PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating engine parts. Before & After pics

vonkamp
05-30-2007, 04:26 PM
The first thing I did was build a sandblaster out of some scrap wood and other parts I had around. I bought the gun, pickup tube, and hose from http://www.tptools.com . They make really good stuff.

Got an old oven and bought a powdercoat gun kit from http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=458
I practiced on some horseshoes and misc. other stuff (kitchen silverware) and now as Cuda said " there's no stopping me now" :yes::yes:

vonkamp
05-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I then started on my valve covers. After sandblasting, I taped off the fins with fiberglass tape and powdercoated with Wrinkle Black and baked. I then removed the tape and coated with a Starlight clear. They really turned out great.

vonkamp
05-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Alternator was next. Starlight Purple.

vonkamp
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Exhaust manifolds and risers. They were old and loaded with scale so I gave them a bath in muratic acid and it really cleaned them out good. After a good rinse and dry they went to the sandblaster. The risers are "Single Stage Reflective Chrome" and the manifolds will be black (pic's later)

vonkamp
05-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Engine mounts. Starlight Purple & High Gloss Black.

So far, so good. I did a few parts off the outdrive before I learned about "outgassing" cast alum. parts. They will have to be stripped and redone.

gcarter
05-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Barry, the old cast iron manifolds turned out really nice. Most folks aren't aware that iron parts can be cleaned up dramatically w/no damage to the iron. I'm planning on descaling a 454 block.
BTW, the powder looks great.

Cuda
05-30-2007, 08:09 PM
It's addictive isn't it. Are you hunting around the garage looking for things to powder coat too?:wink:

MOP
05-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Looks great, I have a tip for you powder coaters. Years back I worked for a company that made aluminum placks they were cast with the lettering or what ever when we pulled them they went on a huge belt sander to flatten the high lights then off to the paint shop when dry they were again run on the belt sander then shot with clear which eliminated the taping the some go through, taping is way to slow and can cause jagged edges etc. Non of the pro's tape!

Phil