PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gaskets

problemchild
05-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Over the winter I had the drive rebuilt, and this spring I repaited it... Fianally got it all put back together and went to start it. It ran fine but when we pulled the dipstick we found some water in the oil:eek: Last year I replaced the head gaskets mid season-as they were found to be both blown. I also noticed the heads were warped and had them decked. (We figure the guy before me over heated it or something) I pulled the top half of the motor last weekend and found them to be blown again between the water jacket and the cylinder. I think water that never drained out over the winter did this as the metal ring around the cylinder was pushed in, away the water jacket, anyone else had this trouble? Is this something more serious than gaskets?
thanks for your time,
Alex

MOP
05-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Try the Marine Felpro Blue (1) torques they seem to be one of the best. I notice you say the rings were puished into the cylinders is that correct? If so you may have excessive water pressure in the block when running at speed. Usualy the ring is pushed into the jacket from cylinder pressure.
Phil

scott snider
05-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Alex We need details on the engine, Ford or Chevy,big block (MARK IV,GEN V,GEN VI) or small block, engine size,cyl.heads used, casting numbers,head gaskets used, part numbers? Like to help Scott

Rootsy
05-21-2007, 10:58 AM
#1 check the block flatness

#2 have your torque wrench calibration verified

#3 use new head bolts

#4 use a quality gasket and follow manufacturers torque procedures and use torque level spec'd by bolt manufacturer with the appropriate thread lubricant

#5 verify that bolts have retained their clamp load after a heat cycle unless manufacturer of gasket says to retorque

problemchild
05-21-2007, 11:27 AM
it's a built 400 chevy small block (450 hp) with 11:1 compression (that i'm sure doesn't help my head gasket prolem:wink: ) and after market heads if that helps (not sure of the make), Ive been using felpro gaskets, (After they blew the first time my dad wanted me to use the .10" thicker gasket) I asume that thicker is better?? we figure that bad gas caused pre-detonation and blew 'em the first time, but I think that water got plugged up in the block over the winter as even though I drained the block before I took the motor apart I found some water in a coulple of the water jackets around the cylinders where the gaskets blew, which I unplugged with the air hose. I'm going to try and order the new gaskets after school today, I'll make sure to get the ones MOP was talking about earlier...
-alex

;

mrfixxall
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
it's a built 400 chevy small block (450 hp) with 11:1 compression (that i'm sure doesn't help my head gasket prolem:wink: ) and after market heads if that helps (not sure of the make), Ive been using felpro gaskets, (After they blew the first time my dad wanted me to use the .10" thicker gasket) I asume that thicker is better?? we figure that bad gas caused pre-detonation and blew 'em the first time, but I think that water got plugged up in the block over the winter as even though I drained the block before I took the motor apart I found some water in a coulple of the water jackets around the cylinders where the gaskets blew, which I unplugged with the air hose. I'm going to try and order the new gaskets after school today, I'll make sure to get the ones MOP was talking about earlier...
-alex
;

Problemchild,,make sure your using the correct head..
I dont know if your aware of the 400 sbc,the heads are soppose to have steam ports between the cylinders..If the heads are not drilled for a chevy 400 then the engine will blow the head gasget between the cyliners..also make sure the head gasgets are for a 400 sbc which will also have the steam ports drilled in the gasget...show us a pic of the block and the serface of your heads,and like rootsy said replace the headbolts and make sure you use the proper sealer on the head bolts..Btw im running 10.8 compression in my engine and it has been worrie free for 8 yrs,,when you start getting into 13.5 to 1 then you should use copper head gasgets with the block o ringed...

MOP
05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
mrfixxall hit the steam hole issue on the head, do a search there is a lot of info and a few diagrams out there to show if you have them and where to drill if you don't. I am 100% with your dad, with the iffy gas out there I would go for a fat head gasket to drop a little compression.

Phil

problemchild
05-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the help, i'll try everything-hopefully I'll get it back together for memorial day...
Thanks again,
-Alex