PDA

View Full Version : 22' Classic rolling to the port at cruising speed

1994_Classic_Blue
05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Folks,

I am new to this forum (it's great) and have my second question. I have a 1994 22' Classic that I have just purchased and when on plane she rolls to the left at a nice cruising speed. I heard that this is typical of the Classic's......is this the case? If so, how do you typically compensate for this port heal (like a sail boat). Thanks!

mrfixxall
05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
smaller diameter prop or install a set of trim tabs..

1994_Classic_Blue
05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks!

Yeh, the trim tabs are not working right now, I need a new pump but that is another issue all together.

So this sideways lean is normal on a 22' Classic? I am assuming that I just need to tweek the port trim tab to level it out a bit. My main question was.......is this port tilt/lean/heal normal (because of the deep V-hull)? Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

DonziJon
05-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks!
Yeh, the trim tabs are not working right now, I need a new pump but that is another issue all together.
So this sideways lean is normal on a 22' Classic? I am assuming that I just need to tweek the port trim tab to level it out a bit. My main question was.......is this port tilt/lean/heal normal (because of the deep V-hull)? Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Tilt to one side or the other during cruise in a straight line is not normal. My guess is that your Starboard trim tab is "slightly" depressed, or below the Full Up position, causing the "List" to port. The typical travel of Bennett trim tabs is from 0 to negative 20 degrees fully depressed. If one tab is down even a couple of degrees this will cause the lean. John

Sam
05-14-2007, 01:43 PM
It may not have anything to do with the position of your tabs and everything to do with prop torque. I have this issue on two of my boats one being a Donzi. I can make it go away by either changing the prop :mad: or just making a slight tab adjustment: :yes: . What ever the reason is make the adjustment and put the hammer down.

Good Luck

MOP
05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
On my 22 my port tab has to be down about 1" to run level, I have found this with the following, 21 Mirage, 23 Cleaver, 23 Quick Silver and also with my 23 Turbo 4 blade. The prop or props in my case torque the starboard side up, all have reacted very much the same. When I run alone I need no tab down, my skinny butt is enough to hold it level!

Phil

Cuda
05-14-2007, 03:40 PM
I had a 20 foot Formula that would lean due to prop torque with a 24 Turbo, and I found most of it went away when I changed to a cleaver propl

MOP
05-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Joe the cleaver is EVIL on a 22!

Carl C
05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
It's normal. Use a little port tab to correct it. For top speed runs you will run more positive drive trim which compensates for the prop torque and you can raise the tab. IMHO folks tend to blame everything on the propeller instead of discussing driving technique.

Carl C
05-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Classic Blue, if MadPoodle says a prop change can fix the listing then you can take that to the bank but rest assured that there is nothing "wrong" with your boat. The listing issue has been discussed here before.

1994_Classic_Blue
05-14-2007, 05:42 PM
OK, thanks everyone, this has been a huge help! This is what I had expected. I will check to ensure that the starboard trim tab is 100% retracted. I am assuming that the prop is the culprit and therefore I need to get my trim tabs working properly to counter the "list". Thanks again everyone!

Pismo
05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Put your battery, anchor, etc, everything on the high side.

Tony
05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I've got a duoprop setup so that is not the cause of my slight starboard-low list. For my situation I assume it is the battery and the 50 lb. difference is spousal weight. I can either drop the starboard tab a touch, or let the wife take the helm!

:beer:

BigGrizzly
05-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Prop and trim it higher.

p729lws
05-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Prop and trim it higher.

What BG said. My '86 22 w/ 2" shorty lists to port starting north of 3000 rpm and gets worse with increased speed. I launch w/ the tabs full up and the drive full down and start triming the drive up between 3-4K rpm as required to overcome the port list. I never need tabs except to balance passenger load.

See if it helps to trim the drive up as it lists to port.

Dan

1994_Classic_Blue
05-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks again everyone, this is a huge help.

PS - my wife taking the helm is not an option :-)

1994_Classic_Blue
05-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks again everyone this has been a huge help!

PS - my wife taking the helm is not an option :-)

TheFees
05-17-2007, 11:20 AM
The posts already cover it, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents. By any chance are you taking someone along for the ride that is more than 50 pounds different in weight than the driver. Whenever I have a boat full of people (5) I have to reposition them for even weight distribution. That makes a major difference, even in just cruising. When you catch air, with the boat leaving the water, it really makes a difference. You feel like you are coming down at a slight angle; not good. If the angle is the same way as the prop sway (term?) when you are re-entering the water, it makes it all the more difficult. When catching air, the first part of the prop to hit the water is the bottom, causing the boat to kick a little to one side with a lean as it enters. If that is the same lean as a weight imbalance, it is magnified all the more. I know throttle position on re-entry plays a part in that.
Why does as little as 50, or 100 pounds make such a difference? Think about the problem. If you have an empty coffee cup floating in a sink full of water, and you so much as put a feather on one side of the top, it would dramatically tip. Their is no resistance on the boat being pressed down in the water more on one side than the other.
Like Dan said, I use my trim tabs to balance the weight, but that gets frustrating when you are at faster speeds, it forces the boat to handle differently. In the words from the Donzi rep in Florida, "When at full speeds, let the natural hull do the work for you."
Prop factor: The prop is something that I am not familiar with, because I always have had the same cleaver racing prop. Checking your trim tabs by running a straight edge under the boat to see if they touch, allowing for a little extra to be sure. The bottom of the boat has a natural trim plane effect to it, as it gets close to the transom, right from Donzi. That is the reason why these boats leave the water, aiming forward instead of with the nose pointing to the sky. So when you check with a straight edge, allow for that curve. Somebody told me once that I could use an air board, and level out the trim tab effect of the rear of the hull and gain 5 more miles per hour. I told him I would rather have the boat do what it naturally does, and that keeps you nose forward, instead of flipping up, or getting in the nose straight up position, which is dangerous as h e double hockey sticks. :eek!:
Thanks for listening to my ramblings, this forums is the best.
Oh by the way, if you are repositioning for weight distrubution, it takes a bit of savvy to make it happen. Invariably the super heavy person feels like they are the cause of the problem, and feel embarrassed to have to reposition. That is one for discussion, how do you handle that without offending anyone? Any politicians out there? :)
One more thought, what about the trim tab located on the outdrive, aft of the prop. If that is set incorrectly it will cause the boat to steer a little to one side with your hands off of the wheel, creating a slight lean. Maybe that is not a major factor, but if it is set way off, it could contribute to the problem. Yes, No, Maybe? What's everybody's thoughts on that?
Ok, I think someone already mentioned this, but if you are trimming the nose down into the water, that will cause a lean also. I like to set mine up until it starts porposing, then bring it down until it stops the porposing, that way I have the right lift. Ok, Ok, enough for now.
1987 Classic 2+3 350mag AlphaSS