PDA

View Full Version : Engine Paint

Barry Eller
05-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I will be painting my 502. Are the cans of engine enamel at the auto parts stores worth the effort? I was thinking of painting the block, heads and my anodized Stealth intake with Imron. I have a small gravity feed HVLP gun, and I know how to use it. But the spray cans are so convient, and inexpensive.

I will have a "YELLOW MOTOR".

mrfixxall
05-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Barry,i wouldnt even bother with the rattle cans...With it being moiste all the time in the bilage the rattle cans just bont last. i use imron on all the engines i do in boats...i did mine in sun poppy yellow 7 yrs ago and it still looks shinny and new....total costs with paint and hardner was around 100 bucks...

Barry Eller
05-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Barry,i wouldnt even bother with the rattle cans...With it being moiste all the time in the bilage the rattle cans just bont last. i use imron on all the engines i do in boats...i did mine in sun poppy yellow 7 yrs ago and it still looks shinny and new....total costs with paint and hardner was around 100 bucks...

I figured as much, the "rattle cans" seemed so easy though. I don't have a sand blaster, I think a wire brush on a drill and spray everything with Ospho to kill the rust will work. What primer do you use? Do you use metal prep?

LKSD
05-06-2007, 11:15 AM
The Aeresol Phantom black & HP 500 blue have always worked fine for me & held up well.. Just build up several light coats.. Also if you want a different color Tempo makes some paint that works well & holds up well, just be sure to use all engine & drive paint only.. Otherwise results may really vary..

What ever you do choose to use, do several light coats to build it up & make sure your prep work is done right first.... CLEAN, clean , clean.. :) Hope this helps.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Cuda
05-06-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't doubt that Tempo makes the Phantom Black. I was at the only boat supply place here in Deland, and they had the Phantom Black Quicksilver on the same rack as the Tempo. I figured it would be twice as much as Tempo because it said Merc on it, but it was the same price as all the other colors on the rack. I can attest that whatever Merc uses is some tough azz stuff. It takes a WHILE to strip it even in a sand blasting cabinet. That goes for the black and the blue.

The engines in my Formula are yellow, and I wish they were black. It's a real pita to keep them looking decent. Maybe they didn't use the best paint on them, but I'm often out with a wire brush, rust reformer, and a rattle can to touch them up. Someday, I'll pull the intakes and paint them. The raw aluminum turns chitty looking pretty quickly. :(
I had an intake on an sbc that I bought used that had been painted with Imron, it looked great, and was tough as hell.

Barry Eller
05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm going to use Imron. I don't want to have to keep touching up and maintaining engine paint. Do it right the first time. Imron will hold up under high temps and it is resistant to gas, oil and salt. I don't want to keep the "Phantom Black", I don't have a Mercrusier/Mercury Racing Engine.

I have OMC King Cobra gray on the out drive.

The engine is of my design. All custom. So, I have a yellow and white Donzi... I want a yellow motor. My last name is ELLER, so from now on, the engines I build for my boat will be called "Y-ELLER MOTORS".

Let it be said...let it be written... :wink: :yes: :lightning :superman:

Yippy-Kai-Yay Rebuild: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48605

LKSD
05-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Sorry.. I forgot about you having the OMC & not the merc stuff.. Just what ever you use again make sure you keep it clean & prep it well otherwise no matter what you use you will end up scraping & painting periodically if it isn't done right for good surface adhesion.. Dirt & oil are the enemies in prep work as you already probably know.. :)

The y-eller paint should look cool though.. shoot some pics when you get it done.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

zimm17
05-06-2007, 04:10 PM
IMRON....great idea. I'll do that the next time the engine is apart. I did my heads with high heat black engine enamel- didn't last 6 months and now it's rusting. I also did 3 coats of clear on the intake- looks like nasty corroded raw aluminum already.

Cuda
05-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm going to see how the base/clear I used on the Performer is going to hold up, before I pull the intakes on the 302.

I used self etching primer, then painted them FORD BLUE (that was for Red Collins :) ), then used the base/clear over that. I could not believe how much easier it was to spray the base/clear compared to the polyurethane I used to paint the little Fomula. The base/clear wasn't cheap. I spent $214 for all the stuff I needed, including one pint of base.:eek!:

Cuda
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know how Imron sprays compared to either base/clear, or polyurethanes?

mrfixxall
05-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Does anyone know how Imron sprays compared to either base/clear, or polyurethanes?

imron is a urethane and it runs vary easy..

zimm17
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
For those of you who've sprayed Imron- is there a good "how to" somewhere on the internet?

Where do you get the supplies? What gun would you recommend? What resperator?

mrfixxall
05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
For those of you who've sprayed Imron- is there a good "how to" somewhere on the internet?
Where do you get the supplies? What gun would you recommend? What resperator?

Just dust on the first coat then wait 15 min then dust on the 2nd coat then wait another 15 min then lay it on crossing your pattern wait 20 min then lay on another coat crossing your pattern done.......Your local auto paint supply store should have it,,,you probably know this but its made by dupont and i use v-192s activator...the little hvlp will work for spraying the engine and just get one of those cheepo resperators...Imron is not so dangerous anymore since they took the lead out...

good luck

p.s. just make sure your cars and boat are not around when spraying, that stuff will stick to anything...sanded or not it wont come off...

mix it 3 to1

http://www.bennette.com/pdf/Imron3-5HG.pdf

Rootsy
05-07-2007, 06:16 AM
PPG DCC Concept Acrylic Urethane over DPLF Epoxy and Powdercoated accessories... ;) IT isn't cheap... but it'll last forever....