PDA

View Full Version : Bilge full of ATF fluid

p729lws
05-21-2007, 10:34 AM
I was flushing the motor Sunday and noticed fluid in the bilge that looked like ATF fluid. After checking the power steering reservoir and looking around the bilge some more a noticed the trim tab pump lying against the stringer. It was attached to a block glassed into the transom. The screws are still there so I guess the pump housing broke?

Is there a better way to mount this or is there stronger pump housing available?

Dan

MOP
05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Look at the slide in bracket on the transom see if it is in tact, then look att he back of the pump to see if the lips of those slides sre in tact. If they are both fine then it may have dislodged, there is little to no problem with the mount maybe it was not seated correctly.

Phil

Barry Eller
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Your motor is bleeding from the abuse you put it through this weekend. 78.5 MPH GPS!!!:yes:

Give it some Midol and wait 7 days, she'll will be good as new!:wink:

p729lws
05-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Look at the slide in bracket on the transom see if it is in tact, then look att he back of the pump to see if the lips of those slides sre in tact. If they are both fine then it may have dislodged, there is little to no problem with the mount maybe it was not seated correctly.
Phil

Thanks Phil! I talked to my mechanic before lunch and he said the same thing. One more question: does the pump snap into that bracket or does it just hang in there? Should I screw a piece of angle into the block over the pump to keep it from jumping out again?

Dan

p729lws
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Your motor is bleeding from the abuse you put it through this weekend. 78.5 MPH GPS!!!:yes:
Give it some Midol and wait 7 days, she'll will be good as new!:wink:

No need to exagerate, I didn't quite get that fast...

MOP
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
The bracket has a slight taper to it, wiggle it down to get it seated well.

Phil

p729lws
05-21-2007, 04:26 PM
The bracket has a slight taper to it, wiggle it down to get it seated well.
Phil

Thanks Phil. Now if I only knew someone small enough to fit in threre....

Barry Eller
05-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks Phil. Now if I only knew someone small enough to fit in threre....

Dan, if I can get my fat ass in there, so can you...:tongue:

p729lws
05-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Dan, if I can get my fat ass in there, so can you...:tongue:

But my 22 has a motor in it.....much tighter fit.:eek!:

MOP
05-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Low Blow!

Cuda
05-21-2007, 09:40 PM
The ref is issuing a Red Card for that infraction! :)

Barry Eller
05-22-2007, 07:38 AM

You are absolutely correct...I will get in your engine compartment and fix it for you. It will only cost you beer.:beer:

I may need you to pull the chain on the hoist for me!:yes:

p729lws
05-22-2007, 10:06 AM
In Pensacola you have to kick them while their down :wink:

I might not get another chance once he's back on the water... :confused:

Plus it's a little motivatgion to make sure Barry's working on his motor today and not goofing off at the beach pubs on his day off. :cool:

Dan

Barry Eller
05-22-2007, 08:20 PM
In Pensacola you have to kick them while their down :wink:
I might not get another chance once he's back on the water... :confused:
Plus it's a little motivatgion to make sure Barry's working on his motor today and not goofing off at the beach pubs on his day off. :cool:
Dan
No beach bars, just yard work.
Didn't work on the motor. The machine shop still has it.They have polished and balanced the crankshaft, balanced pistons and rods, camshaft journals line bored. Waiting on those Clevite 77 Performance bearings and Plasma-Moly piston rings.
You're right...when its done...no second chance! :checkered: :yippie: :biggrin:

BUIZILLA
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
camshaft journals line bored. why would they do that??

p729lws
05-22-2007, 10:01 PM
No beach bars, just yard work.

You're right...when its done...no second chance! :checkered: :yippie: :biggrin:

No beach bars and no motor work??? Sounds like a wasted day off, lol.

MOP
05-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Have to ponder that one! Is it a new added must have:boggled:

Barry Eller
05-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Not completely wasted. My yard looks nice. Nice wine and Sushi Dinner...

It makes sure the holes where the camshaft bearings are seated is perfectly aligned. (A straight shot) No binding on the camshaft. It a thing my dad did back in the 60's with the old 413, 426 Wedge Mopar Super Stock Dragsters he built. Later he built Hemis. The race cars he built for the Dodge dealer he worked for were called "Gunsmoke".

It's probably a little over kill as engine blocks are built better today, just something I wanted to do.

BUIZILLA
05-23-2007, 07:18 AM
so where did you find the oversize cam bearings?

Barry Eller
05-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Did not need oversize bearings. Machine shop said the block was almost perfect. Was mostly a check/see where it was.

Here is information on line boring...

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/eb60660.htm