PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Dash panel engraving help

Budmann
05-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know where I could send a carbon fiber dash panel to have "DONZI" either engraved or painted on?

Bud

RedDog
05-11-2007, 10:31 AM
maybe these folks - http://dragonplate.com/

how about a picture of or link to what you have?

gcarter
05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
The local sign company did this;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26633&d=1168912887

mrfixxall
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know where I could send a carbon fiber dash panel to have "DONZI" either engraved or painted on?
Bud

I wouldnt have it ingraved because you will see little fiber haird sticking out of it,you can go to your local sign store and have them scan the donzi logol and peel the donzi name out and use the piece of vinal as a temp plate and have some one blast it with baking soda,,If you have a compressor you can do it yourself with a syphin blow gun..

CHACHI
05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Try an engraving shop that engraves plastic signs/name plates etc. They use small cnc engraving machines and it may be possible he can gat a chip of the Donzi logo. Don't engrave the panel too deep, maybe .010 max, unless the shop has some steep angle cutters. The deeper you engrave the wider the width of the "face" of the line and it distorts the artwork.
Two things I would concern myself with are, is the panel a uniform thickness and how smooth is the surface?

Ken

WingWing
05-11-2007, 12:09 PM
here is some dash stuff. check out the orange and white boat. not carbon fiber but looks good

http://www.donzi.net/forums/search.php?searchid=245185

Tom Davis
05-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Personally I would go with a corbon fiber patterned vinyl lettering in a slightly contrasting color to the dash, then clear over the whole thing.

If you engrave carbon fiber its just like glass, you have to re-seal it because when you break the skin during the engraving process it will then become hydrophilic (absorbs water).

The other option is to engrave the carbon fiber then fill the engraving with an epoxy paint (matching the paint scheme of the boat), then clear over the whole thing.

Just my .02

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Tom Davis
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
You could go with a carbon fiber patterned vinyl lettering in a slightly contrasting color to the dash, then clear over the whole thing.

If you engrave carbon fiber its just like glass, you have to re-seal it because when you break the skin during the engraving process it will then become hydrophilic (absorbs water).

Personally I would engrave the carbon fiber then fill the engraving with an epoxy paint (matching the paint scheme of the boat), then clear over the whole thing.

Just my .02

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Budmann
05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your replys!!! It is such a big help to have this forum to get feed back from experts!!
I really like G Carter's dash. It came out great George!!! I think i have the info to get a good start on this project!!

Will post the final product in a couple of months1 Need to have it done by Sarasota!!

Bud