PDA

View Full Version : Prop for Sweet 16

cgentile
05-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Looking for some feed back on a prop purchase and pitch for my Sweet 16.
1994 v6 Lx
What have users found to be the best pitch on this motor for top end.
Looking for something out of the box that will not make it to crazy to handle but get the most out it.
I have a 23 stainless but have to much throttle left.:canada::canada:
Regards
Christopher

BigGrizzly
05-29-2007, 09:43 AM
What drive and and ratio. What make of prop

cgentile
05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Its a alpha one outdrive, has a stock stainless 23 pitch form the factory in 1994. Sorry i do not have the ratio info.

Christopher

RvR
05-29-2007, 05:27 PM
I’m pondering the same issue at the moment.

I also have a 94 16 4.3 LX with a 23 in Quicksilver prop. The drive ratio is 1.84. If memory servers me correctly I run just short of 54 GPS at 5000 rpm.

I am looking to maximize mid range cruising performance, I probably spend 80% or my time between 3000 and 3500 rpm.

I’ve settled on a Turbo but pitch and number of blades is still up in the air. I figure I could go with a 24 pitch but don’t want to loose acceleration either out of the hole or at mid range.

Anyone running a 4 blade Turbo on a similar 16? Perhaps a 2+2, 23 pitch would meet my needs.

Wish I had the luxury of trying out props but I don’t. In part because the prop clutch is starting to show signs of slipping.

smokediver
05-29-2007, 06:29 PM
i would try a mirage plus 23 . the larger diameter will bring your rpm's down and give you really good midrange ... your top end will be better or the same ... or the turbo 24 is a good choice as well ... i am thinking you have the 1.84 as well ...

BigGrizzly
05-29-2007, 06:38 PM
The 24 Turbo may be just what your looking for. The quick silver is the predissesor of the M=. the 2=2 will be a little slower but handle rough water a little better depending on your driving style. being a 4 blade mid range cruse should be more efficiency.

cgentile
05-29-2007, 09:24 PM
:canada:Ah This is all good guys thanks.. Interesting I spoke with Mercury Tech in Canada here today.
They are reccomending that i try the Lazer 11 25 or 26 pitch for what I am looking for with the set up on my boat.
Lucky fo rme I will be able to water test a few props , Today the Mechanic from Morch Marine in Belleville near my cottage has offered to bring three props for me to try .
He water tested the boat a week ago and seems to also agree it needs more pitch.
Of course i have to provide the steak and beer but worth it.
Another mention from Mercury was the mirage, mostly used on larger horsepower set up,.
I will offer up a full report in a week or two.. but still would love to hear if anyone has found that magic set up.. I have a brand new lazer 21 pitch, for sking and wake boarding. But it has seen the boat only once.
Regards
Christopher

ATLDONZI
05-29-2007, 09:32 PM
i run a laser 2 21 pitch with good results and a mirage 23p is my fav for all around.... mid 50's and stable

smokediver
05-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I happen to have a 25p laser2 in good shape ... was a great prop when i had the v6 ...

cgentile
05-30-2007, 09:36 PM
What kind of performance where you getting with the v6 and where you able to run wide open.

:canada:

Rob M
06-01-2007, 04:52 AM
I had the exact same boat/engine config and year. It was purchased used with the wrong prop (RPMs were way too high) - I replaced it with a SS Mirage 23P. This was an excellent setup - RPMs were stable at 4200 at WOT. Depending on water conditions and load, top end was 54MPH (speedo).

cgentile
07-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Weill
After some help of prop reccomendations from members and some performance shops, i was able to pick a prop for my boat.

I water tested a few props on the boat on the weekend and settled on the Lazor 11 25 pitch.
I also liked the Michigan 25 pitch 3 blade which was slighty larger, and a slighte more cup it seemed
But for all out ruuning and hole shot, the lazor 11 was the best choice. It also seemed to be the smoothe in the water and best fit and slightly faster.
Both props were new, but the Lazor 11 really stood out.

Running in Fresh water and a full tank of fuel and two guys, for a passengen weight of 400 pounds , i was able to run flat out at 5000 rpms and needle was gone. So i would guess maybe 58 60, in foot of chop was what i was getting. ( I hope!)
The lazor 11 gave great bow lift and was very good in the corners.
At a cruising speed of 3200 rpms the speed would read 38mph and the jump off point from here was really good for opening it up.

I came across a great place north of Peterbourgh called Kawartha prop shop. Tons of props to try and John is a bit of guru on the prop working ..
He sells props on consigement and is really great to deal with.

Check out www.buckhornyachtharbour.com/prop.php

Regards :canada:

cgentile
07-09-2007, 04:24 PM
So after a few prop try outs on the water and lots and lots of input from the site and performance places.
The winner for the best top end prop for my boat is the Lazor 11... 25 pitch.
Was very smooth, had great acceleration and midrange punch was very good.
I was very surprised by the new style props to the old stainless shape that came on the boat.
With myself in the boat it felt like the hole shot was the same as the old 23 pitch.

I also tried a Michigan 25 pitch slightly larger diameter, and more cup.. was all so good but felt to big and was not a smooth at idle and low end.
Also fell short on the top end next to the lazer 11:canada:

WOT with a full tank and driver at 150 lbs was 4900rpm.(Speedo was gone at 55 mark)
My mid range speed was 38mph at 3000 rpms trimmed out in a foot of chop. ( Speedo)

The bow lift was excellent and corner turns it held really well.

So I will run my 23 for full boat loads but 95% of the time the lazer 11 is the prop that will live on the boat.
Was nice to be able to peg the throttle and let it go..

1994 4.3LX 4 barrel with after market corsa headers..(very nice i might say)

Regards

downtime270
07-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Take a shot at one of these prop calculators. If you know WOT, RPM,Speed - it will help you to calculate prop slip. Once you have all the number you can begin changing things to help you dial in. The only thing you have to remember is the prop slip changes as you reduce RPM and increase pitch, but its close enough to start. Here's two that I use, there are quite a few on the i-net just google prop calculator

http://www.csgnetwork.com/marinepropcalc.html

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

-e-