View Full Version : Ford V10

glashole
05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
has anyone had any experience with this motor

any good or bad points when compared to the diesel in the same truck :confused:

lets say a 350 crew cab? :)

tiger lily
05-16-2007, 10:40 AM
i have driven both trucks, i own a 99 PSD, crew cab, long box 4x4, my dad has a 04 crew cab long box 4x4 with the v-10, and that truck will pass almost everything but a gas station, he hauls a baja 420 with it, normally the boat is left at the ramp, so he just puts it in and out, but twice a year the boat will go in and out of storage, which is about a 60 mile haul, it has no problem at all with that load, smaller loads it hauls them beautiful, i love my PSD but if i did it over again, i would personally go with the v-10, if you have big plans to modify it, the diesels are alot of fun,but that v-10 has been one awesome truck, not one problem at all.

Greg K
05-16-2007, 11:03 AM
My 99 F-350 crew cab dually with V-10 has served me very well.

CHACHI
05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
My office has a E350 with a V-10. Thing just flat out hauls. Will run at 100 MPH for hours on end. 70K plus miles, only had to change a power steering pump.And like Tiger Lily said ..............thirsty.
Ken

Forrest
05-16-2007, 11:23 AM
We have a 2000 V10 Excursion. It does a great job pulling my Magnum and just about anything else as well. We drove it up to Lake Superior (Bessemer, MI) from Tallahassee, summer before last. During the highway part of the trip, and doing the speed limit for the most part, the average-mileage indicator showed right at 16 MPG; however, it usually shows 12-13 in combination in-town/highway no-towing driving.

As I understand, some older V10s had a problem with spark-plug thread failure and subsequent plug blow-out. I think that it mostly happened to people who never changed their spark plugs and or used the wrong (long-reach) plug that was only threaded half-way up.

All and all, I like the V10. I originally looked for a used PSD Excursion and few to none were to be found, and when they did turn up, they commanded big premium over the V10.

glashole
05-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I am debating about a new personal truck :)

I generally drive a shop truck so my personal vehicle sees maybe 10000 km (about 6000 miles) year or less, which doesn't seem to warrant a diesel engine

50% of the time I am pulling a trailer

my shop trucks have diesel and they work great and will haul pretty much anything you put behind them and barely work at it :)

right now I have a single cab F150 with the 5.0L but it works at big hills with the 22 behind

Cuda
05-16-2007, 06:05 PM
If you are just pulling the 22, I'd buy an F 150 with a 5.4, or a 4.6. I pulled a 242 Formula with twins with a 99 F150, with no problems at all. I put 122k miles on it, only changing oil, and filters, and an alternator at 111k. If you don't need the Superduty, that F150 was the best vehicle I ever owned. I worked it like rented mule, and sold it to the first guy that looked at it. Great, great truck. I had to go Super Duty when I bought the 302, and I love my 05 PSD. Right now, the computer for fuel consumption is sitting n 18.1 mpg, and I paid less for diesel today, than the regular gas was priced. Also, resell at the end with kill you on an SD with a gasser.