PDA

View Full Version : Black Widow 24

z22owner
12-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Anyone have any experience with this model of Donzi, good or bad. I have an interest in it. I am curious about the 500 HP the owner put in it. Too much HP? Is the price right?
Any feedback would be great.
Black Widow 24 (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/8/62299838.htm)

Donzigo
12-29-2003, 09:30 AM
This is one of the few boats designed and built by the OMC Corp, who took over Donzi in 1988-89, then moved the Chris Craft operations to the then Donzi-Televast plant to build the remaining few Donzi's before they sent the Donzi molds to Goshen, Ind. I know, because my 1989 Z-33 was one of the last Donzis out the door. (It was a former Dick Genth design, with two 454 Mercrusiers & bravo drive, put in by the OMC Corporation, in a Donzi plant, using a Chris Craft labor force....??). OMC didn't build many more Z-boats, mostly Donzi-Classics. In my opinion, OMC cheapened some bulding techniques on the remaining Z-boats, during this time, for instance using much more plywood and less stainless, & less Perko parts, which were a mainstay of the Z-boat line from 1986 to 1988. So, it's kinda your call as to whether this boat measures up to your standards, or what you will accept. I didn't find the boat objectionable, except for the "funky" front with the raised top. I don't think it has been done in any other boats I've ever seen. So, it was just an experiment that didn't become a mainline design for boats. Also, having owned a 1987 Z-25 and now a 1989 Z-33, I've paid attention to these Z-boats. It seemed that the dashboard arrangement was not planned well in the Black Widow design group. Some things seemed just put together without good reason. Of course, I'm just rambling and thinking out loud; but, it's an opinion, nonetheless. I did look at the boat on your link. It looks to be in good shape, from the pictures. Finally, I would be careful to check the stringers in any Z-boat. I know this to be a potential problem.

Does it have an OMC Cobra or King Cobra drive. they say that the King Cobra is the more desirable of the two. I don't know why.

Hope it helps,

Richard

oldLenny
12-29-2003, 10:59 AM
"Henry" would like this boat. Two portholes per side to poke his head out of... :D

z22owner
12-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Lenny,

Have more info. Its running a brand new 500 HP with a rebuilt OMC King Cobra drive. Owner told me he had some drive internals built up to handle the HP. I am waiting some additional pics. The boat just went through a 16k revitalization and the owner just boat a new Donzi.

Z22owner

z22owner
12-29-2003, 01:11 PM
Lenny? Who the hell is Lenny?

Donzigo, that was addressed to you. I appreciate your input. I will keep you in the loop on this boat.

Thanks

Kevin

Cuda
12-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Donzigo:
I didn't find the boat objectionable, except for the "funky" front with the raised top. I don't think it has been done in any other boats I've ever seen. That's one of the things I like best about them. It doesn't look like any other boat. I like the round hatch too.

Donzigo
12-30-2003, 07:27 AM
22ZR - Good luck with it. It sounds like a great buy.

Joe(CUDA), RE: "funky & round hatches- you like) you're just looking for a reason to buy another boat. You must have found more room in your boat yard for a Black Widow.........:-).

FISHIN SUCKS
01-06-2004, 11:28 AM
z22owner:
Anyone have any experience with this model of Donzi, good or bad. I have an interest in it. I am curious about the 500 HP the owner put in it. Too much HP? Is the price right?
Any feedback would be great.
Black Widow 24 (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/8/62299838.htm)

FISHIN SUCKS
01-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Funky looking bubble or not, I like it! Most everyone at the sand bar seems to like it as well, Baja people seem not too hip as to what it is ('must be italian or somethin'). I have had mine for two years with few problems. My 454 King Cobra is running around the 475hp range, after modifications. I've been told that the King Cobra is not a very fast unit, but has all the heavy components. Looks like a sharp boat, price may be a bit high, hard to tell without more pix. I have seen them as high as 27k, and as low as 12k (the 12k was a real turd!). Good luck!