glashole
05-30-2007, 02:50 PM
where would I start looking for this?

hardcrab
05-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Bilgekote can be found at West marine

MOP
05-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Shea here is a link, prep is important! I did mine when the new transom & stringers went in, that was 3 years ago. I now have several small spots that have flaked of down where the new glass was put in, I thought I had scuffed everything well NOT!

Phil

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=119&familyName=Interlux+Bilgekote+Paint&history=AdWordsBilgekote&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=bilgekote&match_type=

rustnrot
05-30-2007, 05:53 PM
I stopped using bilgekote. Now I use rustoleum garage or basement paint from Home Depot or Lowes (a two part epoxy) and skip the sprinkles. Sticks waaaaayyyyy better. Never had any flake from fiberglass yet and I have had gas and oil get on it big time.

Dr. Dan
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
I use the White BilgeKote and I touch it up as needed...in fact its being backed into the Garage for that very Detail now...to make it purdy for the Lake George Critics...

I works awesome...spreads well...using both a small sponge roller and a brush... ro the Roll and Tip method. Do a Section at a time... stop...let it dry...then do the next designated section...

Before long you be done! and it be white as Snow! Or Grey as Cliff's hair is Black?

Doc of Paint Fumes :eek!:

Cuda
05-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I just refinished my tub today with this stuff. The primer is what they use on the Space Shuttle, and the top coat is a two part aliphatic acrylic urethane. I think the secret is in the primer, I can tell you right now that it's some bad juju! If it will stick to ceramic tile, and porcelain tubs, it'll surely stick to fiberglass. I sprayed some more today, and I when cleaning the gun, I found some primer I didn't get off the other day. Niether laquer thinner, or xlene would touch it, and this was on a part of the gun that's supposed to be easy to clean. I couldn't get it all of even scraping with a razor blade. Don't think it hasn't already gone through my mind to use it inside the boat. Best thing, you can get it in any color you want, other than metallics.

Rootsy
05-31-2007, 07:22 AM
madpoodle is the man for bilgekote...

rustnrot
05-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Cuda, more information on where to get that stuff!!

Could this be an intermediate between gel-coat and paint and could I get away with using it as a finish coat on the outside of the boat? Before I get too excited I guess I need to know if it is UV resistant but I am guessing probably not.

Cuda
05-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Cuda, more information on where to get that stuff!!
Could this be an intermediate between gel-coat and paint and could I get away with using it as a finish coat on the outside of the boat? Before I get too excited I guess I need to know if it is UV resistant but I am guessing probably not.
They do make a uv resistant product, but I haven't used it.

www.midwestchemicals.com

rustnrot
05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Midwest Chemicals (now in Orlando, formerly in Michigan) Rock! I swear by their Grizzly Grip do-it-yourself rhinolining product. thanks, happy customer of theirs already will check with them further.

gcarter
06-01-2007, 05:35 AM
I like Bilgekote, a lot!!:yes::yes:
However, the cans don't have a long shelf life after opening. That's why I always buy it in quarts.
Mr Poodle's price is hard to beat. I guess if you buy his gallon and get four empty quart cans at the local paint store and pour the gallon into those four cans it would work fine.
Once opened and partially used, it grows a thick skin very quickly that's very hard to remove.

Cuda
06-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Midwest Chemicals (now in Orlando, formerly in Michigan) Rock! I swear by their Grizzly Grip do-it-yourself rhinolining product. thanks, happy customer of theirs already will check with them further.
I have a sample of their Grizzly Grip. I don't think it will sell for bed liners myself. By the time you buy the material, and have it installed, you can buy a bed liner cheaper. Then when the bedliner looks like crap (like mine does after hauling thin set and gout for a couple years) you can pull the bedliner out, throw it away and buy a new one. You can't just pull the Grizzly Liner out. You also need a special gun to shoot it with.

glashole
06-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Oooh crap, I forgot about the Canada thing.. I dont think I can ship it there reasonably... Got a stateside addy??

I am staying at the treasure cove in :)

from june 14 to 17

Lake George New York

other than that I will have to wait until I have to pull the motor again and worry about it then :)