PDA

View Full Version : Where did I go wrong?

Cuda
05-28-2007, 11:13 AM
I got this set of valve covers I got from Catch 22. I sanded them down with 400 grit, wiped them with denatured alcohol, primed them with self etching primer, and shot them with Dupont Concept DBC base with 1:1 DT 860 thinner. Then used DCU 2021 Clear with 4:1 clear and DCX 61 hardener.

It looks like ass. It's real bumpy. I can think of two reasons, maybe both. Was I supposed to mix 860 thinner in the clear also? Another thing was I couldn't find my gun I use with the compressor (I think it may have gotten stolen from my truck), so I used this turbine with a new HVLP gun I got with it.

RickSE
05-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Yes, 4:1:1 w/ reducer

I use this link all the time for PPG data sheets.
http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmFindProduct.asp

Cuda
05-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Damn, I searched all over the net and couldn't find that info. :(

It sure looked alot better when I did the intake.

mrfixxall
05-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Just Wet Sand It Down With 600 And Hose It Down With More Clear,,cross Your Pattern After The First Tac Coat (double Coat It Spray One Way Then Cross Over Like Your Making A Tic Tac Toe Board)

Cuda
05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
I put them in the sandblasting cabinet.........I'd be eligible for social security before I got it off. Tried a wire brush, no better, but it left some nice gouges. Tried a palm sander, I don't think it's dry enough for that yet, so I figured if it's not 100% cured, maybe I could get it off with Xlene. It worked. Now I've got to start all over again. I still haven't found my other gun. It must have gotten stolen.

Back to square one. :(

BUIZILLA
05-28-2007, 06:03 PM
put them in an oven at 200-250* for about 20 minutes to cook out the metals impurities, if they survive that they should be good to go for paint

Cuda
05-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Base coat came out better. I switched my gun to spray in a circle instead of in a fan. It seemed to work much better.

I had some base left over, and this carb was already primed, so I shot it.

Cuda
05-28-2007, 07:46 PM
It's still not perfect, but it's 1000% better after I cleared it.

mrfixxall
05-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Cuda, you said you sandblasted them? the bumpy texture is from the sandblasting..the paint your using doesnt flow on rough serfaces like regular enamel paints do so you should have sanded the valve covers with 320 before you primed them...what ever serface you start with will end up the same way with base coat cleat coat paints...

Cuda
05-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Cuda, you said you sandblasted them? the bumpy texture is from the sandblasting..the paint your using doesnt flow on rough serfaces like regular enamel paints do so you should have sanded the valve covers with 320 before you primed them...what ever serface you start with will end up the same way with base coat cleat coat paints...
The first time I sanded them with 320, just to make sure there was no wax left. I wasn't the cause of the bumps. The second time, I put them in the blasting cabinet, but I didn't work worth a damn, but Xlene took it off. It was back to where it was before I primed them. They look fine now.