PDA

View Full Version : 79 18 classic engine

Epithet
05-31-2007, 09:24 PM
I was curious as to what exact engine my boat had. Ive seen some with the merc engine but i have a V8 and from what i understand, its a chevy motor. does anyone know exactly what motor i have cause im having a bit of a problem getting parts. Ive gone through several starters and i cant get one to fit.
thanks fellas,
Tom

Cuda
05-31-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm guessing a Merc 898 engine, and a type R drive. Anything on the valve covers?

Epithet
05-31-2007, 09:35 PM
the valve covers were changed before i got the boat but the guy said the old ones had corvette emblems on them(not sure how accurate that is).
receipts from maintenance say its a 350 chevy but any 350 chevy starters i try aren't wanting to fit, but the auto store found the correct starter. It's for future reference so that the next time I need to order or replace a part, I now exactly what I'm getting it for.

Rodger
05-31-2007, 10:03 PM
You may be trying to use the starter for a large flywheel. You need the starter for the small flywheel. It should have the bolt holes in line, not offset.

mrfixxall
05-31-2007, 10:18 PM
You Probably Have A Volvo Penta Drive ''rite'' And The Problem Your Having Is It Wont Go In All The Way Because The Nose Of The Starter Is Hitting The Bell Housing Rite? A You Have To Use Your Existing Nose Cone Off The Starter..b Take A Grinder To It Which Ive Done In The Past Just To Get By Or C Go To Summit And Buy Yourself A Mini High Torque Starter.. I Would Go The C Route..

Good Luck

Rootsy
06-01-2007, 07:04 AM
got a hull #?

Madcow
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I have a 79 18' and it has a merc 350 motor, with the smaller flywheel (148 tooth I think) I'm in the process of changing to a larger flywheel, so I may have a good used starter and flywheel if yours is damaged. I'll try to find some #s and pics later and post them.

Pismo
06-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm guessing a Merc 898 engine, and a type R drive. Anything on the valve covers?

That was a beauty engine and its big brother the 228 with a quadrajet. Ahhh the memories. But didnt Donzi love Volvos around that time?

maddad
06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I was having the same problem, the nose not fitting, and the guy at the shop said the nose I needed was on the starters with automotive type bodies. Sure enough, the starter that fit was much wider than the ones that didn't.

slamdry
06-13-2007, 09:25 PM
can you just get your original starter rebuilt, or is there something wrong with the housing??

CrackerJack
06-16-2007, 02:37 PM
My son and I last year rebuilt a 1979 marine engine and it had corvette emblems on the valve covers before we replaced them. We took the numbers off the block and it was 1979 L82 350 block with high performance pistons.
Are you able to see the numbers on the block? If you can here is a link to some information that may help you. We only had a choice of 2 different flywheels and 2 different starters. The main factor was the main bearing seal being a 2 piece unit for that year.
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm