PDA

View Full Version : Ain't no stopping me now!

Cuda
05-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I brought home an oven that the stove top doesn't work on. I'm going to try my hand at powdercoating. I've got some pulleys to try it on first.

My sandblasting cabinet fits perfect on top of it, and there's a 220 outlet on the wall in my garage right there.

Cuda
05-17-2007, 07:50 PM
One minor detail holding me up. The plug on the stove doesn't match the outlet on the wall. :(

Nothing that a trip to Lowes won't cure.

Johntrip
05-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Bzzzzzzzzzz... don't shock yourself! Did you get the 20hp fired up yet??

Barry Eller
05-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Can I send you some parts to be powerd coated?:biggrin.:

That's a great ideal. My wife said NO when I told her I was going to get a power coating kit and use her oven.:idea:

She also said NO when I was going to put my flywheel ring in the oven and the flywheel in the freezer!:frown:

Rootsy
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
PC is the only way to fly when things will fit in the oven...

short of the block, cylinder heads, pump in the powersteering resevoir and the balancer EVERYTHING on the mouse is powdercoated...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24129&d=1158800395

gcarter
05-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Can I send you some parts to be powerd coated?:biggrin.:
That's a great ideal. My wife said NO when I told her I was going to get a power coating kit and use her oven.:idea:
She also said NO when I was going to put my flywheel ring in the oven and the flywheel in the freezer!:frown:
I did my flywheel when my wife wasn't home.......
It takes less than an hour.

Cuda
05-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Rootsy, what color blue did you use?

Cuda
05-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Bzzzzzzzzzz... don't shock yourself! Did you get the 20hp fired up yet??
The 20 got hijacked by a pirate in West Palm, when it was enroute to Deland.:lookaroun:

Rootsy
05-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Cuda,

the color is called lollipop blue... it is from caswell plating. It is a candy translucent so it is not opaque. On my intake it is applied over extreme chrome PC. Same basic build theory as painting candies...

On the pulleys it is applied over freshly blasted steel and i prefer it htat way... With the intake i didn't sandblast the powdercoated surface (extreme chrome) slightly and adhesion is not the best... the blue is easily chipped as it doesn't have anything to grab onto with the glass smooth substrate (extreme chrome PC).

I have since found a couple of other blues that i like better...

Cuda
05-21-2007, 11:30 AM
I have since found a couple of other blues that i like better...
Which ones?

vonkamp
05-22-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm using Eastwood powders. They work well for me and Eastwood has a great forum for info.
I had a few parts PC'd and it cost me alot so I did the same thing. found an old oven, built a sandblast cabinet, and got it going. here are a couple of my parts I did.

The alternator is Starlight Purple and looks much better than the pic.
The valve cover is Wrinkle Black with a Starlight Clear 2nd coat

Check out the EW forums.
http://forum.eastwoodco.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Cuda
05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm using Eastwood powders. They work well for me and Eastwood has a great forum for info.
I had a few parts PC'd and it cost me alot so I did the same thing. found an old oven, built a sandblast cabinet, and got it going. here are a couple of my parts I did.
The alternator is Starlight Purple and looks much better than the pic.
The valve cover is Wrinkle Black with a Starlight Clear 2nd coat
Check out the EW forums.
http://forum.eastwoodco.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Did you have to gut the alternator before putting it in the oven?

vonkamp
05-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Did you have to gut the alternator before putting it in the oven?

Yes, meant to post this pic as well.

Cuda, have you bought a powdercoat gun yet? There are some that do not require air but they have not gotten very good reviews. I bought Eastwoods cheaper gun (elite hotcoat kit) and it seems to work great but I don't have any thing to compare it to either.

Some of the things I learned the hard way about powdercoating
Cast aluminum parts MUST be outgassed before powdercoating.
Outgassing is baking part in oven at 450 for about an hour after cleaning.
keep your fingers away from the little metal thingy at the end of the gun. (even after releasing the charge button) :bonk: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Cuda
05-22-2007, 09:09 PM
As a matter of fact, I stopped at Harbor Freight and bought their powdercoating kit. May not be worth a damn, I don't know.

I DO know that the cord I bought for my oven won't fit the outlet on the wall. They only had two at HD, the one like I showed above, and this one. Can I cut off the bottom blade?:confused:

vonkamp
05-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I think you would be better off changing your recepticle to match the original stove plug.

Cuda
05-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I think you would be better off changing your recepticle to match the original stove plug.
I was afraid you were going to say that. Everytime I start out as an electrician, I end up being a welder.:eek!: :(

Rootsy
05-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Cuda,

just get yourself the correct plug and recepticle... don't go nippin prongs i wouldn't want to hear about a crispy Joe...

I have never used Eastwood powders, mainly because they are a bit pricy... I've been using Caswell Plating powders, but their shipping is becoming a bit expensive... I just bought a 2 lb can of white from Rosey's powdercoating supplies (you can find em on the net or ebay)...

The majority of the powders you are going to find are blended by one of a few big names like DuPont, etc.

I bought the Caswell gun when i started out... It does the trick fairly well for the most part... They just came out with a new gun with variable voltage setting... Voltage (potential difference) is THE KEY to making this whole thing work... the bigger the potential difference the better adherence of powder you are going to get to the raw part (greater static cling).

Pre-heating parts helps for powder clinging to part also... I generally sandblast, wash down with some carb or break parts cleaner... stick it in the oven for 20 minutes or so @ 350 to bake off any oils or solvents. Let it cool (otherwise the powder will melt as it is applied). Then bake per instructions and let it cool by just opening the oven door...

In cold temps i also preheat to 100 - 200 F then apply powder... It helps with a Faraday notch situation also (a sharp internal or external corner) where powder, due to the shape of the fields does not want to go and in trying you end up applying too much powder to the surrounding area.

btw, the other blue I have is called i believe blue sparkle

Cuda
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Apparently, I have no power on that outlet anyway. I'm pretty sure the previous owner had a big compressor that came off these wires, that I think was 220.

Cuda
05-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I finally got the oven wired up. What was throwing me off, was the breaker was installed backwards, off was on, and visa versa. I replaced the outlet on the wall, my electrician buddy told me that was a plug for a 50 amp welder. The only casualty of me playing electrician/welder, was one 110 outlet that got smoked while I was trying to figure if my meter was working. :)

Now, if I can shake this hangover, thanks to Catch22 and Gina visiting last night, I may go powder coat something.

Cuda
05-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Not too bad for my first attempt. Just the obvious like where I touched it after spraying.

I found out also why you don't want to touch the tip while it's on. It shocked the piss out of me! It didn't seem like it was blowing enough powder, so like an idiot, I reached out to touch the tip. I don't know how many volts that is, but it's a sizeable amount. Both my arms hurt

I have a alt pulley and the nut in the Easy Bake Oven right now.

vonkamp
05-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Looks good cuda. That's funny I call mine an easy bake oven also :pizza:. I'm going to spend my Saturday powdercoating, got all my parts prepped this week.
Also, dont touch the tip of the gun to your project cuz it will cook the powder and you will be stripping it back off. If it does not seem to be blowing powder, try gently shaking the gun a little.

Cuda
05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Second batch.