PDA

View Full Version : Where to put two more 2 5/8" gauges?

zimm17
05-09-2007, 08:08 AM
I ran out of room for gauges. I have a new dash panel from Nisonger marine coming in the mail for my livorsi monster gauges- 2, 5" gauges and 4, 2 5/8" gauges plus switches and breakers- it's pretty full. Tach, speedo, volt, fuel, oil press, and water temp. Now I'm going to be installing the whipple blower this summer and I have the required boost and fuel pressure gauges, but no where to put them.
One option that might look cheesy is to get the autometer carbon fiber gauge cups and mount two on the dash above the steering wheel.
Another option is remove the stereo and make a new plate for two gauges and a stereo remote- that's expensive and a pain the butt...
Since I rarely check volts and fuel level- what about mounting them somewhere else besides the dash? Would they look stupid on the side of the cockpit forward of the throttle?

Picture of current dash: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=402904&postcount=18

glashole
05-09-2007, 08:22 AM
what about on the right hand side of the steering wheel

I personnally don't like the look of the gauges on top of the dash

do you have a picture of the dash?

zimm17
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Right side is clobbered with GPS, tab switches, and I'm moving my 2" depth gauge to the bottom of it.

Picture at: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48823&highlight=stainless+marine

Maybe if I move the GPS to the top of the dash, I can squeeze them in above the trim tab switches...

CHACHI
05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I too am in the process of trying to configure a new dash layout. I have moved my tab switch to the top of the gunwale, on the non-skid. The location right above the handle for the throttle with the handle in the 9:00 o'clock position. I also have moved my 12v plug to behind the dash, mounted on a small bracket, real easy to get to. A benifit of this was no more plug sticking out ou the dash when the GPS is plugged in. There is now just a wire that dissappears behing the dash. My idiot light for the fire system I relocated to the left side of the gunwale next to my exhaust switch. Depth gauge I think will go to the left of the helm, say 11:00 o'clock, I have to check for clearance. I never realized the depth gauge was so deep. With all this moving I have cleared the right side of my dash for: relocatded switches, ignition switch and breaker. Also on this side. a Bennett tab gauge and trim gauge.
The left side will now have Monster tach, gps speedo, oil press and temp, water pressure and temp, volt, fuel.

Ken

RickSE
05-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I added one above and to the left of the steering wheel hub, just behind the wheel. It's in a position where I can see it pretty much all the time, just have to look through the wheel opening.

zimm17
05-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Well I'm holding the trim rings where I can mount my 2" depth gauge and 2, 2 5/8" gauges to the right of the wheel. Not the best vis there, but they'd be in the dash. Not sure which gauges to put where. Most important in order will be: fuel press, oil press, water temp, volts, and fuel- not even sure where the boost gauge fits in the priority- as long as it makes 7psi- then it doesn't really matter...

Johntrip
05-10-2007, 06:56 PM
That looks good..... Fuel & volt are the two that you'll look at the least.

I would rule out the cups..... upgrades look great.!!

catch 22
05-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Zimm, I ran into the same problem of running out of room. I saw these on an old V-Drive boat and thought if I could find some new ones that they would look pretty cool. Here are a few pics of where they are mounted. The 2 gauges on top are fuel pressure and boost. Got them from Livorsi.

Johntrip
05-10-2007, 08:22 PM
I changed my mind those cups looks sweet with that set-up!!!

Johntrip
05-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

I wanna classic !!!!

How can I convince her ????

RickSE
05-10-2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22773&d=1154734170

yeller
05-10-2007, 11:44 PM
I have an 04 with the rocker switches to right of the steering hub. The previous owner moved the switches, made a cover plate and added 4 gauges there. I find them too difficult to look at in that location. I bought a set of 'cups' like Catch22 has, but my wife flipped and won't let me use them. What I plan on doing now, when I find the time, is to make a gauge pod that will house 2~3 gauges in the corner of the windshield. Kinda like an automotive 'piller' pod.

Zimm, I just looked at your pics again. Your second pic of you holding the bezels up against the steering pod....you will not like that location. 2 (of my 4 extra gauges) are mounted there and those are the absolute worst. The wheel is always in the way. If you do mount them there, make sure it's the least important ones.

zimm17
05-11-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll skip mounting those two 2 5/8" gauges to the right of the column. Since I'm not adding the blower until later, I'll hold off on the boost and fuel pressure gauges until I have more time to think about it. I'm just waiting for my Nisonger marine dash panel to show up... only been on order since March... :frown:

RickR
05-11-2007, 06:15 AM
I installed the gauges I use the most behind the steering wheel.
Gauges not used often can be mounted in left kick panel.