PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic

DonziJon
05-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Heard a rumour a couple of days ago that an old aquaintance....actually his decendents, ...that they had a "Squariel" in evidence at the dealership. I wasn't suprised as I knew that Dick Bettencourt had quite a collection of "Old" motorcycles. The person I heard it from knows nothing about old motorcycles, so when he mentioned Ariel, (He knew I had one) he otherwise had no knowledge of, I figured I had to check it out.

Today I took a ride ...on my "modern" motorcycle, a Yamaha Venture ('90). The rumour was true. After some ....lets say some name dropping, I got to look at their "Squariel" close up. It is a '53, 4 pipe, and quite complete. It hasn't been started up or run in 40 years.. my assesment. It seems to have been 'atomized" with a mist of oil all over to preserve it. The person that showed me the bike....in a "locked" outbuilding, is a son of Dick Betttencourt. If I got it right, there were three sons, the famous one being Johnny, the now deceased racer, and two sons surviving, which now run the dealership, Dick ..the senior, having also deceased.

The interesting thing was, the person who I first conversed with was named Avilino. HE ..a racer in his own right, (retired from the sport) was a decendent relative......my memory of family relationships...my own included, is lacking in compehension. Sam Avilino, now deceased, was a well known character in Revere, Mass many years ago, specializing in Royal Enfield. I met him when I first got the Ariel, while on my quest for Ariel parts sources. At the time he was probably 80+ years old.

I can't recall who on this board had an intimate knowledge of the Bettencourt story....I know MinxGuy did, but there was another member as well. :bonk:

I'm sure this story wouldn't be of interest to those that didn't know the participents...but... OH well. Just thought I'd pass it on for those old farts who remember: JOHN

gcarter
05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Interesting story John.

BTW, there have been a couple of Squarials on eBay whose owners think their bikes are Broughs, Vincents, or MV Augustas in drag.....

DonziJon
05-05-2007, 07:29 PM
George: Did I ever mention my Vincent "Black Lightning"?? :bonk: Just wondering. :lookaroun: John