PDA

View Full Version : Bringing home the "mothership" - Wish us luck

Ranman
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
The missus and I are heading to Cleveland in the morning to pick up our "new to us" boat. It's a 2004 Formula 27PC that we will be taking by water from Cleveland across Lake Erie, past Sandusky and PIB, then up to the Detroit River and on into her new home on Lake St. Clair. We are hoping to be leaving Cleveland around 10:30-11:00 and expect the trip to take 6-7 hours to complete with a fuel stop in Gibralter.

I'm posting a basic route of where we're going so at least someone knows our plan in case we go missing for some odd reason. :):)

DonCig
05-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Randy, congratulations!

http://www.boattest.com/oem/general-info.aspx?ID=92&lp_id=

undertaker
05-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Cool:)....good luck with the new ride..:):):):)

Rootsy
05-25-2007, 10:06 AM
supposed to be a little rainy this weekend... Good luck on the trip and may Erie not blow up any big chop for your trip... make sure you follow the channel into the Detroit River... Managed to find a few "shallow" spots once as a youngster when I didn't... But i reckon you've done all of your homework ;)

penbroke
05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Nice boat! I have looked at a couple of them and they sure are a quality boat. Good luck with her and have a safe trip.

Frank
Can I have your Donzi if you "go missing for some odd reason"? :wink::wink:

Carl C
05-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Best of luck. Hope to see you on Lake St. Clair this summer.

wrussellw
05-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Usually when I am in open water for any length of time I file a float plan with the Coastie's and update my position with VHF or cell periodly. Just a suggestion.

Ranman
05-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks everybody for the kind words.

It has been a long day. We started out at 6:00am this morning. Made it to Cleveland around 9:00. The boat was launched and ready to go at around 11:00 and we departed at about 11:30. Lake Erie was very calm and everything went without issue other than a low drive oil sensor that was addressed with some add'l drive oil. The trip was 150 miles by water and took us about 6.5 hours with a stop at Put-In-BAy for some fuel. She is now home at the Belle Maer Harbor on Lake St. Clair

At 3000 RPM the twin 350 MAGs push her along at about 30MPH and use a little under 20GPH. At WOT, this boat will do well over 50MPH. I'm sure that as I get comfortable with the boat's trim and tab settings. these numbers may improve somewhat. My guess is she will top out at 55MPH or so.:eek::eek:

Tomorrow will bring some cleaning and polishing as she has been sitting for sometime in the yard. This particular boat is a bank reposession that we were able to purchase well below current market value. She had 36 hours on the ticker when we left the dock this morning. The boat was chock full of life vests, lines, blender, ski tube, silverware, you name it, all left over from the previous owner.

The cherry? Marine Innovations has confirmed warranty coverage until 03/2009. :shades:

How does the saying go? The two best days of a boater's life...

Carl C
05-26-2007, 06:53 AM
I'm glad you didn't run into any bad water. I've been wanting to make that trip to Cedar Point and Put-In-Bay in my 22 but I've been warned about how that section of lake can act up without warning. Let me know if you're ever out on a week-day and I'll look you up. Oh yeah, the boat looks good too.

BUIZILLA
05-26-2007, 07:00 AM
IMO, I'm a BIG Formula fan, that's about the ultimate under 30' cruiser going, with B3's, 300's, room for a/c and genny, you can't beat it... a 271 Fastec will cost you the same $$$$ and look what you get with that package..

smart purchase...

JH :cool:

JimG
05-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Very nice boat! Congrats!

roadtrip se
05-26-2007, 10:01 AM
IMO, I'm a BIG Formula fan, that's about the ultimate under 30' cruiser going, with B3's, 300's, room for a/c and genny, you can't beat it... a 271 Fastec will cost you the same $$$$ and look what you get with that package..
smart purchase...
JH :cool:

As we talked at AOTH, we are prospects for a 33SS. These boats are so nice.

We'll take an invite out to Muscamoot if you need somebody to swab the decks! Congrats on a nice find.

boxy
05-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Randy, DJ, the new boat looks great ....

Is that windlass remote activated?
If it is, it will be really handy if, you know, somebody happened to get hung up by their kevlar speedo, or something .... :D

Have fun.

penbroke
05-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Glad you made it ok. You never know what you might "discover" on the way home in a "new" boat. Got yourself a real nice rig there for sure. Have fun with it!

Frank :cool!:

Team Jefe
05-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Good Looking boat Randy....but you gotta work on you photog skills. We want pictures of Girls on Boats....not your ugly mug.:wink:

Congrats, those are sweeties and I know y'all will love it.

boldts
05-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow Randy & Jen! What a beautiful Formula for you all to get away and stay away on. Funny how things come back around and fall into your lap if your patient. Glad the trip from Cleveland went with-out to much issue. You caught Lake Erie on a good day.

Just wondering. Rack storage? Take care you 2 and yes it was built by an Aronow started company, so if you wish to bring her to AOTH and enjoy Lake Cumberland away over-night, you've got the boat to do so. I'm not thinking there are any towing plans though for that beauty. BTW, love the color! Best Wishes!

ITTLFLI
05-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Randy and Jenn,

Looks great! Enjoy!!

Donzi Jenn
05-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi, guys!

Thank you for all of your kind words. We've only spent a couple of days on the boat so far, but we really are enjoying it. It's certainly nice to take a ride across St. Clair with your feet up relaxing! :cool:

Boxy - Thanks for the laugh - again. That story will never get old! The windlass can be operated from the dash. So, if any kevlar speedo lifting needs to be done, it's available to assist! :rlol:

Boldts - We're looking into rack storage. Right now we are in a slip. From what I understand, the boat is just large enough that they would rather not rack store it at Belle Maer, but if space is available they've agreed to do it. I think that we'll know by the end of the week whether or not it will be able to be done.

Roadtrip - You and Jill are always welcome! It would be great to take a ride some day soon to get some lunch somewhere on the lake or maybe even up on the Detroit river. We'll have to get a hold of you to schedule!

Thanks again, guys! :bighug: