PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 280 stainless prop won't fit new shaft

problemchild
06-01-2007, 08:32 AM
First of all, in reguards to my last post about the 400 small block, sorry I couldn't get the pictures of the heads-we had to take the motor+parts into the machine shop before I could get a chance. I also think we'll just get a 383and be done with it. (the 383 seemed to be the favorite :wink:).

Second, I went to put the stainless prop on the newly rebuilt drive and found that it wouldn't slide on as far as it previously had, leaving a large gap between the hub and the drive, as the splines were shorter on the new prop shaft??? my aluminum volvo prop still fits fine, but because volvo doesn't make stainless props with that pitch we had to have a volvo hub pressed into a mercruiser prop-not sure if we can press the hub in further to the prop, or if I need a different prop shaft, or what...
Thanks again for all your help,
-Alex
PS. looking forward to seeing everone at the 1000 islands this year, we live 20miles down river from the event. let me know if I can do anything to help...

mrfixxall
06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Volvo makes a short spline prop shaft and a long spline prop shaft,,,the guy that rebuilt the shaft probably replaced the prop shaft with a short shaft and thats why your prop wont worl now...But their is a fixx for it,,you have to replace the prop cone with the extended threads that goes into the end of the prop..You will have to drill and tap the prop shaft fpr the new cone..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-AQ-250-270-280-prop-cone-854045-NEW-2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ124104QQihZ009QQitemZ 190117394723QQrdZ1

penbroke
06-01-2007, 10:52 AM
If your old prop fits fine the issue is with the hub in your new prop. NOT the shaft. I have a bunch of props and they all seat a bit different depending on the hub. This just requires the use of different length thrust spacers. You can have a bit of a gap there with no ill effect.

How big is the gap?

Frank

BigGrizzly
06-01-2007, 07:59 PM
The so called long hub and short hub are the hub not the shaft. the shaft is the same length. the prop nut is different. Volvo doesn't make a stainless prop but I have them and can guarantee will work better than the merc hybrid! People have done the hub thing before with the same results you are experiencing

mrfixxall
06-01-2007, 09:17 PM
The so called long hub and short hub are the hub not the shaft. the shaft is the same length. the prop nut is different. Volvo doesn't make a stainless prop but I have them and can guarantee will work better than the merc hybrid! People have done the hub thing before with the same results you are experiencing

WELL THEN I GUESS THEY MADE A SHORT HUB AND A LONG HUB FOR NO REASON THEN.........

penbroke
06-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Actually, there ARE two different shaft lengths. The good news is with the right combination of parts you can put most any prop either shaft.

The attached page is lifted from the current Michigan Wheel catalog.

Frank
Short shaft:eek!: with long hub prop.:yes:

mrfixxall
06-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Actually, there ARE two different shaft lengths. The good news is with the right combination of parts you can put most any prop either shaft.
The attached page is lifted from the current Michigan Wheel catalog.
Frank
Short shaft:eek!: with long hub prop.:yes:

THANX FRANK,,I KNEW THEIR WAS TWO SHAFTS BUT I COULDNT FIND ONE ON THE NET,,,THEY SHOW IT ON MY FISH...I KNEW THEY WERE ONLY 1/2 INCH OR SO APART....

tmdog
06-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey fixall, you cranky, or is the caps button on your keyboard broken??? ;)

FWIW, cryptic responses such as that one about the long/short hubs being built for no reason dont help anyone...

Since this thread has been jacked by that response. It reminds me of a referee in a fixed fight. It's not the first time. :toiletpap

mrfixxall
06-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey fixall, you cranky, or is the caps button on your keyboard broken??? ;)

FWIW, cryptic responses such as that one about the long/short hubs being built for no reason dont help anyone...

Then i guess this statment doesnt help either,The so called long hub and short hub are the hub not the shaft,,,,I dont think volvo would have spent all that money on tooling to make two differant hub sizes it their weren't two differant prop shafts:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:Sorry guys i guess the cryptic letters look a little sarcastic but no harm ment..
Have a great weekend!:party:

BigGrizzly
06-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I have both and props go either way providing I leave the stock line cutter spacer on the correct shaft. The hub refers to the cone/spinner nut. the only problem is in the early mid 1960s props had splines all the way down to the spacer. If they corroded in place it was hell to get the prop off. Volvo changed for this and several other reasons reasons another there were many customer complaints about the lock tab. Volvo listened to its customers back than and now too. When I said shaft length I was referring to the prop area used. Sorry for the confusion. Question is, is the hub slipping out of the prop? Sounds like trouble to me.

problemchild
06-03-2007, 04:25 PM
okay, I finally got around to measuring the gap, and It is is slightly over 3/8" (there used to be almost no space) from the anode, and is about the same with or without the spacer. I included some pictures, anyone everseen this kind of prop nut??
Thanks again,
-Alex

BigGrizzly
06-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Looks similar to the old racing version. Haven't seen the likes of it in years.

penbroke
06-03-2007, 07:58 PM
If the space is the same with or without the spacer it must be that the splines on the prop hub are bottoming out in the splines on the shaft. NOT a desirable condition. The splines aren't designed to carry the thrust load. The thrust of the prop needs to be transfered from the prop to the spacer to the shaft shoulder. I would say the prop has the wrong hub in it. You could have the hub bored out a bit to shorten up the splines. Pressing it in more (if you can) isn't going to help.

Frank

Sweet little 16
06-03-2007, 09:23 PM
from the looks of the pic with the SS prop on it you have the thrust washer with the cone spot welded to it, plus it looks like the prop is a "blank" for a merc setup the flare ring and line cutter end are far too long for a volvo setup

problemchild
06-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I'll have to do that, I assume most prop shops could do this...?
Thanks for your help
-Alex
PS. Grizzly, thats interesting what you said about the prop nut, any more info??