PDA

View Full Version : 1969 18 2plus 3 V-drive

bubbad
05-16-2007, 10:55 PM
I Own A 69 18 2plus3 With A Holman Moody 351ford Eng. And Vdrive .baby Blue With A White Stripe. Its A Left Hand Drive.with Original Trailer.the Windshield Has A Decal On It That Says , Bobby Allison Racing-holman-moody.the Boat Is 100% Original With 453hrs.does Anyone Know The History Of This Boat?how Many Where Made? And The Value? I Would Like This Info For Insurance Reasons.i Have Owned The Boat For 23 Years,and Would Never Consider Selling It. And Living In Ala. Knowledge About Donzi V-drives Is Non-existant.i Would Also Like To Buy A New Prop.can Anyone Tell Me The Correct Pitch,and Size?i Am Currently Running A Menkins But Am Unsure Of The Size.

chappy
05-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the board. Possibly a search about your boat on the above menu could get you the information you need. Good luck, and if you have any pictures, post them, I'm sure many will want to see them. There aren't too many like yours around these days.
Rich

Bob
05-17-2007, 08:29 PM
V-Drives are relatively rare but totally bullet-proof with a small block. What V-Drive is in it? 1969 could have been Crusader or perhaps Casale. Welcome to the board-we need pics!!

BERTRAM BOY
05-17-2007, 09:06 PM
If you have the hull number, that would be very helpfull.

mphatc
05-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Welcome! Very cool boat:)

Insurance companies want appraisals and surveys for value. I good marine survey will help you to establish the value of your boat, and document it in an official format.

I had one done 3 years ago on my 1969 Donzi, and was pleasnatly surprised at the value . . and it made getting insurance for the correct value a snap.

Good luck, share some pictures of your boat!

Mario L.

wagspe208
08-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Bubbard...you are in luck!! Hope you are still following the forum
I bought a 18 with a 350 and a v-drive.
It has a 13 x 15 pitch 3 blade bronze prop. I asked on the v-driveboats.com site the same questions. I was pointed to Tom Bentley at Menkens v-drives. Very helpful guy. I had dealt with him regarding drag hydro prop some tme back.
I am getting ready to order it tomorrow.
His prices are reasonable...750.00. Nice guy.
My boat...after some engine tuning only runs 4300 rim at 49 mph or so. I'm not wanting a race boat..have one already. Just mid 50's. Stock 350 as far as I can tell. I'll keep yo informed.
Steve

rustnrot
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
On Mark's 16 v-drive he runs a 12x15 LH prop (you know it could be a 13x15 LH I cannot remember). One thing about a v drive is you have access to um-teen good inexpensive props as the size you need is probably on somebody's ski boat right now. Or you can get a new one from Michigan Wheel or the ilk for probably $300.

Mark's 16 does 45 mph at 4000 rpms GPS. We had it up to 4400 rpms (max it would go) last weekend but did not GPS it..very short while at WOT and with only a few hours on his new 302 HO engine did not want to push it. So I will guess 47-48 mph tops.

His v drive runs a 1 inch shaft, the most common for inboard engines. I would imagine that an 18 v drive would also have a one inch shaft.

wagspe208, what is the ratio of your v drive box? Mark's is right at or near 1:1 and is a Crusader box.

wagspe208
08-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Mine is 1:1. Maybe a little off, but not much by the old eyeball trick. I will order a prop from Tom tomorrow. Should be here by next weekend (after Labor Day.) I have a 13 x 15 Michigan?? now. It will be for sale pretty reasonable.
I will GPS before and after switch. Same day, etc to get as comparison. Report rpm, mph, etc. As a drag boat guy, nothing to it. I think I run about 49 now. I'd be real happy with 55. (no I don' think a prop alone will do it). Winter will be a different manifold, cam, maybe heads, depends on how much of a difference the prop makes. I might build a 383, but it isn't a speed boat. If I want to run 150+, I will jump in the hydro.
Wags

rustnrot
08-29-2007, 07:20 AM
wagspe208, it appears the performance of your 18 and Mark's 16 are virtually identical now, yours with a 350 and his with a 302.

I am VERY curious how a "labbed"--is that the right term? prop does on your boat. Is the new prop also a 13x15 but different in terms of cup, etc.?