PDA

View Full Version : Leaks

DonziJon
05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I've noticed a number of posts lately concerning leaks....in the transom area. Hard to find sometimes.

When I first got my MINX I made a launch.. without putting the plug in. I was lucky and discovered the problem before I left the launch ramp area and hauled out before the water got too deep in the engine room. By the way;; there is NO WAY to put the plug IN when the boat is afloat... without going swimming. When I screwed up, the season was earlly and the water was quite cold.

SO: Being a guy who really likes Math..once I got home and rinsed off the stuff that got wet, and got back to square one, ...I did some math and "figured": .......with the Minx: If the plug was NOT in at launch..And the bilge pump was NOT ON.. the boat would SINK in about 9 minutes..or maybe it was 12. I'm not sure as it was a few years ago..and I have been out of the Math business for a few years.

I know there are a couple of engineers on this board who can "do the math" and verify my findings....or Not:

Food for thought for those of you who FORGET to put the plug in before launch. :bonk: :bonk: John

gcarter
05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Launching is an interestin g subject. Virtually everyone I know leaves the plug out when recovering their boat....I don't know why. It certainly increases the oportunity of leaving it out when launching.
The only time I pulled the plug on the Minx was for a few seconds when recovering, and then I re-installed it. This habit almost completely eliminates any chance of launching w/o it.

On another subject, when I installed the through transom water pickup, I screwed on a bronze street ell followed by a metal (SST) ball valve. With this set up, if a cooling hose breaks, if you remember to shut off that valve, the boat won't sink.:wink: :wink: :wink:

RedDog
05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
... Virtually everyone I know leaves the plug out when recovering their boat....I don't know why. It certainly increases the oportunity of leaving it out when launching...

Some of us do not have inside storage so there always the potential of collecting rainwater - even when covered.

I forgot to pull the plug once and following a rainstorm I had a foot+ or so of water in it - fortunately that was an outboard

MOP
05-10-2007, 12:43 PM
My 16 and 22 are the worst for leaving the plug in, the engine hatch drains into the bilge. A fair amount of water from the cockpit cover and every drop that lands on the hatch can add up very quickly! One day while docked I watched my 750 Rule pump run almost continuously for nearly an hour that made me a real believer! I have since made up overboard hatch drains!

Phil

maddad
05-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd like to know why it took ten minutes to drain a boat that was only in the water for 3/4 minutes max?:confused:

Hotspare
05-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Be Professional, We're Pilots ........ Use a Checklist !!!!!!!!!!!! It can save your A$$ .............

yeller
05-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I have a jet drive on my 16 and the very 1st time I launched I forgot to install the jet's inspection cover. That's a 4" hole. :eek!: I backed in what I thought was far enough and couldn't get it off the trailer, so I backed in a littler further. Still couldn't get it off. "Damn!, this boat is ass heavy", I thought and backed it in a little further. It was at this point I noticed water coming out from under the rear seat cushion. (Mine isn't sealed from the engine compartment). I had a pos vehicle at the time and I barely and I mean BARELY was able to pull it out. Pulled the transom plug, turned on the pump and sat for a good hour till it drained. Next day I installed the bilge float switch. :bonk:

Cuda
05-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I can state for a fact that a Minx will not sink overnight when docked that the Hyatt for the Hometown Rally with leaking bellows. I was very, very close though. About one or two more inches, water would have been coming IN the bilge outlet, then it would have quickly gotten up the the exhaust tips.:eek!:

gcarter
05-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I can state for a fact that a Minx will not sink overnight when docked that the Hyatt for the Hometown Rally with leaking bellows. I was very, very close though. About one or two more inches, water would have been coming IN the bilge outlet, then it would have quickly gotten up the the exhaust tips.:eek!:
I remember that,
It was close!!!