PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

mrfixxall
05-05-2007, 08:02 PM
I may have a real good deal worked out on a new volvo DPR drive..

Any thoughts?

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/drives/DPR+Duoprop/

f_inscreenname
05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Lucky you.:)

Cuda
05-05-2007, 10:41 PM
What boat and drive are you running now?

mrfixxall
05-06-2007, 12:27 PM
What boat and drive are you running now?

Volvo penta 270 on a 1977 x18...Im just not sure about the electric shift..
I remember all the problems the omc had in the early days..

Tony
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
My '96 22' has a DPX and I love it. Good thrust throughout, and tracks like it's on rails. The DPR looks similar...integratred power steering, handles high hp...plus, hey, it's a Volvo!

Go for it...it will last you forever!

:beer:

Morgan's Cloud
05-07-2007, 06:53 AM
That unit is specifically for their big diesel engines . Are you sure it's what you want ?

Cuda
05-07-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure, but I think Forrest swapped over to a newer Volvo drive. I don't think it was a duoprop though.

mrfixxall
05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
That unit is specifically for their big diesel engines . Are you sure it's what you want ?

Good that means it will handle the 700hp i plan on putting through it:lookaroun:

gold-n-rod
05-07-2007, 01:00 PM
My '96 22' has a DPX and I love it. Good thrust throughout, and tracks like it's on rails.

True that! I can attest that Tony's 22 is easier to drive at 70 mph than grandma's Buick.

Excellent choice!

Forrest
05-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh, that's the one! As I understand it, the DPR is the model that replace the DPX. It actually can handle more power than even the DPX can. Volvo-Penta used to sell a fully warranted DPX 600 package. What's nice about the DPX and DPR, besides great durability and efficiency, is that they both have integrated external dual-ran hydraulic steering . . and yes, it handles like it is truly on rails. BTW, prop-slip percentage is in the single digits with these drives.

I'm not sure if the DPR uses the E-series Duo-Props like the DPX does. New E-series prop sets for the DPX run about $1100.00 a set street price. When available, used mint E series Duo Props are usually about half that on eBay when they come up.

I'm running twin DPX-A drives on Magnum 27, and getting ready to hand a Volvo SX drive on my X-18. I feel the the DPX drive is just too heavy for the 18.

mrfixxall
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh, that's the one! As I understand it, the DPR is the model that replace the DPX. It actually can handle more power than even the DPX can. Volvo-Penta used to sell a fully warranted DPX 600 package. What's nice about the DPX and DPR, besides great durability and efficiency, is that they both have integrated external dual-ran hydraulic steering . . and yes, it handles like it is truly on rails. BTW, prop-slip percentage is in the single digits with these drives.
I'm not sure if the DPR uses the E-series Duo-Props like the DPX does. New E-series prop sets for the DPX run about $1100.00 a set street price. When available, used mint E series Duo Props are usually about half that on eBay when they come up.
I'm running twin DPX-A drives on Magnum 27, and getting ready to hand a Volvo SX drive on my X-18. I feel the the DPX drive is just too heavy for the 18.

Im pretty sure weight wont be a issue,,remember when donzi put a trs and that xtra tranny in the boat? i believe that package was alot heavier then a dpr or a dpr drive...Im still waiting to hear from volvo on the g series peops that the dpr drive is spinning and if i can wing the drive to 5500 rpm...the diesel spins it at 3500 rpm.. I dont want to brake it with the 700hp engine that i want to put in frome of it...

Morgan's Cloud
05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
How will you adapt the inner trans plate to the flywheel housing ?