PDA

View Full Version : OMC to Volvo drive conversion

cutwater
05-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Looking back at old posts, there is a lot of discussion about switching from OMC to Merc outdrives. What about switching from an OMC King Cobra (with dog or cone clutch) to a Volvo SX or DPX? Any glass work involved? What other issues?

Thanks, John

BigGrizzly
05-09-2007, 11:48 AM
No glass work needed the switch is not a difficult job.

mrfixxall
05-09-2007, 11:48 AM
what year boat do you have ? if its newer their was a time that omc and volvo were the same copany..stick with what you have the onc is as strong as a vlovo if you take care on it...

cutwater
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
The boat I'm looking at is an '88. The drive has been taken care of by the owner, so that's not really the worry immediately. I seem to remember someone (MOP?) telling me that the OMC drives with cone clutch are bulletproof while the ones with the old dog clutch suffer from some issues. I think the boat I'm looking at has the old dog clutch, so I'm just thinking about what I'm going to do later down the road as parts get harder to find and the drive finally gives out.

Any thoughts?

MOP
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
The clutch dog Cobra is a bit stronger then an Alpha, its biggest plus is it runs a lot cooler due to the water passage routing. Me I would run it like you stole and keep an eye out for a spare, swapping a spare on it if needed will be a lot cheaper then a complete swap to another setup. Remember another setup requires everything from the bell housing back to the prop!

Phil