PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel positioning

tripperjharley
05-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I have an 18'classic. Had it out twice so far this season. Seems that when running staight at slow speeds steering wheel looks straight. When starting to run at higher speeds wheel is 90 - 180 degree turn to right but still running straight. If I utilize trim tabs more efficiently can i get wheel to look straight when I am going straight. Not that it really matters, just making sure nothing is wrong.
Thanks.

MOP
05-16-2007, 08:08 PM
By turning the wheel you are compensating for prop torque, I am surprised you need to turn it so much. Need more info on drive type, power or non power steering!

tripperjharley
05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks, It is an alpha 1 drive, The boat is a 2000. I believe it is power steering.

MOP
05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Does the drive have the fin type zinc behind the prop? If it does you can adjust it to take away some of the pull.

brwn234
10-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I've got the same issue with my 22zx. When ideling the wheel is dead center. When at speed and holding a straight line the wheel is probably about 60 to 70 degrees to the right. The previous owner told me that he removed the wheel (not the hub) and reinstalled it so it would be straight while ideling. It's not a big deal, just wondering if I should ignore it.

Mudball
10-01-2007, 10:42 PM
What Mop said.

That being said, I installed full hydraulic steering on my 22zx, and the wheel is NEVER in the same place.

So, I installed a non-centering wheel! So it doesn't matter any more...

Note that even with the stock steering, my wheel was never straight...
Kent

brwn234
10-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Good to know, I wont bother with it then. Those guage bezels look great. My boat has yellow and purple graffics. I was trying to decide which color to go with. Purple looks like the ticket. thanks for the reply

BigGrizzly
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
This is the nature of the beast. One other thing if you trim it mor the angle will decrease, but it may porpoise more.

mrfixxall
10-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Every alpha & bravo boat ive driven with power steering never pulled one way or the other unless the rack is bad.. the rack is designed to lock if any pressure is against it then when you turn the wheel it releases the pressurre.

MOP
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Many props produce a lot of torque or it is also possible that the balancing valve in the power steering ram is incorrectly set.

Phil

brwn234
10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
There is no pull. You just notice that yoru going straight and the wheel is turned a quarter of the way to the left. I thought I was gonna ignore it but it sounds like something I can fix. How do I go about diagnosing this? Should I bother trying to adjust the "balancing valve"?

mrfixxall
10-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Many props produce a lot of torque or it is also possible that the balancing valve in the power steering ram is incorrectly set.
Phil

I have a friend that has twin 425 hp sbc done by yours truely:wink:
and he is spinning two four blades (right direction and not counter rotating )
with a tiebar and steering off of one older MR style steering rack and one pump and it doesnt torque steer at all...

so mabe mop is right about the ballancing valve being misadjusted.

MOP
10-02-2007, 10:48 PM
If you have standard cable steering it is very easy! The steering cable has a heavy wire wound around the inner core that engages the teethe in the helm. What you do is to loosen the nut that holds the cable into the helm, turn the wheel one direction it will just stop but in the other it will wind the cable go slowly until you feel it ratcheting go slow and try to judge how far the wheel needs to go to be straight when running. You may have to do it a few time to get it exact. This need to be done anytime a new cable is installed, done many time it is easy. Like you customers do not like a crooked wheel.

Phil

gcarter
10-03-2007, 06:24 AM
If you have standard cable steering it is very easy! The steering cable has a heavy wire wound around the inner core that engages the teethe in the helm. What you do is to loosen the nut that holds the cable into the helm, turn the wheel one direction it will just stop but in the other it will wind the cable go slowly until you feel it ratcheting go slow and try to judge how far the wheel needs to go to be straight when running. You may have to do it a few time to get it exact. This need to be done anytime a new cable is installed, done many time it is easy. Like you customers do not like a crooked wheel.

Phil
Another way is to invest in a new wheel, or just a new hub. Most, if not all, of the newer MOMO wheel hubs have twelve screw holes in them so you have a choice of positioning every 30*. But Phils idea ALWAYS works.