PDA

View Full Version : Pee Hole of the Side of the engine block

willie d
05-21-2007, 01:45 PM
This might sound dumb, but does anyone know what the two kind of wing nut screws on the bottom side of a 350 small block are for? There is one on each side of the motor

Morgan's Cloud
05-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Sounds like you're talking about the engine block draining petcocks. If you have a newer vintage Merc they should also be found under the exhaust manifolds.

willie d
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
They are on a 89 OMC 5.7 L 350 small block. I've gotten the Donzi and it has sat up for nine years. After some work I cranked it and after ten or so minutes there was fluid coming out of just one of them. It looked like gas/water. I know I have to drain the gas out of the tank so it may have had water in it. Does this need to be closed off?

MOP
05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
If it did not stink like gas it was rusty water, if it was drained out it can take a little while to fill the block and manifolds. Yes close the petcocks!

willie d
05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank for the quick replys

yeller
05-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Welcome aboard willie d.

Because that motor has sat for so long and you only had water draining from one side, I'd remove the plugs completely and poke around in the holes until you get clear water running out. You want to get as much of the sludge out of there as possible.