PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cracks

jodynich
05-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi, today I'm getting the Minx ready for the water but I have noticed some troubling cracks in the interior. I have attached pictures for detail on what I mean. Two are on the foot rest and one is on the ski hatch. Is there anything I can do to repair these? Do I need to be worried?

Thanks Everyone.

Donzigo
05-12-2007, 01:36 PM
I think many have the same cracks as your boat. To repair and solve the problem, reinforce from the backside with fiberglass, then re-gelcote the front side.

techspecial
05-12-2007, 04:08 PM
With mine it was a delamination...
I drilled holes and injected resin in the holes.
It gets between the glass and the wood.
Temporarily screwed through the whole thing to hold
everything together while it dried. I never regelled
because I'm still seeing how this quick-fix holds up.
Mine was MUCH worse!!! So far so good.
I have a carpet that covers everything up.

Cuda
05-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Do a search on gcarter and cracks. His thread shows exactly what he did. I had some similar cracks in my 22 that were fixed last year. I have a thread on that too.

gcarter
05-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Do a search on gcarter and cracks. His thread shows exactly what he did. I had some similar cracks in my 22 that were fixed last year. I have a thread on that too.
Yep;
To fix it, you have to pull the deck and reinforce the bottom. It's very simple to do and it's amazing how much stiffer it gets.
Look at;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703

Read through the thread, and while you have the deck off, go ahead and change the tank.

jallen355
05-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Yep;
To fix it, you have to pull the deck and reinforce the bottom. It's very simple to do and it's amazing how much stiffer it gets.
Look at;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703
Read through the thread, and while you have the deck off, go ahead and change the tank.

Holy smoke Batman! :eek: I'm new here and in the market for a 16-22 and your scaring the beejesus out of me. Am I missing something very basic about pulling the deck and it being very easy or is that just a very subjective comment??? Hey, my dad's a "tv repairman and he's got an AWESOME set of tools"...lol!

Oaky, at the very least, I will be pulling any carpet out of a perspective purchase in search of cracks like these.

jodynich
05-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow. Thats a scary amount of work. I think I will go this season and hope the cracks don't significantly increase and then take it to a repair shop next year and split the bill with my father. I would do it on my own but 1) I'm finishing up school 200+ miles away and 2) I dont know if we have the necessary requirements for doing the fix

Cuda
05-13-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm sure it will be okay for a year. They are more cosmetic than structual. If you have carpet, they will be fine. But as George said, if you have to pull the deck, bite the bullet and change the tank.