PDA

View Full Version : Yellow 'glass in a sea of mahogany-Keels and Wheels 07

JimG
05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Many thanks to Craig Stansfield, and everyone else who helped me this year at Keels and Wheels! It was a fantastic show, with lots of great cars and beautiful boats. I even got to see Carroll Shelby and Stirling Moss!

My old Donzi was quite a hit! Lots of folks came down to see it, ask questions about it and tell stories. Even the wood boat guys loved it…

JimG

Tony
05-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't care how hot it gets...your boat is my all-time favorite color combination!

:beer:

Craig S
05-07-2007, 10:44 PM
An awesome boat!!!

...how about that "period correct" Maharajah slalom ski, also.

Glad ya'll had a good time. That Donzi of yours was certainly the most original classic glass there. You've got an extremely sharp original boat in outstanding colors.

and the other pic? My mug with Shelby. Just why did I sell that '68!

superhatz
05-08-2007, 01:32 AM
A nice correct looking 18.......:wink:

I dream of a day when I can bring my Magnum to a wood boat show and have them actually appreciate it.

sweet 16 1966
05-08-2007, 05:33 AM
Many of the Donzi's are period correct. Yea, need a dock.
Watch out Sunnyland.

gcarter
05-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Folks;
Take a look at picture #3......if I'm not mistaken, a Trumpy and a 40' Huckins.:eek!: :eek!:
If you think a wood runabout is hard to maintain........can you say crewed and professionally maintained???:yes: :yes:

JimG
05-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks guys! I was pleasantly surprised with all of the attention the Donzi got, surrounded by all those GORGEOUS wood boats. (Craig's Century is to die for, BTW. Won TWO awards and many accolades, too!)

My dock was just downhill from the Ferraris, and those guys just loved my boat. I guess they could identify with it...:wink:

I don't know the Trumpy, but that Huckins is Steve Heflin's "Skillagilee". It's just gorgeous, and is crewed and maintained (and fished!) by Steve and his wife. It's a real labor of love!

Superhatz, try it! You will be amazed at the warm reception by the wood boat guys. All of the entrants at Keels and Wheels were great folks!

Thanks for compliments on our boat. She's been a hoot to own, runs great, and always turns heads. The black interior looks great, but you do have to keep towels on hand when it's sunny or you fry your butt!

JimG

Team Jefe
05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Looks like a great time was had by all. Sorry we missed it, but I could not pass up the chance to comnpletely redo the interior of the new house complete with hydroblasting the entire outside.....boy, you talk about FUN:bonk:

Craig S
05-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Yea, we've had this show for 12 years, and some of the wooden boat (Chris Craft?) guys I guess, brought their glass boats. So the only glass boats floating in the harbor were early XK-19s (both V-Drive and transdrive) and XK-22s (and every once in a while an early Resorter). They are really nice examples of unique glass runabouts - and they have gorgeous lines - but they're boats that the public isn't that familiar with.

It was great to have an early Donzi represented. Its a boat everybody respects for the design, the influence, and the performance. And, seriously, the 16/18 is a boat that Everybody loves! The only other boat I can think of like that is a Bertram 31.

And the color didn't hurt!

Sam
05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Love the steering wheel :wink: .

CHACHI
05-09-2007, 08:45 AM
I was pleasantly My dock was just downhill from the Ferraris, and those guys just loved my boat. I guess they could identify with it...:wink:

JimGThis photo was taken in Modena Italy, just down the road from the Ferrari factory in Marenello.

Ken

smoothie
05-09-2007, 09:34 AM
The Maha is the cherry on top...and is a sixties vintage with no rubber tip and a cast fin. nice!

An awesome boat!!!

...how about that "period correct" Maharajah slalom ski, also.

Glad ya'll had a good time. That Donzi of yours was certainly the most original classic glass there. You've got an extremely sharp original boat in outstanding colors.

and the other pic? My mug with Shelby. Just why did I sell that '68!

JimG
05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Smoothie! I bought that Maha ski when I was 14 years old, it was built in 1970. I've had it ever since. I've skied about a jillion miles (and smiles!) on that old dude!