PDA

View Full Version : First run: what did we learn?

zelatore
05-05-2007, 11:04 PM
We learned that if you stick the nose, you can crack the windshield.

Finally got the chance to get the new 22 in the water. Never mind that the winds were blowing about 30 mph - I had a new toy and by God, I was going to play with it!

While most of the rivers and sloughs were reasonable, the main river was nasty. Since this was my first time in the boat, I didn't want to just stand on it and fly it over the wave tops. Maybe I should have - while poking along about 25 mph, I stuck the nose into the back side of a pretty good size wave and proceeded to take a bath. Other than being cold and wet, no problems. I thought.

When I made it to calmer water a few more miles up river, I found a crack growing accross the windshield. Well, that sucks but at least it's fixable.

I did get a chance to run the boat out in decent water - Up to about 55-60 it was pretty tame. The last 10 mph or so was where the fun started. I did see just over 71 on th GPS at around 5000 rpm, but I was only there for a few seconds before it started getting really squirely and I backed it down. That was with just me and a full tank of fuel. I later got 69.5 with nearly full fuel and 2 people on board. Again, it started chine walking hard enough to make me back off and trim it down in a hurry.

I think there's a few more mph in there once I learn to keep it straight instead of wobbling back and forth - that's not my idea of fun!

I also confirmed that my first real addition is going to be a set of trim and drive indicators. Anybody got a suggestion on brands/where to shop? I'm going to try to order something up in the next couple days.

I also think I need to find a set of flip-up wind deflectors that clamp on the top of the windshield - again, if anybody has a suggestion where to find them I'd appreciate it. I thought it was OK without, but my buddy was sulking down as low in the seat as he could manage to get out of the wind blast and I know the girlfriend will want them.

So other than the busted windshield :mad: (where do I find one of those?!?), a successfull first outing.

Don

Johntrip
05-06-2007, 03:28 AM
Stainless Marine has trim/drive combo indicators. Zimm17 just installed pop-ups on his boat and posted pictures the other day.... check w/Zimm. Madpoodle can get them for u. Take the glass out (if you can) and have someone cut a new one. Wind deflectors..... no idea...!! Good luck!!

Carl C
05-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Someone mentioned in your previous thread that all 22Cs seem to be a little different and maybe that's true because I had none of your issues. Maybe you had too much positive drive trim? You should have a trim indicator and I was able to get used to no tab ind. I don't use them much. You would've stuffed it worse with the tabs down. There are threads here on cool tab ind. installs though. You could do a search. Some of us use "windaways" which I highly recommend. I store them in pillow cases. www.windaway.com Another thing I did was, with the boat on the trailer, lower the drive to level with the bottom of the hull, turn on the key and mark that position on your gauge for a reference point. Good luck. These aren't Bayliners that anyone can drive. They are driver's boats and that's what I like about them!

Carl C
05-06-2007, 06:04 AM
What prop is on it?? Scott, zelatore has stated previously that he has a 25p Mirage plus, the same as on my boat. Zelatore, I went back to look at your boat pics http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=409780&postcount=1 and it looks like you may not have a trim indicator. It also looks like your tab rockers have been moved to accommodate the gps screen, unless that's the stock location for '01. If you have a big square hole under the gps then they were moved for sure. I'm not the resident driving expert but I do have a very similar boat to yours. Feel free to send a pm or call at 248-330-0048.

undertaker
05-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Props make a BIG difference on how these boats handle.....if you want to purchase something next week maybe you should look at trying some different props Poodle can steer you in the right direction send him a PM or email he is a wealth of knowledge on these boats.

Tab indicators can get pricey if ya go with the pop up indicators or mechanical indicators...props might be less costly until you get some seat time and feel for the boat.....glad to hear she ran great your first time out.:) :)

Undertaker:cool:

undertaker
05-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Looks like the compass was put in the spot your drive trim gauge use to be in IMO I would remove the compass and put back in the drive trim gauge then do as Carl C. said and index your drive so you know where neutral trim is and anything above that mark is positive trim.....should cost you less than mechanical drive & trim indicators....:yes: :yes: than get a prop:) :)

BigGrizzly
05-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I have had a lot of experience with that hull and props in particular, since I did prop testing for Honda Marine and several of us had Donzis too. Since we had several different brands and types of props. We had an advantage of props at our disposal. It was a good excuse to go boating-Testing- on weekends I am a dealer for Precision(Turbo) propellers, Solas and some other also. We here on the lake found the same problem with the M plus That Zelator did. I am not trying to bad mouth that prop. On some applications it is a good prop. Just not on that one. Labbing doesn't count, Any good prop shop can remake a prop. I have seen several labbed mirages and not one looks like the original, even the ones from merc. On my Criterion I have had no less then 15 different props on it, plus the ones I tested for Power tech Hydro and Solas. We won't even get into the ones we put on Tom's 22 Classic "Tomahawk". I think he had a prop for every kind of water and condition. Zelator don't feel bad about stuffing the bow . it happens to all of us. Just be thankful it didn't happen at 60, been there and don that. More trim and less speed or the other way depending on conditions.

Cuda
05-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Too bad about the windsheild. A Donzi dealer should be able to order one for you, though I doubt they are cheap. Maybe someone that works at Donzi can tell you who they buy them from. I doubt Donzi is building their own. The windshield on our 22 doesn't do anything except channel the wind right into your face, I was thinking of wind deflectors myself. I believe you can get them from www.trickmarine.net. The windshield on the Minx worked much, much better. I guess that little flip up at the top made a big difference.

As for squirrely, maybe a little more seat time playing with the trim will help, if not, try a different prop. A lot of people seem to like the Hydro Q4.

MOP
05-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Any good glass shop can get you new plexi they may have to order the correct color, I worked with plexi in the service, when you get the new one carefully sand the edges very smooth. Any burrs can lead to cracking down the road!

Phil

zelatore
05-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the input.

I thought it was a bit wierd that the boat didn't have at least a drive indicator - I suspect you're right that somebody removed it and put the little compass in the dash. I think I'll pitch the compass and put a OEM style indicator back in there. That little compass is next to useless anyway, and add to that that I don't expect to take this boat out into open waters and I have a chartplotter/GPS on board (plus hand-helds to back it up if need be) and it's outa here.

There's no hole under the GPS, it's mounted on the horizontal part of the dash tucked into the corner of the windshield. I thought I might move the tab controls lower on the dash and put an indicator where they were so it would be easier to see.

I did see the thread about the pop-up indicators, but although they are probably very functional they didn't seem to my taste. I think I'll stick with in-dash stuff.

I also think I'll fab a small stainless support to go behind the center of the windshield frame to add a little strength. I noticed that every time you head onto the bow it's natural to put some weight on that frame so it could use a little support.

The big ticket is proping. CarlC's right, it's a Mirage 25. I'm not going to run out and start buying props to try just yet as I suspect at least part of it is the nut behind the wheel. The oscillations never got bad enough that I thought I was going to be ejected or anything, but they were building and I didn't want to find out how fast it went from uncomfortable to dangerous. It didn't feel like it would take long at all!

The RPM seemed about right - 5000-ish, and the speed sounded about right based on what I've read about other similar installs on the board. So the prop isn't way off. When I was going for top end, I was trying to trim it out pretty light, so maybe I just need to balance the tab/drive trim combo to keep it steady. After a little more seat time if I find I still get it moving around then I'll start looking for props. Maybe one day I'll be able to get out to a group event and sample a few other combinations. In the mean time, I'm having fun out here on my own. And with the speed of this boat vs my last few, the delta just got a lot smaller. :wink:

Time to do a little on-line shopping now...

98shovel
05-06-2007, 11:40 AM
don
with the stainless trim the windshield is flat plexi i went to a plastics wharehouse and bought a 4x8 sheet for about a 100 bucks then used my old windshield for a pattern and cut it with a fine blade on a jig sawthen just sand the edge smooth the windshield should not need any extra support it might have had a small crack already or been brittle from age.
i just installed livorsi trim and drive ind. in the dash i dont like stuff on top put the indicator on right side of the helm moved the trim tab switches back above the throttle where u can get to them with out having to reach can post pics if u want

zelatore
05-06-2007, 01:06 PM
The Livorsi ultrathin 3 slot looks nice and no doubt is more accurate than the stock trim indicator. I need to measure out for the cables to be sure, but I'm guessing $700-800 for the hardware and certainly a more complicated installation. The alternative is to go with a Bennett electronic indicator control (replaces the stock rockers) and Gaffrig trim gauge for about $400 in parts and a lot less time on the install. I'm leaning toward the Livorsi, but we'll see how the budget looks.

98shovel
05-06-2007, 01:18 PM
check private message

yeller
05-06-2007, 01:35 PM
If you're on a budget, the Bennett TPI2000 tab indicators are a good choice. I installed them on mine last year and am very pleased with them. Here's a link to a review I did on them: http://www.performanceboat.us/forum/showthread.php?t=391
I know all to well of the wobble. If you think it's unnerving at 70, you should try it at 85. :eek!: :eek!:

zimm17
05-06-2007, 04:07 PM
My dad recently replaced my windshield plastic (stainless steel frame windshield). He bought a sheet of 3/8" (I think) UV protected tinted lexan. Lexan is much stronger than plexi and is for the most part unbreakable. I had cracked my plexi windshield during a poker run. Use your windshield as a template, then cut the new one out.

The sheet of lexan was about $350. I have enough left over to do a windshield or the two side windows, but not both.

BigGrizzly
05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
The trim indicators by stainless and Lavorsi are way more accurate than stock stuff. the are manual with cables not resistors .

Carl C
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I know all to well of the wobble. If you think it's unnerving at 70, you should try it at 85. :eek!: :eek!: I don't have any wobble with the same prop. It airs out and gets loose but goes straight. Easy 73s, 75s on a good day w/stock 496 ho. I wish it could go 85.:hyper:

roadtrip se
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Glad you had fun Zealtore on that virgin run. The Donzi affliction is upon you.

A couple of points to consider:

1) Don't do anything to the boat until you have a little time behind the wheel.

2) With time, tabs will become useless to you in all but the most radical cross winds, so tab indicators, as cool as they might be, are a waste of time and cash. I never, ever, use mine.

3) A trim indicator will be a big help, but after a while the only gauge that will matter other than the temp gauge will be the tachometer.

4) Try some props. The Mirage that the boat came with is, shall we say, not great. The Hyrdo Q4 24 and the Precison TXP 25 would be great places to start.

5) Plexi stinks as a performance boat windshield material. Lexan is much better. If your 2001 is like mine, the sides will be cross-drilled, and will crack sooner or later. Do a search and look for my and Rick SE's replacement thread on Lexan shields.

My two bits... and good luck.

zelatore
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
I've installed the Bennett indicators before, and I can get their stuff at wholesale prices. And although I suspect their tab indicators are accurate enough, I think I'll still want something better than the standard Merc trim gauge in the dash as those things are just not very good on any boat I've driven. So I'm leaning toward the Livorsi ultrathin 3 slot. I'll try to contact them this week while I'm at work.

I'll also talk with my usual plastics suppliers to see what they can do on a sheet of tinted Lexan although I won't be able to actually pull the old windshield and replace it unit next month...too many irons already in the fire between home and work.

And Yeller, I'll put up with the death wobble at 85, just as soon as you show me how to make my stock 502 push it that fast! Seriously though, I think a lot of it is just rookie driving. A little more practice on a nicer day and if I'm still getting it then I'll start thinking about new props.

Cuda
05-06-2007, 10:48 PM
3) A trim indicator will be a big help, but after a while the only gauge that will matter other than the temp gauge will be the tachometer.
You might find the oil pressure guage of interest from time to time also.

I agree with RT about tabs, number one, I don't have them on the 22, number two, I had them on the Minx and never used them, number three, I have k planes on my Formula, and even though I was told I'd need them to get on a plane, I don't need them, and hardly ever use them. Just a touch every once in a great while to level the boat from side to side, and I mean just a touch. I don't think I'd miss them if I didn't have them.

yeller
05-06-2007, 11:18 PM
With time, tabs will become useless to you in all but the most radical cross winds, so tab indicators, as cool as they might be, are a waste of time and cash. I never, ever, use mine.
That statement isn't necessarily true. It all depends on the boat. The newer boats need them more than the older ones. Not sure if your 01 will. When I got my 04, I had zero I/O experience and damn near killed myself because I took the advice here and tried to run without any tabs. FarmerTX runs his boat without tabs, but couldn't go 50' in mine without using them.

And Yeller, I'll put up with the death wobble at 85, just as soon as you show me how to make my stock 502 push it that fast! I have a B&M 177 blower for sale that'll fit. :wink:

RickSE
05-06-2007, 11:41 PM
zelatore,

Here are some posts with good info on the windshields.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43472

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35745

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39360

Finding a spot to install mechanical trim & tab indicators on a Classic can be a challenge. I put tab indicators on the right side of my steering wheel. The cables come out the bottom of the indicator and go through a hole in the side panel under the dash then to the back of the boat. I think I used 18' & 20' cables. I can check if you need the info. There are some pictures on page 3 of this post.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41118&page=3

Things will slow down as you get used to the speed. Mine doesn't usually chine walk but after 3-years in the boat I found myself comfortable driving through it @75+ last time I had the boat out.

Carl C
05-07-2007, 06:37 AM
RTSE, I respect your knowledge of Classic Donzis, you've been around them much longer then I have, but you might be "comparing apples to oranges". I believe you have an older model (without reverse chine?) with a Mercury racing motor and shorty drive. What works for you will not work for me or for some others. I must use some port tab or I'm running with a list except at high speed. This is dangerous and goofy looking. A little tab also helps keep the bow down when running at speed in rough chop. I have auto retractors so I always know where I'm starting from and personally don't see a need for indicators. I do think a trim indicator is a must. Yeller has had some drivability issues from the start but is running a higher pitch prop which I suspect could be part of the problem. I'm not going to start debating props because that's been done to death here but I do wonder how two nearly identical boats can behave so differently.

zelatore
05-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I do wonder how two nearly identical boats can behave so differently.

WHAT?!? You mean to tell me there's not one hot set-up that works perfectly for every boat? I'm so disapointed...I think I'll have to sell it now as I don't think I can stand having to do research and experiment. I thought everthing in the boating world was perfect right out of the box! :wink:

gold-n-rod
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
.....I do wonder how two nearly identical boats can behave so differently.

Carl's post has me wondering. Are a 496/B1 Classic 22 and a 502/B1 Classic 22 really "identical"?

The two powerplants are different in weight, hp and tq. values, right? And props work off those values, right?

Hmmmm, maybe not identical?

MOP
05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
On the tab issue no two boat react the same, my 22 did its dance from 3000 to 3500 then settled in. It had no tabs! When I did the rehab taking the advice of Geo and the owner of Hustler boats and a few others I put as much weight aft as possible including an new fuel that ended about 18 inches from the front of the engine,new 383 stroker, a Blackhawk drive and 12X12 Bennet tabs to tame the dance my initial experiment did not come out to great though I loved the handling that the Blackhawk drive gave the boat. Anyway with the weight shift aft and -0- tab down all the dance was gone and stayed gone througout the entire range even with the new BravoX which I thought would have a lever effect. When I was up at the 1000 Island run last year I decided to fill the forward tank you guessed it it danced like a drunken bar maid, weight position does have a great effect when it comes to that. Actually I really like having tabs, they come in handy for side to side leveling and help a lot with bad sea conditions. In speaking with a few of the wide stringer 22 guys those boats dance pretty bad due the the X being lower then older models, at 1K I ran with Carl & his misses that 05 did not dance it hopped clean out of the water a really weird ride.

Phil

zelatore
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Interesting to note you saw the biggest problems with forward weight bias as I was running with a full tank. I was thinking of ways to store a few things in the engine room but wondered about the balance - sounds like it might not be a bad idea after all even though I'm not talking about much weight anyway.

CHACHI
05-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I also think I need to find a set of flip-up wind deflectors that clamp on the top of the windshield - again, if anybody has a suggestion where to find them I'd appreciate it. I thought it was OK without, but my buddy was sulking down as low in the seat as he could manage to get out of the wind blast and I know the girlfriend will want them.
So other than the busted windshield :mad: (where do I find one of those?!?), a successfull first outing.
Don[/QUOTE]
Don. I too thought the wind blast was unacceptable, the windshield on the Minx has it all over the 22. I do not like the look of the clamp on wind deflectors. Came across this site http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm
This edgeing is used on motorcycle windshields and after a test run with a sample piece, I bought the 6 feet to do the top of the windshield. I have not installed the product yet as it has been on the cool side.
The edging is very low profile and does not distract from the lines of the boat. I hope to be installing it in a couple of weeks, I will report my findings.

Ken

zelatore
05-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I'll be interested to see how it turns out for you. There are several types of things like that for bikes but I've heard mixed review. No personal experience as I don't think they would make much difference on my Speed Tripple...

How are you attaching it to to the windshield? Do you have a newer boat without the stainless trim? I see it says it's good for up to 1/4" windshields.

RedDog
05-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I'll be interested to see how it turns out for you. There are several types of things like that for bikes but I've heard mixed review. No personal experience as I don't think they would make much difference on my Speed Tripple...
How are you attaching it to to the windshield? Do you have a newer boat without the stainless trim? I see it says it's good for up to 1/4" windshields.

I tried a 4 inch sample of the Micro-Swirl sticky back edging yesterday with inconclusive results - but I now realize that I installed it upside down Hopefully the next run after I turn it right side up it will perform better.

PS zelatore - congratulations on a fine boat!

Cuda
05-07-2007, 04:48 PM
I hope to be installing it in a couple of weeks, I will report my findings.
Ken
I would be very interested in you findings. I guess those Minx's just spoiled us.:wink:

zelatore
05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
No doubt the reverse venture windscreens work much better than just a normal raked-back windscreen. We use both styles on our Carvers and it's very obvious which works better when you drive them back to back.

Of course, they don't exactly look 'right' on a 22, do they?

Ah, the price you pay for style! :)

roadtrip se
05-07-2007, 05:54 PM
RTSE, I respect your knowledge of Classic Donzis, you've been around them much longer then I have, but you might be "comparing apples to oranges". I believe you have an older model (without reverse chine?) with a Mercury racing motor and shorty drive. What works for you will not work for me or for some others. I must use some port tab or I'm running with a list except at high speed. This is dangerous and goofy looking. A little tab also helps keep the bow down when running at speed in rough chop. I have auto retractors so I always know where I'm starting from and personally don't see a need for indicators. I do think a trim indicator is a must. Yeller has had some drivability issues from the start but is running a higher pitch prop which I suspect could be part of the problem. I'm not going to start debating props because that's been done to death here but I do wonder how two nearly identical boats can behave so differently.

Carl, my boat has the reverse chine. As a matter of fact, when we re-did the MYCO cradle for my trailer last year, they went over to the factory and measured a Shelby 22. Fits perfect now.

Before we went mod crazy, I had the 502 bravo and mirage 25 set up. I didn't use the tabs then either. I did experience the lean that you talk about, but getting the boat up out of the water with trim always resolved it. Trim and go versus tab and slow. My time in the 496HO boats show identical handling to what I had with the 502.

I'll give you the fact that some of these boats seem to walk the nose. I have been baffled by one here that belongs to a friend of mine. His X dimension is a half inch higher than mine, so I think this has something to do with it. I have confirmed that Yeller's X-dimension is identical to mine through Farmer Tex, so go figure. Tabbing them down is a bandaid in my eyes. Props and setup are more the answer in my opinion. Weight is also a big factor. Seat time, even bigger.

BigGrizzly
05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Zelator, again you will find the problem in the prop. Everyone who has a different problem they also have a different prop or size. Yes tabs can be used in instances of need with a trin of the out drive too.
All work together or apart depending on how you use them. Learning how to drive it is the issue. we can all make suggestions but you hve to feel confortable. Carl I use to think the way you do tab and trim indicators arn't needed. Boy was I wrong! When you get it right look at the indicators when thingsw are wrong play until it works then check again. Now when conditions are bad I just look down and move the buttons and volia problem solved. I have been racinf cars bikes and boats forever and have owned a Donzi since 1966, so I do have driving experience but indicators are a necessary thing now,

Carl C
05-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Seat time, even bigger. Ain't that the truth! I always appreciate your input, 'trip. I hope no one thinks I'm being confrontational, I'd like to see more discussions on driving these boats. Zelatore, if I can add one more thought, whatever windscreen you decide on, it's nice to be able to remove them. That wind in the face feels good on a hot day.:)

Tony
05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I tried a 4 inch sample of the Micro-Swirl sticky back edging yesterday with inconclusive results - but I now realize that I installed it upside down Hopefully the next run after I turn it right side up it will perform better.

Reddog, your 22 has the same windshield as my '96...I will be interested in your results. I'd love to discover a low-profile, reverse venturi solution to a wind deflector. Minxguy Ken has the right idea, but that particular style will not fit the stainless framed windshield.

:beer:

Tony
05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
All this talk about handling, props, chine walk, and trim...

Open the picture below for the perfect solution!

MOP
05-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Tony Ken has the S/S windshield! And I agree 100% on the smooth effortless way a dou lets you drive a boat, I loved the BH when I had it on just did not have enough ponies!

yeller
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Carl's post has me wondering. Are a 496/B1 Classic 22 and a 502/B1 Classic 22 really "identical"?
The two powerplants are different in weight, hp and tq. values, right? And props work off those values, right?
Hmmmm, maybe not identical?Carl was refering to my boat and his. Both 496/B1, 04 and a 05.

I agree that weight and distribution makes a difference. I'm about 175 and often ride alone. That's when the boat dances the most. With a 200lb passenger, it's less. Once I had 5 people in the boat and it was rock solid up 75mph. I don't like to go that fast with passengers because it's usually unstable, but with that weight load it wasn't an issue.
I also had a depth finder sending unit that was mounted through the hull about 3' up from the transom and 18" off center. Had that removed and the hole filled this summer. I'm hoping that was the cause of some of the high speed problems. Plus I'll finally be putting the hydraulic steering on soon.

Cuda
05-07-2007, 11:52 PM
I figure the weight in a 22 can vary by about 344 pounds in the same day with the same passengers. That's considering 53 gallons of fuel being burned at 6.5 pounds per gallon.

RickSE
05-08-2007, 12:34 PM
I think Mark at the factory explained the 22C handling best when he and I were chatted late last summer. His response was simple; the 22C is just a big rocker hull.

Props, weight distribution and X-dim have a big effect on these hulls.

MOP
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I would argue the point of a standard 22 having a rocker, a Blachawk yes which I have seen with my own eyes. I have run string lines on my keel which runs straight until it turns up forward the chines start to turn up a little sooner maybe 1/2 way from the bow, I would be real curios as to others input on their 22 hulls. To me when running only flatter section are wet similar to most other boats.

Phil

Carl C
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Maybe he meant it rocks back and forth because of the round hull and no pad. Mine has no rocker or hook.

CHACHI
05-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Reddog, your 22 has the same windshield as my '96...I will be interested in your results. I'd love to discover a low-profile, reverse venturi solution to a wind deflector. Minxguy Ken has the right idea, but that particular style will not fit the stainless framed windshield.
Tony, I have the S/S frame windshield and I will be installing the sticky back edging with the "cup" facing down towards the deck :wink: I am waffeling on the location of the install. Either the very top of the "glass" where it meets the frame or the very top of the frame itself. I think the edging will perform better installed at the higher of the two points and in the windsteam more, read top of windshield frame.
I am heading up to camp this weekend and will bring the edging to install it if time and weather permits, and of course the all important test drive.
Ken

Tony
05-09-2007, 07:48 AM
My mistake...I guess I thought you had the newer frameless dark plexi windshield. I'll be anxious to hear your results...

CHACHI
05-09-2007, 08:36 AM
My mistake...I guess I thought you had the newer frameless dark plexi windshield. I'll be anxious to hear your results...
If you are going to keep posting photos of your Volvo, paint the skeg wiil ya.

Tony
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
If you are going to keep posting photos of your Volvo, paint the skeg wiil ya.

I was wondering what persnickity eagle-eye would catch that! Actually, the paint has been ordered and is in my garage...just waiting for me to get the boat out of storage.

Pismo
05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I have found highest speed from no tabs, very high trim(almost to the limiter), light wind but with <1 foot chop. I am on the limiter with a 25" MPlus. It does start to roll on that rounded keel. It does settle in with some time. Need to try new props and install hydraulic steering.