PDA

View Full Version : Need an answer/help

CHACHI
05-09-2007, 12:11 PM
A friend of mine has a 1987 4 winns with an Alpha.
He has developed a leak in the lower. On the starboard side of the lower unit, just above the bullet and about 1 1/2 inches from the leading edge of the outdrive, he has a hole about 7/64 " in dia that started dripping oil. He has never really noticed this hole before and I never noticed on on my Minx's lower. I have looked at some Gen II Alphas and can't find a hole. Is this normal or is it just a porous casting that decided to leak 20 years later?
Any help would be appriciated.

Ken

mrfixxall
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
It sounds like he broke a tooth off the gear and spit the tooth out the side on the case..correction,,or its a wheep hole....the oil may be coming from either the little oring between the upper and lower,,or the seal under the water pump..

DonziJon
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Ken: I just checked my '86 Alpha and the hole is there. I stuck a vernier in the hole to measure it and it's .167 diameter. I think it's some kind of "weep" hole or something. Water drains out of it when the drive it tipped up, or when the engine is running on the hose (transom flush connect) on the trailer. Never noticed any oil coming out though. I suspect it's there to drain the last bit of water out of the case. John

Pismo
05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Time for a new lower. They are cheap, find a used one.

Morgan's Cloud
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Ken: I just checked my '86 Alpha and the hole is there. I stuck a vernier in the hole to measure it and it's .167 diameter. I think it's some kind of "weep" hole or something. Water drains out of it when the drive it tipped up, or when the engine is running on the hose (transom flush connect) on the trailer. Never noticed any oil coming out though. I suspect it's there to drain the last bit of water out of the case. John

From what I can remember of my old black thing I was going to say the same thing !:biggrin:

Some sort of freeze protection is my guess ....

MOP
05-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Seperate the lower from the mid section, have a hunch the Oring let go and oil is sneaking out into the water passage.

Phil

CHACHI
05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks, I will pass on the information.

Ken

LKSD
05-11-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm with Phil...

Ditto.. ;)