PDA

View Full Version : Dana slip in silencers

KerrLake
05-21-2007, 06:09 PM
The slip in silencer says it is only recommended for up to 365hp. Will it not be effective if it is used on a higher hp engine, around 450hp? Would it take out some of the bark?

BigGrizzly
05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
It will cause problems at higher RPMS and is highly restrictive to them.

Forrest
05-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I tried them. They made the 383s in my Magnum a little quieter and didn't really seem to take any major RPMs off the top, BUT they caused water reversion which can kill your engine. The're gone now.

DON N.
06-08-2007, 05:02 PM
If They Cause Water Reversion It's At A Low Rpm .

Greg
06-16-2007, 06:20 PM
I've got the same silencers. I had a 1" hole cut in the middle of the center plate. Took the bark out and did silence it a bit.

DON N.
06-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm Going To Grind Out The Bottom One Third Of The Center Plate, And Hope It Quiets The Engine Down And Keeps The Water Out Of The Cylinders While Idling.

The Hedgehog
06-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I have a set that I bought as a cheap solution to a problem with the Bama marine police. I only planned to use them on occasion. That is before I scored a good deal on my switchable tips.

BTW, the switchable tips rule! Best of both worlds

I plan to throw them on the X-18 for kicks. I may then cut them down and put them on the 16. I will post the results.

KerrLake
06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I would like to install switchable exhaust. However, I was told that the parts I would need from Merc to bolt into my transom assembly are no longer available. I have thru hull exhaust with the block off plates.

fegettes
06-21-2007, 04:18 AM
I have a set that I bought as a cheap solution to a problem with the Bama marine police. I only planned to use them on occasion. That is before I scored a good deal on my switchable tips.
BTW, the switchable tips rule! Best of both worlds
I plan to throw them on the X-18 for kicks. I may then cut them down and put them on the 16. I will post the results.

I would like to hear more about these tips. Where did you get them?

Thanks.

Steved

The Hedgehog
06-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I would like to hear more about these tips. Where did you get them?
Thanks.
Steved

Ebay - $400. They are the Gaffrig Performer Series that clamp on. Brand new out of the box. Heavy duty equipment! They included the pnuematic pump and all required accesories. I used the pump for my merc Captain's call and plan to put the Gaffrig pump in the X-18. If you keep an eye out you might find that the same individual puts these on the market from time to time w a $400 reserve. They are big but look and work great under the swim platform on my 27ZX. I am told that they are only good to 3,500 rpm which is fine for me. I know that they silence my Procharged 502 with Dana exhaust plenty. I know for a fact that they saved my a $200 ticket on Memorial Day. I can hit them around the dock and don't have to yell at my dock hands. When I open them, its pure unbaffled blown big block!

The Hedgehog
06-21-2007, 10:21 AM
I would like to install switchable exhaust. However, I was told that the parts I would need from Merc to bolt into my transom assembly are no longer available. I have thru hull exhaust with the block off plates.

If you have a Merc/Bravo you should be able to get the parts. Plenty for sale second hand and a number of aftermarket suppliers make something that should work. All you need are diverters, an actuater (if diverters are not electric), a Y-pipe, some exhaust hose, clamps and a switch.

Heck, I was going to dump my whole system for next to nothing. I am glad that I hung on to it because I just put it in the X-18. I still got the Y-pipe.

KerrLake
06-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey Big Green, do you think I'm out of luck finding parts for the trs?

The Hedgehog
06-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Hey Big Green, do you think I'm out of luck finding parts for the trs?

Hmm! If you have or can find a Y-pipe I don't see why it would be difficult. Will a Bravo Y-pipe go on a TRS? I have no idea. We should ask one of these TRS guys. Basically that is the only thing that I can think of that would be the problem but I am no TRS expert.

Donziweasel
06-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Livosi make a set of inserts as well. I ordered a set for the boat police on one of my lakes. Haven't tried them yet. My 350 is Unmuffled and sounds great if not a little loud, but I do try and be respectful of others and switch the captains call to quiet when around a lot of other boats. Will probably try the inserts next week.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/flaps.htm#MUFFLER_INSERTS

BigGrizzly
06-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Trs does not use a V pipe it uses two separate elbows. gaskets are available the pipes are not How ever CMI made mine for me not complicated at all.