PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Q-Jet Donzi

FUELPOWERED
05-31-2007, 11:14 PM
After seeing a Buick Gran Sport run a 124 m.p.h. pass in a F.A.S.T. shootout, I was blown away by the fact that it did it on a Rochester quad. I got to thinking about who may own the fastest Donzi running this carb. Anyone?

yeller
06-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Don't know who the fastest is, but in my opinion, the Rochester is the best factory carb ever made. Unfortunately, it is beyond the tuning skills of the average backyard mechanic......including me......but I still use 'em over anything else. Put one on my Ford. :yes:

BUIZILLA
06-01-2007, 06:17 AM
After seeing a Buick Gran Sport run a 124 m.p.h. pass in a F.A.S.T. shootout, I was blown away by the fact that it did it on a Rochester quad. I got to thinking about who may own the fastest Donzi running this carb. Anyone? was it the black 72 owned by Greg Gessler or the red 70 owned by Jim Rodger's.... I presently have a QJ on a 560hp Buick, and it runs just fine... I've seen them on C/SA Super Stockers over 650hp...

JH

FUELPOWERED
06-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Buizilla,
It was the black 72.

Rootsy
06-01-2007, 07:07 AM
there are a WHOLE lotta NHRA Stock and Super Stockers running Q-jets... many S/S cars are sub 10 seconds from about I or IA class on down... If it came with a q-jet from the factory.. that's what you have to run, if that's the engine you're claiming to make that class...

mrfixxall
06-01-2007, 10:10 AM
now we are talking,,anybody interested in a 1970 gs stage 2 with 1500 oe miles on it,,,1/4 mile at a time is all this car saw....one of three known...

BUIZILLA
06-01-2007, 10:17 AM
is that Jim Turner's old car??

mrfixxall
06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
is that Jim Turner's old car??

i believe so,, the car came from texas,,it has been through a frame off resto...it was known as the texas stage two car..

BUIZILLA
06-01-2007, 11:19 AM
car was from Bronte, TX

never was a factory Stage 2 car, originally a Stage 1 car, Turner bought the parts over the counter after he bought the car... I know the car very well...

sorry for the thread hijack, both of my current boats have run 67ish with a Qjet, not rockets, but respectable...

mrfixxall
06-01-2007, 12:12 PM
car was from Bronte, TX
never was a factory Stage 2 car, originally a Stage 1 car, Turner bought the parts over the counter after he bought the car... I know the car very well...
sorry for the thread hijack, both of my current boats have run 67ish with a Qjet, not rockets, but respectable...

NOT TO HIJACK THIS TREND EITHER BUT FROM WHAT I UNDERSTOOD WAS ALL THE STAGE 2 CARS WERE NOT FACTORY BUILT CARS..IT WAS ONLY OFFERED IN 1970 WHICH MAKES THIS CAR MORE DISERABLE BECAUSE THE STAGE 2 PACKAGE WAS ONLY OFFERED IN 1970..THEY WERE ORDERED WITH NO A/C,NO PS,NO PB AND WITHOUT A RADIO...THIS CAR HAS ALL THE DECALS FENDER EMBLMS AND THE STAGE 2 CAST IRON HEADS...FROM WHAT I KNOW THEIRS ONLY 3 LEFT THAT I KNOW OF,,TOM RICKS OWNS THE RED ONE WHICH WAS A 4 SPEED CAR THAT IS NOW A AUTOMATIC AND THE KENNY BELL WHICH SOME GUY IN WI NOW OWNS AND IS BEING RESTORED LAST TIME I HEARD AND THIS ONE.:wink:

BUIZILLA
06-01-2007, 12:28 PM
there were 66 pairs of those heads sold over the counter between late 1970 and 1973, (do the math, that's makes 66 possible upgraded cars) the only FACTORY Stage 2 cars were 2 white GSX cars, one of which burned in AZ during magazine testing, the other disappeared, the white KB Stage 1 non GSX car is now owned by Guy Parquette in WI, which is the original KB car.

mrfixxall
06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
there were 66 pairs of those heads sold over the counter between late 1970 and 1973, (do the math, that's makes 33 possible upgraded cars)the only FACTORY Stage 2 cars were 2 white GSX cars, one of which burned in AZ during magazine testing, the other disappeared, the white KB Stage 1 non GSX car is now owned by Guy Parquette in WI, which is the original KB car.

OK IM TRYING TO DO THE MATH,YOU SAID THEIR WERE 66 PAIRS OF STAGE TWO HEADS WHICH MEANS THEIR 66 POSSIBLE 1970 GS STAGE 2 CARS.:) MY NOTES TELL ME THEIR WERE ONLY 24 PAIR OF STAGE 2 HEADS MADE..IS THIR ANY DOCUMENTS THAT SUPPORTS THIS?

I ALSO KNOW OF A YELLOW 1970 GSX WITH A COMPLETE STAGE 2 PACKAGE AND IT ALSO HAS THE SHEET METAL STAGE 2 HOOD SCOOP WHICH HAS BEEN VERIFIED AS A GENUINE GM MADE SCOOP...:eek!:

OOPS I SEE YOU EDIT YOUR POST FROM 33 TO 66 :)>

AGAIN IM JUST COUROUS AND DONT MEAN TO HIJACK THIS TREND!!!!

mrfixxall
06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
car was from Bronte, TX

BUIZ,,WHEN DID JIM BUY THIS CAR? FROM WHAT I UNDERSTOOD FROM JIM IS THIS CAR WAS NEVER TITLED TILL HE BOUGHT IN THE EARLY 80'S WHICH LED HIM TO BELIEVE THAT IS WAS A FACTORY RACE CAR BECAUSE THEIR WAS NEVER A TITLE ISSUED UNTIL HE BOUGHT IT..WERE THE STAGE 2 PARTS STILL AVAILBLE 10 OR MORE YEARS LATER? WHEN HE BOUGHT THE CAR FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE ENGINE WAS BLOWN AND THE CAR CAME WITH # MATCHING FLAT TOP PISTONS,#HEADERS,#INTAKE,#CAMSHAFT,#CARB AND THE 478 GEARS WHICH ARE STILL NEW IN THE BOX (1/8 MILE DRAG GEARS) THE ONLY THING THAT WAS MISSING WAS THE HOOD SCOOP BUT THE HOLE IS STILL IN THE FACTORY HOOD...THE HOOD ON THE CAR NOW IS FOR THE LOOKS ONLY AND DOESNT SERVE A PERPOSE...:) AND ANOTHER THING IT REALLY ONLY HAS ORIGINAL 1500 MIES WHICH WOULD INDICATE ITS BEEN A RACE CAR ALL ITS LIFE..

SORRY GUYS AGAIN JUST TRYING TO GET SOME INFO FOR NET WORTH OF THIS CAR..

BUIZILLA
06-01-2007, 03:04 PM
my suggestion is have your friend call Jim Turner at Hiway Auto Parts in Bronte TX for more info, I believe Turner bought it new in 1970...

MOP
06-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Back to the squirt box! Though I have rebuilt a ton of Qjets I know Zip about tuning them, when I needed help I picked up the phone. I have to admit I love that carb, beats a Holley hands down. Holleys were without doubt one of the more troublesome ones I had to deal with. I was hording a couple but cut one loose to Gcarter awhile back but still have one that I would love to get setup for my 383. There is nothing like the sound of the "Man Hole Covers" opening!

Phil