PDA

View Full Version : What I learned this weekend

Cuda
05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Here's what I learned this weekend. Before, and after pictures. The before isn't the exact same tub in the after picture, but it was very similar. That is the actual "after" picture.

Cuda
05-21-2007, 08:14 AM
The guys who actually run that training program, own a business called "Tub King". They sort of specialize in antique claw foot tubs like the one we refinished. He was saying how hard they are getting to find nowdays. They have people hunting all over the country for them, then they refinish them.

Well, on the way home, Debbie and I stopped at a freind of mine, who I knew was getting his boat ready for Memorial Weekend. He lives out in the country, in a lot of cattle area around him. I was telling him about the antique tubs, and that Deb thought she saw one two houses down from his. He said that was his cousin, and he tried to call him, with no success. His brother owns a fernery, and has a couple cattle in a field that's right next to his lane. As I was driving out, I looked over, and there was a clawfoot tub, being used to water the cattle. I went back to his place, and told him to call his brother (lives across the street). He brother said he'd give it to me, if I brought him something else to put the water in. I had already stopped at Tractor Supply, and saw I could get a 40 gallon water tub for cattle for $30. As I left his house, I didn't drive a quarter mile, and saw three more of them sitting out. I couldn't tell what one was being used for (scalding hair off hogs I think), one had onion growing in it, and one had a horse drinking out of it. I'll send Debbie that was this week, with a trailer, and see what she can find to make deals on.
The first picture is my buddy's brothers tub, then the others I saw within a quarter mile. Apparently, the tubs aren't that rare in cattle country in Florida.:)

Cuda
05-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Antique cast iron farm sinks are also a hot item.

yeller
05-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Looks like new Cuda. What's used to refinish. Is it a new porcelain finish.

Love that sink.

Cuda
05-21-2007, 06:50 PM
The top coat is: A high solids sprayable 2 component aliphatic acrylic urethane used as a finishing coat for porcelain, fiberglass, ceramic or any industrial use.

The primer is : A two component, 1:1 ratio polyamide cured epoxy primer with three Silanes blended into the catalyst. Used in the aerospace industry.

Cuda
12-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I got that tub in post 2 that's full of water several months ago from my buddy's brother. I ground it down, applied Osfo (rust restorerer), primed it, three different times (I wasn't happy with the first two times), and shot the top coat on it this evening. If it looks ok to me tomorrow, I'll get a couple of guys over here to help me flip it over, and I'll start on the inside.

Cuda
12-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I really enjoy doing this, and I'm willing to bet, that this coating is tougher than powder coating.

VetteLT193
12-12-2007, 07:51 PM
So... it works on fiberglass...

When is your next boat project going to arrive:wink:

Cuda
12-12-2007, 08:39 PM
So... it works on fiberglass...
When is your next boat project going to arrive:wink:
Yes, it works on fiberglass showers. I'm boat broke right now. :(