PDA

View Full Version : 1994 King Cobra - Trim Repair - Fluid

Brambo
06-02-2007, 02:36 PM
I am doing the Valve Body Seal Kit to hopefully fix the leak down when under 1/2 throttle or more. Now that everything is apart I have a couple of questions:

I picked up Evinrude Power Trim/Tilt & Steering Fluid & it is motor oil color, but the fluid in the unit is red (So I would assume the former owner has changed to ATF). Can these fluids be mixed??? Or do I need to completely drain old fluid - or - just use Dextron II ATF?

I can not get the Check Valves out of the Manifold, is there a "trick" for this?

I would think both filters would be in the Kit. There is no new filter for the top (the one that is held in place with the gear unit).

Thanks in advance, as I do not have much experience with hydraulic systems.

MOP
06-02-2007, 03:18 PM
You can use ATF it works fine, most of us do! The factory oil is similar to HiTran hydraulic oil. I like AFT due to its light weight and seal conditioning properties, heavy oil works the system harder.

Phil

mrfixxall
06-02-2007, 03:24 PM
What mop said,,,try tapping the trim switch (just a tap) this will blow the valve out but put a few rags in front of the valve to catch it and it will make a mess..