PDA

View Full Version : Mercruser-Trim question

sweet 16 1966
05-13-2007, 01:04 PM
A friend of mine has a 90/91 alpha with a trim problem.
When trimmed in the down position, it gets stuck untill the trailer up button is pressed then it works fine. Any ideas?

gold-n-rod
05-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Yup, the trim limit switch is bad. You'll find it on the transom mount. It's about 1.5" in diameter. There's a similar switch on both sides. One is for the guage and the other is for the up/down control. They can be bought for about $80/pair. The wires thread through the transom, unfortunately, and to do the job correctly, the drive has to come off (along with other parts). I am going to try and solder new switches on my "big" boat, but this is not the preferred way.

If you open the switch (3 screws) you'll likely find a lot of corrosion inside. I did.

sweet 16 1966
05-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the response.
I'll let him know it is gonna cost him!

Greg
05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I think you are supposed to take them off when you grease thr gimbal in that area. When I got my boat neither one worked and I found them to be full of grease. Fun time. Good luck

Donzigo
05-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey, don't shoot me for saying this; but, those little senders usually don't last for long. If you want to know for sure, change out to a mechanical system.

MOP
05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
They are suppose to be jam packed full of grease thatis what keeps them working, dry they die a very quick death! Before you spend dollars do a little trouble shooting, grap the Merc manual and do the OHM's check on the sender and the wiring coming from the dash it can all be checked back at the engine compartment but you need the book!! The book may run you a few bucks but is far cheaper then "Easter Egging"

Phil