PDA

View Full Version : Pro Charger tuning progress

Last Real Texan
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I am making some head way with the tuning of it. I have had the ECU done my Mark Boos @ PMI EFI and for the most part have it dialed in pretty well, however I was not comfortable with the reading plugs thing and Sprung for a wide band O2 sensor (LM-1) from Inovative Motorsports and am happy I did ....the motor the way it is set up is on the rich side from IDLE to 4600.....( 11.5-11.9 ) AFR and once the motor reaches 4800-5300 the mixture gets up to the lean side( 14.0-14.5) the leanist it got was 14.5 but I am uncomfortable with that # .....tooooo lean
Mark says...................... so my next question was to call ATI and spoke with some moron that said they do not offer a greater Boost to fuel ratio disc and that I need to get a whole new FMU......I called BUllchit and then spoke with a guy who knew a little more about it and said yes I can get a 7 PSI disc to give me greater fuel preassure up top but not effect the mid range and cruise preassures......I guess every set up is different and will require differing # 's but I am confused now for sure....
all Readings are at the fuel rail with liquid filled quality guage....forget the gaffrig piece-o-lie-o-meter on the dash it reads anywhere from 6-10 psi higer...
Base fuel 42 PSI
WOT fuel PSI 62 PSI
I guess my next step is to install a 7 PSI disc ( borrowed ) and try it ....Hope fully I will be able to back out of the base fuel preassure enought to get the bottom and mid range right and have enough when in the boost Mark says 65 PSI should be right.

BUIZILLA
05-23-2007, 08:22 PM
you sure you have enough fuel pump?

Last Real Texan
05-23-2007, 08:31 PM
you sure you have enough fuel pump?

I should ...................Aeromotive A-1000 rated for more flow than I need. It is the same pump ATI ships with there kits.

I have thought maybe I have a bad pump but it never loses fuel preassure, if I bring up the base fuel preassure the Boost fuel preassure rises accordingly....make sense? Good thought however....

On a side note the O2 sensor itself ( Bosch ) has proved to be quite reliable under some not so perfect conditions.

Thanks

Bryan

The Hedgehog
05-24-2007, 07:56 AM
You will know on Sat. Got 7lbs disc and it will take about 5min to change. Pulling just south of 70 psi at full boost should richen up things nicely. It made my 502 mag stumble pretty hard. The pressure ramps up pretty hard once you break 2-3 lbs of boost. You will want to drop the base since you are rich down there. We will need to monitor closely, if the base is too high and the reference ramps it to north of 70 PSI the injectors may fail to open:eek!: I have a nice long stretch of lake and we can bring it up slowly.

srlbrodkin
05-29-2007, 08:07 PM
I would like to install an O2 sensor also. What kind of exhaust do you have and where did you put the sensor. This might help as I melted 3 forged pistons in 5 hours. Procharger M1 SC 7.4 MPI 5 psi.

Thanks
Bruce

Last Real Texan
05-29-2007, 08:52 PM
I would like to install an O2 sensor also. What kind of exhaust do you have and where did you put the sensor. This might help as I melted 3 forged pistons in 5 hours. Procharger M1 SC 7.4 MPI 5 psi.
Thanks
Bruce
I have a set of CMI E tops and silent choice tails as well. I put the O2 bung in the very first part of the tail pipe trying to avoid pulling the header off. So far so good and I do know that it does get a little moisture on it , I know this is bad but it has not killed the sensor yet. Book says to power it up before starting the engine....I did this then thought about it and only fire it up now above 1500-2000 RPM's but do so quickly, I have a very short no wake zone at my testing grounds.
Hope this helps.....Ouch 3 pistons in 5 hours............
Let me know
Bryan

srlbrodkin
05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Doesn't it get a lot wet?? How hard is the rest of the install and how much did you pay for the system? Does it have memory?

Bruce

Last Real Texan
05-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Doesn't it get a lot wet?? How hard is the rest of the install and how much did you pay for the system? Does it have memory?
Bruce
Itis up in the tailpipe before the water dumps by about 10-12 inches....a little damp is what I have observed after pulling it and checking @ idle...it does have the ablilaty to record 44 minutes of data...I just have the simple version, here is the link. Yoyu can add all kind of stuff to it to record almost all engine functions $ 349.00@ summit and an easy install after the welder of your choice installs the bung
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php
Bryan

BigGrizzly
05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
srlbrokin, your pronlem is the heads they are known to detonate. Put different heads on that 7.4, my son did and it is fine now

srlbrodkin
05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Bryan, Thank you for the response still not very clear. Isn't the exhaust you have jacketed all the way. I have gil/hardin exhaust any thoughts on how to make this work.

Ryan, Thank you also why do these heads detonate is it because of the very small chambers? What heads did you use? The motor was running well before water in cylinder last year because of (I think cracked exhaust) nowafter 1st rebuid the melted pistons thing (I think clogged injectors)? What compression ratio is exceptable with 5psi ProCharger

Bruce
22zx

Last Real Texan
05-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Bryan, Thank you for the response still not very clear. Isn't the exhaust you have jacketed all the way. I have gil/hardin exhaust any thoughts on how to make this work.
Ryan, Thank you also why do these heads detonate is it because of the very small chambers? What heads did you use? The motor was running well before water in cylinder last year because of (I think cracked exhaust) nowafter 1st rebuid the melted pistons thing (I think clogged injectors)? What compression ratio is exceptable with 5psi ProCharger
Bruce
22zx
Yes they are water jacketed all the way through, it is required to have the welder weld the bung( about 3/8 inch thick) from the outside as well as on the insideto prevent leakage, make sense.....the bung creats a water tight seal in the water jacket for the sensor to thread into and reach the exhaust gasses in the tailpipe, weld on the outside prevents water from coming out into the boat and weld on the inside prevents water from going into the exhaust too close to the heads....I think on the gils you can put it in the riser just after the joint with the manifold and be fine and the welder will have good access to the inside of the riser to make it easy on him.
Bryan

mrfixxall
05-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Bruce

22zx

i put a procharger on a friends volisty, 454 mpi 385 hp 3 yrs ago amd still running strong...Did you retard your timing a bit? that will keep it from melting your pistons...

BigGrizzly
05-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Because of availability and price we went with the old peanut port heads. These heads were cheap, and the kid unloader the stock heads on some one who needed them for his stock motor so it didn't cost him a dime. I will say his motor runs well and has not had an issue for over 3 years. He did take the boat down to mark at PPm in Orleans and he tuned the thing while my son drove it WFO through lobster pots.

srlbrodkin
05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Thank you for the responses now I understand. I'm going to take a look at getting this done $$ ???

Bruce

Last Real Texan
05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the responses now I understand. I'm going to take a look at getting this done $$ ???
Bruce
Any way you do it.....it will be chaeper than having meltdown......as for the bung it was 60 bucks to install it in the tail pipe.

Good luck on this and let us know how it turns out.

Bryan