
06-03-2007, 11:23 AM
The top coat is a high solids sprayable 2 component aliphatic acrylic urethane used as a finishing coat for porcelain, fiberglass, ceramic or any industrial use.

I think the real secret is the primer, tubs and tile are like glass, hardly anthing will stick to them. The primer is a two component, 1:1 ratio polyamide cured epoxy primer with three Silanes blended into the catalyst. Used in the aerospace industry.

rustnrot
06-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Is either the primer or final coat supposed to be sprayed on? If so, with what? Is there a track record, i.e. lots of happy customers for several years so far?

Cuda
06-03-2007, 05:02 PM
They both are sprayed on. I don't know the history, but the manufacturor back it with a five year waranty from lifting or peeling.

LKSD
06-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Sounds like some neat stuff. I would think you would get some good business from house flippers.. :) Jamie