PDA

View Full Version : Drive Oil Reservoir Leaking into Bildge

Ranman
05-29-2007, 02:50 PM
2004 350 MAG MPI Bravo III

Problem: Oil added to the drive oil reservoir is ending up in the bilge and the alarm is sounding due to an empty bottle.

What is known: The bottle is mounted properly and the leak is not at the bottle end. The hose attached to the underside of the bottle runs down the intake manifold to the back of the engine into an extension nipple (not leaking there) and then the hose extention runs onward to somewhere that I cant reach or feel. I'm guessing that the hose connects to the transom plate somehere and the hose has come off or pulled loose and is leaking. There is no oil slick or signs of leakage outside on or around the drive. The drive seems full since I have not blown it up yet. Can anyone offer some advice as to where the bottle may ultimatly be leaking from? Is it possible that the hose is properly connected and the drive oil is leaking into the bilge via some other means? Thanks for your comments.

mrfixxall
05-29-2007, 03:08 PM
the upper input shaft seal is probably leaking into the bilge. you must remove the drive then replace the seal and yoke where the splined shaft and u joint assembly attaches to..put the nose of the boat down with the tougue jack and look into the transm where you greece the coupler,this will drain the oil out ot the u-joint bellow..you can also remove the drive and look into the u-joint bellow to see if theirs oil their too...

sub-bass
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
I had the same problem a while back.. My 'mechanic' whilst delivering the boat for it's first run under my ownership leaned on the reservoir tank and pushed the two forked brackets that hold the tank through the slot on the tank - it was barely noticable to look at but once I was running the fluid would drain over the course of a day. It may be worth a closer inspection at the tank end but you probably would notice the wetness around the rear of tank by now or see the residue on the hoses below..

Anyway, just a thought.

g

need for speed
05-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I had the same thing on my 05. The oil dumped out into the bilge ... The hose from the bottle goes to a 90 degree fitting made out of plastic into the transom assembly.. my 90 degree was cracked and leaking the oil out... it is really hard to get to it .. It's a quick connect that clips on and off ,to the nipple through the transom assembly..

all is ok now but if the boat sits for a month, I get about 3 drops of oil in the bilge. I think the 90 degree is not sealing 100% or something my mec is checking it out in the AM, to make sure i am good to go to lake G..

MOP
05-29-2007, 07:34 PM
I think Charlie has the answer, look at part# 5 in the diagram below.

http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/mercruiser_oem/Mercruiser.asp?Type=13&SubType=113&A=43&B=13

mrfixxall
05-29-2007, 09:16 PM
I think Charlie has the answer, look at part# 5 in the diagram below.
http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/mercruiser_oem/Mercruiser.asp?Type=13&SubType=113&A=43&B=13

What is known: The bottle is mounted properly and the leak is not at the bottle end. The hose attached to the underside of the bottle runs down the intake manifold to the back of the engine into an extension nipple (not leaking there) and then the hose extention runs onward to somewhere that I cant reach or feel

IVE DONE TWO THIS YEAR ALREADY,,THE FIRST ONE WAS A ALPHA 1 AND THE OTHER WAS A BRAVO 3, THEY BOTH WERE LEAKING FROM WHERE I TALKED ABOUT EARLIER..

Ranman
06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Can anyone show me where the connector in MOP's link connects to the transom plate?

The mech who inspected the boat says they will need to pull the stbd exhaust manifold and some hoses to be able to get to this area of the transom plate. The estimated labor time is 5 hours along with $100 in parts (gaskets, connector, etc) and a haul out and launch totaling $690.00.

Marine innovations is telling me this is not covered under the warranty. :confused: