PDA

View Full Version : What did I just do???!!!

cutwater
05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
I just picked up the Sweet 16 351/Eaton off of Ebay. I've been snooping around the board for a couple of years now, but I guess this makes me an official Donzi owner. I'm not really sure what made me do such a thing, but I got this bad feeling that if I didn't rescue this piece of Donzi history it would end up with a wakeboard tower or radar bridge! :bonk:

I may or may not be starting a restoration immediately (depending on work), but I will keep this boat safe and complete. If I don't have time in the near future to start a restoration, I would at least like to see this boat go to a board member looking for a project. My head is already full with questions, so any and all advice is welcomed!

Thanks, John

-------------

Pismo
05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
It's awesome.

penbroke
05-14-2007, 07:28 PM
:cool: :yes: Price is right too.

Frank

chappy
05-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Congratulations, can you make out the HIN?

Rich

p729lws
05-14-2007, 09:48 PM
I guess this makes me an official Donzi owner

Owning one of the earliest VIN numbers will do that! Very cool purchase! :cool:

Dan

Tom Davis
05-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Very cool boat! I love the 16s, but one of the guys you need to talk to is Robbie up at Lake Winni he owns a restoration and boat finishing company call Robbie's Restorations. He got a hold of a boat of the same vintage with the same set up. He can talk in great detail about his restoration.

Two things I do know is the drive is junk, impossible to find parts for and will shatter into irreplaceable little pieces if you put any real power to it, and you really need to split the boat to find out what your dealling with structurally.

I would put a Merc 4.3lx v6 motor/alpha drive package in it and have a ball.

Good luck, it's a great boat!

glashole
05-15-2007, 09:39 AM
if you do ever want to get rid of it drop me a line

otherwise have a great time

if it runs as is enjoy it for the next while
unrestored boats are just as fun as restored boats as long as you are on the water :)

Pismo
05-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Is that one of those drives that swings up sideways?

Tony
05-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Sweet boat!
My humble opinion: 302 Ford w/ a Volvo 290 DPT (duoprop w/ trim).

:beer:

Rodger
05-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Yes it is one of those units that swing up sideways.

Rodger
05-15-2007, 09:49 PM
It has been upgraded with a 351 which means it does not have the original bell housing. If there is a desire to put it back to original with an old 260 or 289, I have the bell housing required to do so.

f_inscreenname
05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Sweet boat!
My humble opinion: 302 Ford w/ a Volvo 290 DPT (duoprop w/ trim).
Noooooooooooooo.:eek!:
Restore not replace it.:wink:

Tony
05-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Noooooooooooooo.:eek!:
Restore not replace it.:wink:

You don't restore Eatons...and sticking with the Volvo (even though the 290 is a little newer) is true to the age of this boat. Using the Ford (can you say Holman-Moody?!) 302 or 351...I think more 60's Donzis came with the 302 which, in my opinion, gives you great torque and less weight than the 351.

Budmann
05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
THAT'S HOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Sweet little 16
05-16-2007, 08:11 PM
You don't restore Eatons...and sticking with the Volvo (even though the 290 is a little newer) is true to the age of this boat. Using the Ford (can you say Holman-Moody?!) 302 or 351...I think more 60's Donzis came with the 302 which, in my opinion, gives you great torque and less weight than the 351.

the 302 didn't make it appearance until 1968 the 351 until 69 so my money would be on the 289 for the most popular engine in a 60's donzi if you want old school make it a 165 hp 289 and leave the eaton if you have any worries about the drive leaving the back of the boat while you are under way go to something else plus the 290 is not timeline right either it was a late 70's debut
make it your boat how ever you want it

f_inscreenname
05-16-2007, 08:14 PM

"Sticking with Volvo's" ????? :eek!: Volvo makes the best drive on the planet. Any year.
This boat is more about history then efficiency or speed. I say get it like it came from the factory and flip everyone out who sees it. There is four Donzi 16's that run the river I play on and they all are pretty much the same. Even though I do watch them fly by when they do, this one in mint condition would make me turn around and chase it down for a second look.

MOP
05-16-2007, 08:14 PM
The boat is a real nice find the best of luck with getting up to snuff!

Phil

Sweet little 16
05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
"Sticking with Volvo's" ????? :eek!: Volvo makes the best drive on the planet. Any year.
This boat is more about history then efficiency or speed. I say get it like it came from the factory and flip everyone out who sees it. There is four Donzi 16's that run the river I play on and they all are pretty much the same. Even though I do watch them fly by when they do, this one in mint condition would make me turn around and chase it down for a second look.

I know volvos and that ain't no volvo so i would be careful who you flip off they will be the ones who pass by and wave after your 351 blows a big old hole in your boat and your piece of history is on way to the display case in davey jones' locker

f_inscreenname
05-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I know volvos and that ain't no volvo so i would be careful who you flip off they will be the ones who pass by and wave after your 351 blows a big old hole in your boat and your piece of history is on way to the display case in davey jones' locker

Did I miss something here??:confused:

Sweet little 16
05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Did I miss something here??:confused:

yes i think you did that boat left the factory with either a 165 or 210 hp 289 not a 351 and an eaton drive not a volvo drive an eaton that to trailer the hole drive spun to the side which was known to happen while under way then come off the boat and last i knew flotation foam was not an option on the early boats
yes it is a great find that needs alot of work and the big decision on how to restore

chappy
05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
This boat is more about history then efficiency or speed. I say get it like it came from the factory and flip everyone out who sees it.

"Flipout". Still haven't read about anyone flipping anyone off, sorry.

Rich

Sweet little 16
05-16-2007, 08:56 PM
sorry

Rodger
05-16-2007, 09:04 PM
the 302 didn't make it appearance until 1968 the 351 until 69 so my money would be on the 289 for the most popular engine in a 60's donzi if you want old school make it a 165 hp 289 and leave the eaton if you have any worries about the drive leaving the back of the boat while you are under way go to something else plus the 290 is not timeline right either it was a late 70's debut
make it your boat how ever you want it

The 165 HP was a 2 bbl. carb 260 not a 289. To prevent the drive from leaving the back of the boat while underway; drill & tap for 1/2-13 right thru the inside housing into the drive a couple inches from the 3/4" pin in 2 locations. That will prevent you having to scuba dive for you drive. You just won't be able to swing the drive. Insert a 2x4 to hold the drive up for trailering.

Tony
05-16-2007, 09:39 PM
The "restore or improve" topic often elicits various opinions. My suggestion of a 302 Ford & 290 DPT is kind of a compromise...staying with Ford and Volvo because that is what the 60's Donzis are known for, yet upgrading to a very respected power plant and the perfect drive (imho) for a Ski Sporter. With a tuned-up 302 and the DP drive you will have a rock solid 65mph with no chine-walk, plus a "snap-your-head-back" holeshot.

With my old '67 Ski Sporter (302/AQ200) the throttle thrust was unbelievable, at all speeds. With the proper timing, and a big-eared aluminum prop, any slight wave would let me launch into some serious air time...big fun! With a duoprop, I believe, the power & thrust would be even more pronounced. Not to mention stability at WOT, and the ability to trim on the fly...a real luxury for older Volvo models!

Of course, like others have said, do it how you want to do it and all is good. Just make sure you post pics and discuss performance results!

Magicallbill
05-17-2007, 02:53 AM
So you guys are saying that the Eaton is not a practical option?
Seems to me that if it was together and operational, the Eaton would make it truly unique.
Tony, why can't they be restored? No parts available?
When did they stop equipping the 16's with Eatons and go to Volvo?

Rodger
05-17-2007, 08:01 AM
The problem I had with the Eaton was shear-pin failure. It originally had the 165 HP 260 and the pin would bend but not break. I build a very nice 302 for it that added quite a bit of speed. With this engine I popped pins all the time. I had to fabricate pins out of grade 8 shoulder bolts and even those would occasionally break but not very often. The problem then was the hole for the pin through the prop shaft started to elongate.

BERTRAM BOY
05-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Check out the before and after pics of my project.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36261

I think that alot of us agree the the Eaton would be a great novelty, I guess you have to ask yourself, "how am I going to use this boat"? If reliability is key, then Ford/Volvo or GM/Merc would be the way to go. I love Volvo drives too, but there's something so nice about going to any dealer to easily get Merc parts and props.

penbroke
05-17-2007, 09:55 AM
...When did they stop equipping the 16's with Eatons and go to Volvo?

My 18 was built in mid '66 as far as I can tell. It was shipped with an Eaton Interceptor power package. This was a 2bbl 289 mated with what was to be later labeled as a Volvo AQ200 drive.

I think it would be great to keep the Eaton drive but I also think a Ford/Volvo 250-270 setup would be period correct and reliable enough for everyday use.

Frank

Peter Sobran
05-17-2007, 10:42 AM
If these boats are as good as we think they are, every "mod" and performance upgrade will prove to be a regrettable move. How many GT350s were dragged out from behind a shed with the dash cut apart for a Craig 8 track and the wheel wells cut out for some oversized Mickey Thompsons (rest his soul)? Good ideas for extra enjoyment at the time. Gauges with big red trim rings are cool but one day we will look at them and say, "look at those gauges, how 2007!", and then go on Ebay to look for Stewart Warners and Eaton parts. While Donzi Ski Sporters will never be GT350s they are certain to stick around. We are only on this earth for a short time and what we want to do with these things is what ever we darned well please but someone will be dragging our Sporters from behind a shed one day.

BERTRAM BOY
05-17-2007, 11:18 AM
If these boats are as good as we think they are, every "mod" and performance upgrade will prove to be a regrettable move. How many GT350s were dragged out from behind a shed with the dash cut apart for a Craig 8 track and the wheel wells cut out for some oversized Mickey Thompsons (rest his soul)? Good ideas for extra enjoyment at the time. Gauges with big red trim rings are cool but one day we will look at them and say, "look at those gauges, how 2007!", and then go on Ebay to look for Stewart Warners and Eaton parts. While Donzi Ski Sporters will never be GT350s they are certain to stick around. We are only on this earth for a short time and what we want to do with these things is what ever we darned well please but someone will be dragging our Sporters from behind a shed one day.

Peter,
I see your point, but the difference is that you can build a Shelby GT350 from catalog parts nowadays. Where do get parts for your Eaton drive if it breaks a week before the dustoff?
Also, if you run in a group, which a lot of us do, you just won't be able to keep up. I would have to imagine that when that boat left the factory, it's top speed was around 45 mph. With my current GM/Merc combo, I can run 55-60, and sometimes I have a hard time keeping up. I don't however worry about reliability.
Ultimatley, as you said, it's up to the owner, but unless the boat is going to be a museum piece, I just don't see any reason to use an Eaton drive.

Peter Sobran
05-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I have seen the stuff you and others do and I only wish I had the time and skill. You guys are not hacking anything up. You guys do not fall into the "I want to make my 1966 Ski Sporter look like my friend's Baja" category. If your boat was a GT350 and someone pulled it from behind a shed they would see an all steel restoration and a solid mechanical make over, simple as that.

f_inscreenname
05-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I guess when some see a all original model "T" riding down the road they think, "If I had that I would chop, tube, box, lower and slap a big ass motor in it" and some think "man thats nice just like it is".
Old original boats are getting harder and harder find.:yes:

Magicallbill
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
My '67 Ski Sporter (displayed under the Thread "Magic's 16 in "Performance Talk) has the Volvo. I had heard that the Eatons were kinda unreliable. Even though they make a great retro-statement, I see Bertram Boys logic..Ultimately I want the boat to work on the rare days I have to use it.
Pembroke is right too, the Volvo makes the boat look original, and so far it's holding up great.