PDA

View Full Version : 500 EFI plus 5 PSI plus 30 inch prop & shorty....equals

Last Real Texan
05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
hold on tight....
Finally had a chance to go and run the boat with the test prop from BBlades. Well it has some new quirks that will have to be dealt with in the furure but it sure huals as$ thats for sure....New top speed is 84.6 MPH GPS verified and it is rock solid and takes a nice set once there....I did however run out of lake. There is still more there because it gets there in a hurry . Cruise is nice Also 3500= 50 mph and 4000= 63-64 mph and it is still out of the boost. It is a bit unsettling from 75 through to about 80 but once there the boat setlles down and takes a nice set.
All of the testing was done with 3/4 tank of fuel ( about 70 gallons) and on glass to ripples water and 85 degrees.
I still have some tweaking to do on the fuel preassure ...but it is on the fat side and I am going to work back from there....once it is set I will change the oil and be done.....that is until I grenade the drive then it will be time to get at least and XR or better.
will post more info when I have time.
Bryan

MOP
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Equals HONKING!

BigGrizzly
05-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Cool finally got it going.

Last Real Texan
05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Well I thought I would add some more info to what was stated before in the above post. I have been looking forward to this test all winter, looking forward to checking out all the hard work I have done on this thing in the past 6 months. The procharger install was not too bad , had the Ecm done by PM EFI down in La. Mark seem s to have hit the nail on the head with the tune now it is just up to me to get the fuel preassure right, He has givin me starting points but I am running it on the fat side to get through the prop testing and such without burning a hole in the pistons or worse. He says it should be about 35 PSI @ idle and should jump up to 55 PSI wide open. Right now I have it set @ 40 PSI @ Idle and it jump to About 65 PSI wide open. I have an optimistic fuel pressure gauge on my dash that reads about 10 PSi higher than the one I am getting real readings from on the shrader valve from the fuel rail, is this normal?
As far as todays testing goes it was a great afternoon for this other than the slick conditions at the lake, remember I only have a small local lake to test at during the week, no traffic and usually smooth. I did the testing with a heavy load of fuel on purpose because if it can spin the prop to max desired RPM's with this load it surely will do better...not worse as the load lessens. Max rpm turned today was 5300 @ 84.6 MPH. I am thinking now with good water and light fuel and just me this thing should run up to 5500 rpm's if and I say if I get the urge to do so. The prop I ran today was just a stock Bravo I 30 pitch, Boat came up out of the hole kind of slow but I think that was more me than the prop because I was taking it easy on the drive. Boat now stays on plane at 2300 rpms and idles at about 7 MPH. Cruise speed will be nice staying out of the boost but I have a feeling it will be burning more fuel now @ the same RPM pre Procharger. The boost just starts coming in around 4100-4200 rpms and hits hard after that, when I was running the labbed 28 I already had ,the acceleration was incredible and would push you against the seat from 3500 up. with the stock 30 it is still great but does not push you back as much as the 28. still it is like driving a different boat.
It is now time for a good set of tab indicaters that is for sure, today I did not even touch the tabs for fear of not knowing where they were....they could have come in handy driving it through to the other side of the porpoising effect between 75-80, but once on the other side it is like it has finally gotten up on the pad back there and is smooth as silk, no funny things going on just things going on really fast, as I get more seat time I am sure it will be less nerve racking watching Boost, fuel preassure and all the others very closely because it is a new install and all. Dont get me wrong ...Had a 90 mph Jet Boat and it was like a walk in the park.....had a lot of seat time and it was set up perfect ....Hope to get this thing dialed in as well as the jet boat. I will be taking it easy on the drive and hope I can get through a couple of months if not the whole season this year with it before having to upgrade but if I find a good deal on an XR that is the way I will go. If anyone has a line on one that is a deal please let me know I will go ahead and get it and keep my old drive as a spare.
Thanks for all the help and I will see you on the water......looks like I will be boating on Center Hill Lake with Big Green ZX towards the end of the summer
on a side not I was wearing the kill lanyard while doing all of this testing and a life Jacket:smash: :smash: :smash:
Bryan

The Hedgehog
05-15-2007, 05:46 AM
That is hauling in a single engine 28' boat. Heck that is hauling for a twin! I can't wait for a ride in that boat next weekend. You have dialed it in well. I will definately be wearing a vest:eek!:

The Hedgehog
05-17-2007, 06:44 AM
I am surprised that this evokes such a slight response. Someone pushes a Classic 22 to 85 and the crowd goes wild. You did it in a heavy 28' boat. That is one heck of a feat. I am looking forward to that ride on Sat when I bring the 18 over.