PDA

View Full Version : IMCO shortie tested- big problems!!! Need a different prop?

zimm17
05-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Okay you imco shortie owners- what's the hot setup? I just tested mine out and so far I'm hugely dissapointed. I can't get on plane unless I have the tabs all the way down, drive tucked in, hold it at 3000rpm for around 10 seconds, then baby the tabs back up until it'll hold 30mph, then it's on plane. Anything under 30mph, and I come off plane. Feels like the prop is cavitating to death.

At first I thought my new throttle wasn't fully engaging the shifter cones I'm slipping so bad. I'm running much worse than with the stock bravo- at least 500rpms higher per cruise speed. I used to cruise 35mph at 2800rpm- now it needs 3300. Top speed is down too- max today was 66mph at 5000rpm (I was 71.4 on gps). If I trim the drive up too far, I get a big rooster tail and fall off plane. What the heck is going on? Is my 3 blade turbo prop killing me? Do I need a hydro Q-IV? I need to get this fixed before the AOTH event.

HELP :garfield:

Pismo
05-12-2007, 05:37 PM
How short? The prop is killing you.

zimm17
05-12-2007, 05:46 PM
-2"

What pitch prop for a 454 magnum with exhaust? I need to next day air a hydro prop. I'll get another one when I get the blower on someday...

boldts
05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Just a suggestion for you sir. Give Chris Booe a call at Turbo Props. Chris will be at AOTH Thurs. and Fri. They have 4 bladers that will work and I believe a 5 blade prop that some may have tried already also. If you let Chris know the issues and what your running know, I know he can help you with a prop at AOTH. That is a special set-up though and he'll need to know your info. so he can have a couple props on the truck for you to try at Cumberland.

Looking forward to meeting you. Have a safe trip from VA Beach!

Jamesbon
05-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Did you bolt on the stainless extended cavitation plate included with the "shortie?"

I've experienced the same problem first hand....

Cuda
05-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I know Catch will only run four blades on his shorty. He said three blades suck on it. Maybe he'll chime in (or should I say Gina, since she'll be doing the typing :) )

roadtrip se
05-12-2007, 10:15 PM
I have an arsenal of three, four, and even a five blade that I use with my shortie depending on the conditions and what I am looking to do that day. If you firewall the throttle, you can sit there and spin the prop all day long and go no where, no how, no matter how many blades on it.

Tabs down? No.

I tend to roll my boat up on plane, kind of like a cat, but it really has become second nature, even when I am rusty like I was today. Easy touch or start the cuisinart routine.

If you ran a 23 Mirage with the 454Mag with the stock leg, I would start with a Precison 25 TXP three blade and go up from there. As for the Hydro Q4, I would try a 24. Both are great props. I will tell you that my shortie likes props with lots of diameter, 15 inch or bigger, but this could be the 500EFI talking.

If you still are trying to spin the small, stock stuff that came with your package, you are not going to be happy. The 25 Mirage that I had with my 502 setup was crap with the new set up.

Get her here and become close friends with Chris Booe.

zimm17
05-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Yup, cav plate is installed. Catch 22 called me as usual when I do something dumb... Looks like a next-day-air hydromotive 23p righty prop on Monday. I'll have to redo it all when the blower goes in, but I'm really thinking that should be a winter project. I'll just have to suck it up and not mind losing a few races until then :)

zimm17
05-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I have an arsenal of three, four, and even a five blade that I use with my shortie depending on the conditions and what I am looking to do that day. If you firewall the throttle, you can sit there and spin the prop all day long and go no where, no how, no matter how many blades on it.
Tabs down? No.
I tend to roll my boat up on plane, kind of like a cat, but it really has become second nature, even when I am rusty like I was today. Easy touch or start the cuisinart routine.
If you ran a 23 Mirage with the 454Mag with the stock leg, I would start with a Precison 25 TXP three blade and go up from there. As for the Hydro Q4, I would try a 24. Both are great props. I will tell you that my shortie likes props with lots of diameter, 15 inch or bigger, but this could be the 500EFI talking.
If you still are trying to spin the small, stock stuff that came with your package, you are not going to be happy. The 25 Mirage that I had with my 502 setup was crap with the new set up.
Get her here and become close friends with Chris Booe.

You just posted as I was typing. NO, I ran a 25p Bravo 1 and a turbo 1 with great results with the stock drive. Now I'm 500rpm over what I used to run, and lost 5mph. Catch 22 ran a 23p hydro QIV with good results with his 454 and shortie. That's what I'm going to go with for now unless someone else chimes in with a proven combo.

roadtrip se
05-12-2007, 10:52 PM
If this is what you were running today, no wonder. The stern lift that a Bravo One provides IS NOT what you need with the need to lift the nose that a shortie introduces to the handling on a 22.

Been there, done that. By the way, I have been running a shortie since the summer of 2002, I've tried a bunch of props, and I DID recomend the same prop that Catch did, one inch up in pitch.

You can thank me later.

zimm17
05-12-2007, 11:24 PM
If this is what you were running today, no wonder. The stern lift that a Bravo One provides IS NOT what you need with the need to lift the nose that a shortie introduces to the handling on a 22.
Been there, done that. By the way, I have been running a shortie since the summer of 2002, I've tried a bunch of props, and I DID recomend the same prop that Catch did, one inch up in pitch.
You can thank me later.

Ok, maybe it's all the beer I just had, but what pitch QIV are you recommending? I'm going to order the thing Monday morning. 23 or 24? And don't pick the wrong one so I'm slower at the AOTH gathering. :tongue:

Cuda
05-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Catch will steer you right. I don't know if you ever met him, but he's a straight shooter when it comes to boats, otherwise, he's a practical joker, just like Catch Sr is. :)

Cuda
05-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Btw, Gina must not have been around to type. :tongue:

MOP
05-13-2007, 07:45 AM
As usual the Poddle is spot on, playing with props gets expensive. My opinion you will need a little taller pitch then before, do some testing before you plunk down the bucks for the perfect wheel.

BigGrizzly
05-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Actually, I am the one that has the experience with the shorties. Catch used my 30 TXP 3 blade and it was the same top speed as his labbed Hydro, but he did not like the handling. He loved my 29 Fusion, but his Labbed Hydro was faster. He hated The BravoI 32 and it was slow but Rpms were OK. We will be at Cumberland with Turbo. Zim, you won't get wet either:). Save your money like Scott says. All companies have a return policy. Sit tight. Turbo leaves for home on Saturday. As usual Thursday and Friday is prop testing days. When the super is installed We can help then. Turbo won't haqve any 5 blades there as they are all out being tested now and I don't think you can turn one. Trip, Catch,Gina, or I'll show you how to deal with it. A 23 will be be too small. you need 2 more inches more than stock lower unit.

Cuda
05-13-2007, 10:39 AM
be too small. you need 2 more inches more than stock lower unit.
That's what Debbie keeps telling me. :(

BigGrizzly
05-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I am not going to comment on that in the least. My suggestion is get rich quick!!!!

Sam
05-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Your cracking me up Cuda :yes: .

Cuda
05-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I am not going to comment on that in the least. My suggestion is get rich quick!!!!
I'm more likely to gain two inches on my lower unit, than I am to get rich. :(

Ranman
05-14-2007, 12:37 PM
FYI,

I will be bringing a 24P Hydromotive Intimidator Quad IV to the AOTH as a spare. If anyone is interested, just hunt me down...