PDA

View Full Version : 18 Classic 40 Gal Fuel Tank - How Deep?

Ranman
05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Anyone know off hand how deep the standard 40 Gal fuel tank is that comes in the 18's? I'm looking for the dimension from the bottom of the "vee" to the top of the tank measured at the fuel sender hole.

BERTRAM BOY
05-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Randy,
I'm sure Roosty has the dimension's that you are looking for.

3rdDonzi
05-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know what year the 18' classic went from the 25 to forty gallon tank?

Rootsy
05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Randy,
I'm sure Roosty has the dimension's that you are looking for.

I could probably get him in the ballpark maybe... WWMD

Ranman
05-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I pulled my sender and measured myself. Not an easy thing to do with a totally full fuel tank. You need to get the bubble in just the right spot. :eek!: :eek!:

I came up with just a CH over 10".

I used this to order a new sender from Livorsi. For $9 they will cut and calibrate the unit, which is why I needed the dimension. I had it cut to 9 1/2" for my tank.

http://www.livorsi.com/images/index/GSFL.jpg

No moving parts, nothing to break or wear out
Prevents pointer bounce
Can be cut and calibrated in the field
Available in 12 or 24 volts
Detect water in fuel
Other ohm resistances available
Requires 12 volts
Standard SAE 5 bolt pattern

WATER AND FUEL SENDER

These senders provide an accurate, continuous readout of fuel or water levels even in a moving boat. Consisting of a single in-tank probe and an amplifier, it’s innovative technology renders the traditional float arm assembly obsolete.

The probe itself is constructed of concentric tubing (a small brass or aluminum tube inside a larger aluminum tube) that’s placed vertically in the tank. Acting as a capacitor, the inner tube reads how much air is in the tube and changes in value as the fuel level rises or falls. As the fuel level is determined by only the amount of fuel inside the tube, the fuel level reading is unaffected by the boats side to side motion or
forward movement.

The amplifier and probe is easily installed in the standard float arm assembly mounting plate. The biggest advantage to this new line of senders is the absence of moving parts. As it has no moving parts, the unit is impervious to mechanical failure and it greatly reduces needle bounce on the gauge.

The probe comes in 12 inch increments and can be cut into any length down to the next lower
increment. The probe can be built to fit tanks from 4” to 120” deep and is available for standard as well as
custom tank installations, requiring 12 volts to sender.

txtaz
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Randy, George Carter has a pdf layout of the 18's tank. I had it somewhere but cannot find it.

BTW, those are good pickups.
Wes

gcarter
05-10-2007, 08:37 PM
I tried several times to repost the PDF image of the tank, but couldn't get the properties off the originally posted PDF.
So, here's a link to the original thread;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35909&highlight=afp