PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's Boat Sank

tamburello
05-22-2007, 11:49 PM
My Dad's 29 Island Packet sailboat blew a thru hull fitting Sunday night and sank to the bottom of its slip in 14' of water. :eek!: :eek!: A crane, some pumps, and a diver got her to the surface and on the cradle by Monday afternoon. :boat: Thank God it's fresh water and only trace amounts of diesel leaked out. It sucks that the new diesel that he just put in two years ago went swimming.

On a positive side he was taking it in stride and even poked a few jokes. It's the hard way to get the new electronics he's been eyeing.

The bilge pump put forth a heroic effort. It was still running when they got her to the surface.:smash:

These pics are of the boat part way through the raising. All you could see of it when it was on the bottom was the mast sticking up out of the water.

- Jeff

ITTLFLI
05-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear this. At least nobody was on it when this happened!

BTW....we missed you guys at AOTH this year!!!

Craig S
05-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear that. At least Island Packets are known for being fine boats.
Craig

tamburello
05-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeah, if it had to sink at least it was at the dock and not while we were out sailing a couple miles out in Lake MI, that would've sucked big time.

Sounds like everyone had a good time at Cumberland. We missed seeing everyone at AOTH this year, next year grad school and other travel plans won't be getting in the way.

- Jeff

gcarter
05-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I'd like a little more info about how the crane, pumps and diver were used.....
It seemed to me an air compressor would be more useful initially??????

I'm really sorry to hear this happened.