PDA

View Full Version : Octane boost safe for unleaded cars?

David Ochs
05-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know of an octane booster that is safe to use for a new car?
I have a new Acura that has a compression ratio of 11:1 and it pings. I've had it to the dealer and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the car and to use higher octane gas. No kidding! I live in the San Diego area and the highest octane unleaded we can get is 91, which is all we've been using.
Thanks for letting me post this here since this is not even boat related, but I know you guys know a lot about this stuff and asking here is my best shot at getting good info.
Dave

mrfixxall
05-19-2007, 05:39 PM
try 107 octane boost or torco,,works for me in my m3...do you have a snoco or a citgo station? here in ill they have 100 octane at the pump.. or try a speed shop and get a 5 gallon can and pre mix it with 91..or have the pcm reprogramed to take some timing out imn the upper rpm..
good luck..

http://www.need4speedpower.com/torco.html?gclid=CLu2kqGqnYwCFRXRIgodtxuH0Q

David Ochs
05-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I'll look for the 107 boost. My concern is whether it has any lead component to it and damage the cat. There are no Sunoco's or any other dealers with anything over 91. We do have the 100 available for off road use only, but it contains lead. Others with the same car have posted this same problem on other Acura websites, and they are running 93. I was hoping to learn if the problem is with the car or fuel.

mrfixxall
05-20-2007, 01:02 PM
DAVE TRY ONE OF THEASE PLACES,,OR YOU CAN GO TO POMONA RACEWAY OR ANY THATS CLOSE TO YOUR HOME AND FILL YOUR OWN JUGGS .

Phone: 951-674-9167
Fax: 951-674-7367
vppacific@aol.com

Technical assistance and local dealer information also can be obtained from the following VP distributors:

ARIZONA
Phoenix - Western States Petroleum
800-220-1353
Susie@westernstatespetroleum.com

CALIFORNIA
Bloomington - Merit Oil
909-877-2651

Corona - Downs Energy
888-810-3835
ron.skelskey@downsenergy.com

Stockton - Van De Pol Enterprises
888-587-3835 or 209-944-9115
tom@vandepol.us

BigGrizzly
05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
David I worked fpr Honda for 24 years and the Acura was one of my project cars Fact is if your car pings it is not harmful. The dealer is correct but for the wrong reason! The ecu will not allow the car's ignition hurt itself. It has two O2 se3nsors ,one at the header and one down stream the ECU/ECM monitors both and fixes any problem in that area, regardless what fuel is used. What you are experiencing is lean burn. Not harmful. DO NOT use any lead in the fuel system, it will cause a multitude of issues with the cat. You may want to look on the Ridgline owners website. There is a discussion on the gas subject. Don't let the 11:1 comp ratio scare you, ther3e is more involved than just that. Don't reinvent the wheel. I can assure you that there is nothing that you can do that we haven't already though of. You can try this un hook the battery for atleast 45 seconds and let the ECM re set itself. Then hook it back up and try it..