PDA

View Full Version : Boat Taking On Water - Questions

Carl C
05-10-2007, 11:16 AM
After many months and return trips my boat is still not fixed. My main problem is that I am taking on water. I ran it on the hose up to temp for 15 minutes; not a drop. I put it in the water minus engine hatch and there is a steady trickle of water at the center base of the transom assembly. Visual inspection indicates that both bellows are new and properly attached. I figure it has to be a partially dislodged bellows as MOP suggested or a crack in the transom plate. Is the drive easy to remove to inspect the bellows and will this problem be obvious or should I just take it back to the shop again. Thanks.

handfulz28
05-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Is it possible you could have something like this?

Carl C
05-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Is it possible you could have something like this?I saw that pic on sub-bass's thread. No, I felt that area and it seems ok. Also this is a 2005 22C with 100 hours. Everything is still pretty much new but the engine was pulled and drive rebuilt to fix damage caused by a rear-end collision while towing. There is a possible crack in the transom assy but I'd like to not take it back to the shop if it's something fairly simple.

BUIZILLA
05-10-2007, 11:45 AM
if it's any damage from the accident, the insurance should cover it under ADDENDUM damage.... you need to get the adjuster involved again, unfortunately...

:cool!:

mrfixxall
05-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Carl,put the plug in the back of the boat and get the toungue of the boat as high as possible and fill the bilage with water..look at the transm housing to see where the leak is..

handfulz28
05-10-2007, 12:03 PM
damage caused by a rear-end collision while towing.
Sorry, didn't know that. I hear ya' on not wanting to take it to the shop, but from what everybody told me about my transom work, it's not a simple DIY. Best of luck.

MOP
05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok Carl Now $25 says the "Brand Spanking New" bellows is dislodged where the ring holds it in place in the gimble, the only way to find out is to pull the drive!!! We have been ther done that in the yard!

Phil

Rootsy
05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Carl,put the plug in the back of the boat and get the toungue of the boat as high as possible and fill the bilage with water..look at the transm housing to see where the leak is..

[sarcasm on]yeah.... cause I always make it a habit of submerging my starter and alternator in order to check leaks from the inside out [sarcasm off]...

Carl,

did they remove the transom assembly while doing repairs?

MOP
05-10-2007, 01:53 PM
:cistineb:

penbroke
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
:eek!:

Frank

Carl C
05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Mrfixxall, I appreciate all input but I was thinking the same as Rootsy, that no matter how high I can get the bow I'm gonna be soaking a lot of electronics to put in enough water to cover the transom assy. I think the transom assy was removed. The motor was removed and bell housing replaced and the gimbal ring is new. There is a small indentation where the gimbal ring was jammed into the transom assy and it could be cracked. Mop is probably right though since he's "been there, done that". Right now I'm leaning toward it going back to the shop, as much as that hurts.

mrfixxall
05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
[sarcasm on]yeah.... cause I always make it a habit of submerging my starter and alternator in order to check leaks from the inside out [sarcasm off]...

Carl,

did they remove the transom assembly while doing repairs?

oops sorry i forgot, most people here on the board cant get their tongue high enough with out a forklift to keep the water from touching the starter....

Anyways its always worked for me and found many leaks that way with out the water touching the starter or the alternator....

penbroke
05-10-2007, 02:43 PM
If it got jammed that hard it could be that the upper pivot seal has been damaged or the pin un-seated or mis-alligned. Bummer... I hope Phil is right.

Frank

mrfixxall
05-10-2007, 08:05 PM
:wink:
mmmm, powertools..... :yes: :y
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23168&d=1155770141

:wink: what would we do with out them:D and if we didnt have them we wouldnt have $$$$$$$ to play...

BUIZILLA
05-10-2007, 09:30 PM
don't let him fool ya......

.he's really changing the oil....

:lookaroun:

gero1
05-10-2007, 09:48 PM
why did they change the bell houseing???was it hit that hard. did they put a new y pipe in???

Carl C
05-11-2007, 05:58 AM
why did they change the bell houseing???was it hit that hard. did they put a new y pipe in??? Yeah, he hit it pretty good. I didn't feel a huge impact in the truck but between the drive damage, the bent trailer coupler and the boat moving forward 6-8 inches it absorbed the impact. They said the bell housing was "shattered". But I also caught them billing out a lot of parts that they reused to lead me to believe they were replaced and indications are that the insurance people collaborated on that. Looking at the invoice it shows that the transom plate was R&Rd. I think the leak could be a dislodged bellows, a cracked transom plate or a poorly sealed transom plate. Even if I raise the bow high there are pumps and stuff at the back that maybe shouldn't be submerged. I've already talked to the insurance people and e-mailed Gary at K&M Marine. I think it should just go back. I am new to sterndrives and have never removed one. I'm just learning the terminology.

Rootsy
05-11-2007, 06:31 AM
bravo is easier to remove than an alpha... a sinch. but if it is due to faulty workmanship on K&M's part.. don't touch it...

my guess is the seal around the gimble housing has a leak... you are supposed to use a new one when you remove and replace the transom assy from the hull as they are a type of foam rubber and compress when installed.

Or ya never know, when replacing bellows i've witnessed people using a screwdriver to get them pushed onto the flange... one might have a little hole in it...

do you have silent choice or just straight thru hull exhaust?

or about a dozen other things it could be...

Carl C
05-11-2007, 06:46 AM
do you have silent choice or just straight thru hull exhaust?
Silent choice. Gero1, the y-pipe was not replaced. Could a cracked y-pipe let water in the boat? Nothing leaked running on the hose. With so many possibilities I think it will have to go back. Mop, I'll pass on your $25 bet!

Sweet little 16
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Carl,
maybe they can send a tech with everything needed so you can water test it with the tech or maybe if you bring it to them they can bring it back and have the tech test it with you that is the only way you're gonna know everything is right

LKSD
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
A cracked y pipe could let water in, however you would have also had it come in running it on the hose.. I would say u joint bellows, or transom seal, or the seal for the trim line distribution block.. :yes: Also a bad shift cable bellow or unseated shift cable bellow could do it too.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

gero1
05-11-2007, 08:24 PM
if it shattered the bell houseing and there is only about 1 inch or less between it and the y pipe i would think it would be cracked? mine hardly leaked in the boat on the hose but when it was in the water was a different story. are the reguler 22's set up different than a blach hawk?

Carl C
05-11-2007, 09:22 PM
if it shattered the bell houseing and there is only about 1 inch or less between it and the y pipe i would think it would be cracked? mine hardly leaked in the boat on the hose but when it was in the water was a different story. are the reguler 22's set up different than a blach hawk? I'll look into that but I can see a trickle of water on the transom where MOP told me to look. I got stuck climbing in there head first and almost couldn't get out twice. They should have water tested it after all that work.

smoothie
05-12-2007, 09:43 AM
If I remember right you took a pretty good hit...maybe the transom itself is deformed now and the transom plate gasket doesnt seal anymore...just a thought!